Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2019, 03:09 PM

926 posts, read 417,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I thought it was relevant, I wanted a large bag because I knew it would be a long debate and I was right, no end in sight.
Alright, it will be $12. Would you like a drink with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 03:09 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post
I believe everyone should have the legal right to discriminate whoever they want, for whatever reason. That includes race, gender, sexual orientation, height, weight, color of the shoes, size of the hand... whatever.
Well, that's contrary to the Civil Rights Act and much of the spirit of the US Consititution.

I take it you would have loved to be in apartheid era South Africa, where discrimination of the races WAS legal AND required.

Old 05-30-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, that's contrary to the Civil Rights Act and much of the spirit of the US Consititution.

I take it you would have loved to be in apartheid era South Africa, where discrimination of the races WAS legal AND required.
Not at all. I would not have liked it there, since I'm most comfortable in very diverse areas. (as I've already stated earlier on in this thread).

Old 05-30-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins511 View Post
As long as she benefits from it, of course.
It would be nice not to make assumptions about someone you know nothing about. Thanks.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:09 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,265,780 times
Quote:
Alright, it will be $12. Would you like a drink with that?
Maybe I should get two.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:24 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times
Quote:
Not at all. I would not have liked it there, since I'm most comfortable in very diverse areas. (as I've already stated earlier on in this thread).
Well, South Africa by definition was and is very diverse ethnically. It's just that the opportunities weren't available to all - and depended on your ethnicity/race.

Yeah, you like it diverse - but you think it's okay for people to discriminate. Two different things.

Last edited by silverkris; 05-30-2019 at 05:59 PM..

Old 05-30-2019, 05:51 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,930,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In alot of cases, perhaps. In Barry Goldwater's case, yes. In the case of Gary Johnson, he went on record to say that he would have signed the Civil Rights Act. This caused some issues between him and other libertarians.

But just the same, if alot of people wonder why so many Blacks haven't voted for the GOP in a long time, 1964 is one year to look at.
Personally I think it's a tad bizarre that Gary Johnson has to go on record saying he would've signed the Civil Rights Act. & that would cause issue with other libertarians is why the ideology/quasi religion is sketchy to begin with.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Because the Democrats throw crumbs at them, and many prefer to cling to those crumbs. For some people, it's due to laziness; for others, it's a lack of self-confidence. They simply don't believe they can be successful on their own.
I have never heard one person say the reason they vote Democrat or Republican is because they "simply don't believe they can be successful on their own."

I don't believe you have either.

Old 05-30-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I believe everyone should have the legal right to discriminate whoever they want, for whatever reason. That includes race, gender, sexual orientation, height, weight, color of the shoes, size of the hand... whatever.
These people did too, what's your point?

2 landmark SCOTUS cases:

Quote:
Katzenbach v. McClung, 379 U.S. 294 (1964), is a United States Supreme Court case in which the Court unanimously held that Congress acted within its power under the Commerce Clause of the United States Constitution in forbidding racial discrimination in restaurants as this was a burden to interstate commerce.

... Congress passed the Civil Rights Act of 1964[1] outlawing segregation in American schools and public places. One section of the act, Title II, was specifically intended to grant African-Americans full access to public facilities such as hotels, restaurants, and public recreation areas. On the same day, the Supreme Court heard challenges to Title II from a motel owner and from Ollie McClung. Both claimed that the federal government had no right to impose any regulations on small, private businesses. Both ultimately lost.

... The court ruled unanimously that the Civil Rights Act is constitutional and that it was properly applied against Ollie's Barbecue.

... In Section 5 of the decision, the Court affirmed previous decisions that Congress has the authority to regulate local intrastate activities if the activities significantly affect interstate commerce in the aggregate, citing United States v. Wrightwood Dairy Co., Wickard v. Filburn, Gibbons v. Ogden, and United States v. Darby

The appellees objected to Congress' approach in determining what affects commerce, the court held, “Where we find that the legislators, in light of the facts and testimony before them, have a rational basis for finding a chosen regulatory scheme necessary to the protection of commerce, our investigation is at an end.”
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katzenbach_v._McClung

This was the case involving the 'motel owner' mentioned above:

Quote:
Heart of Atlanta Motel, Inc. v. United States, 379 U.S. 241 (1964),[1] was a landmark United States Supreme Court case holding that the Commerce Clause gave the U.S. Congress power to force private businesses to abide by Title II of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits discrimination in public accommodations.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hear..._United_States

What's your point?

Old 05-30-2019, 06:29 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Well I disagree. That chapter in history was already read. And it showed then when people are allowed to discriminate based on race and gender, they will do it. All the more reason it should not be considered a right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies