Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2019, 10:16 AM

2,260 posts, read 1,138,851 times

Advertisements

Republicans could care less about black people until they are needed for voting time. Hypocrites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 10:21 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
It really was unacceptable particularly in a country that had in its Constitution the language "no person shall be denied the equal protection of the laws" When in fact, blacks and other minorities were routinely denied their rights and treated as second class citizens. And don't get me started on voting rights either. They were guaranteed to black Americans by the Fifteenth Amendment, but routinely denied them by local governments who found 100 ways to circumvent the law. Thank heavens for the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

Some maintain there is some personal right or liberty to discriminate if you want too. I call BS on that. Business owners lose money when they fail to serve all customers who want to be served. The only "liberty" involved there is the freedom to lose money. If ever there was a "phony freedom" the freedom to discriminate is that.

It took the civil rights legislation and judges who were willing to enforce that law to bring Jim Crow to an end. If the "free market" had brought discrimination to an end it would have taken 200 years for it to happen. Two hundred years ain't acceptable.
Agreed. It said it right there in the Constitution that no one shall be denied the right to vote. When your state government is violating your right to vote, that is what the federal government should be there for. It should be there for put the local government back in its place and say "look, this is what the Constitution says. Don't like it, find another country to live in".

Roy Moore ran for Senate in Alabama last year. In 2011, he said that he would have liked to see every Amendment after the 10th Amendment eliminated. He said that getting rid of those amendments would "eliminate many problems". He never said what those problems were. However, this is what we know about some of them:
13th Amendment abolished slavery
14th Amendment gave citizenship to former slaves.
15th Amendment gave men of every race the right to vote, including Blacks.
19th Amendment gave women the right to vote.

This is what we know about Alabama. Blacks are 26% percent of Alabama's population. There are several majority-Black counties in southern Alabama, known as the Black Belt (where alot of cotton plantations of Alabama were located). Alabama used to be a slave state. Alabama was one of states that went forth and long to keep Blacks from voting.

The people who say "we have a right to discriminate" and claim it as some sign of liberty, they are stupid for trying such BS. I'd respect them more if they just came out and said "we want Jim Crow back because we don't want Blacks around us, we want segregation and a Whites only society". At least I'd know where some of those persons really stand.

If Black people "waited", Jim Crow would still exist today. Limited government will not do. Letting the "free market" take care of it will not do. This is why many libertarians and conservative Republicans have such a difficult time attracting African-Americans. People like me aren't seeing much good come out of it. Telling me "the Democrats have failed you" won't be enough. I ask this question. "What has the GOP don't for me LATELY?".

Old 05-29-2019, 10:26 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Why should anyone be "grateful" to Trump for doing his job? I don't remember Trump thanking anyone for being handed a steadily increasing economy.

Especially curious as to why "black voters" in particular should be "appreciative"? It appears that you are inferring that anyone with a job should vote for Trump. That sounds extremely illogical.

I remember when Obama said "you did not build this..." The right wing went nuts, claiming they did everything themselves regarding jobs and businesses. The black voters you refer to got the jobs themselves, or built their business themselves as well.

Old 05-29-2019, 10:30 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,172,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
How much is a large bag of popcorn and a coke?

That depends, if you're white you have to pay for it. if you're a minority, you have whites pay for it and then gib dat to the minority because of the white oppression suffered upon them.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:01 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
That depends, if you're white you have to pay for it. if you're a minority, you have whites pay for it and then gib dat to the minority because of the white oppression suffered upon them.
Yeah, well send me an email letting me know how much of your taxes went to my bag of popcorn, and I’ll gladly send it back to you.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah, well send me an email letting me know how much of your taxes went to my bag of popcorn, and I’ll gladly send it back to you.
Yep. Because Black people love being moochers and living off of everyone.

Either way, no one has come up with any tangible reason why Blacks should be grateful for Trump.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
LOL. "Unappreciative what T's done." I guess a lot of us are "unappreciative." That's a good one though!
It's just the latest of "obsess about Black voters" excuses. I wonder what someone else will come up with. First, it was "the Democrats are using you", then "the Democrats have brainwashed you", and then "Black people love Trump". Now, it's "Blacks are ungrateful". Who knows what someone will say next.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Republicans could care less about black people until they are needed for voting time. Hypocrites.
Well, some Republicans I could get behind. There are also many Republicans who I could not ever support. However, when it comes to this particular thread, some conservative/Republicans don't care about Blacks at all. Not even for voting time. This thread just illustrates resentment towards Blacks.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:22 AM

3,909 posts, read 2,123,635 times
Thread titles like these are why African Americans are going to Biden. Keep it up OP with your identity politics.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Here's a likely reason why he sounds like Ron Paul, & why he's likely a Trump supporter:

Adam Smith to Richard Spencer: Why Libertarians turn to the Alt-Right

Elliot Gulliver-Needham writes on the relatively underexplored trajectory of many 'libertarians' joining the far-right.

https://libcom.org/library/adam-smit...turn-alt-right

"I was watching Christopher Cantwell before he became known as the crying Nazi , when his chant was ‘taxation is theft’, not ‘Jews will not replace us’. I remember Stefan Molyneux when he was debating whether we should have a government, not whether government should be used to promote eugenics."

“We were all libertarians back in the day. I mean, everybody knows this”
This is how I see libertarianism, for the most part. It sounds good on paper, but in practice, it just isn't practical. It doesn't take into account that people will try to discriminate and do horrible things. It doesn't take into account that sometimes, it takes a strong government to enforce one's constitutional rights. It's attracting the alt-right because the alt-right/Neo-Nazis want look at the Libertarian Party as giving them the freedom to be racists and discriminate.

Libertarianism as a principle might work in a state like New Hampshire or Vermont, where the crime is very low, constitutional rights are respected, and those states came into the Union as free states. In a state like Alabama, it has shown that it will do some horrible things when left unsupervised. Slavery, Jim Crow, the poll tax. Human rights' has never really been respected in the Deep South.

https://ballotpedia.org/Libertarian_Party
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libert...(United_States)

The actual principles of the Libertarian Party are about individual rights, and much of it is based on classical liberalism. In principle, it was never meant to be haven for white supremacists. However, more and more white supremacists are looking to libertarianism as a means to their ends.

Now, Gary Johnson is a Libertarian that I can support. He supports the protections of the Civil Rights Act. He gets it.

My opinion is this. Libertarianism sounds good in theory in terms of individual liberties. However, many people attracted to libertarianism aren't that for that reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies