Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 08:33 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,215,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Yes, I do and you do know how averages work in math, yes? Just asking as a lead in not being snarky ...

World Data ... and you can read all of this if you like, I'm just going to pull two stats from their report.

Fertility Rate

"Globally, the fertility rate has fallen to 2.5 children per woman and low fertility rates are the norm in most parts of the world: The huge majority of the world population – 80% – now live in countries with a fertility rate below 3 children per woman.3 On the other end of the spectrum there are a few countries – home to around 10% of the world population – where women on average have still more than 5 children."
^^^^

Like you said, but on the average 2.5 global per woman

"The population of a society does not increase when every woman is replaced on average by two children."

What is the fertility rate for the u.s.? I'll give you a hint. It is less than 2.

And that is how they say is that ... any questions?

Also, what is happening in the undeveloped world is they need a place to go. What is happening in the developed world is, but they can't come here.

I've been watching this trend for (10 years) a while now and I'm almost giddy with laughter, because you know what happens when people cut their nose of to spite their face --- it never ends well for 'em. Compassion, the world needs some. If we can't find it, then the Governments can reap the not so nice benefits.

But I think I agreed with you but just don't understand what it is you have written.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 08:52 AM

25,583 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
That is nice that we have a lower birth rate then 1970 but the point is we added 20 million people in just the last 10 years or so. Or the population of New York or Florida. If we keep doing that the USA will have a population of a half a billion people in less then 100 years.
But the point is, we are not "doing that".
The fertility rate - the number of children each woman can be expected to have - is dropping everywhere in the world. And in the US it is 1.7.

If only half of the people in the world (women) can have children, then each woman must have 2 in order to maintain the population.
A world wide fertility rate of less than 2 would result in the eventual extinction of the human race. That will be demonstrated in future generations as the world wide population decreases.
America needs immigrants.

It may interest you to know that some countries are actually doomed already! Andorra, with a population of 75,000 and a fertility rate of 1.4 is a good example. Their population has dropped 10% in the past 7 years alone.
If that happens in the US, it will be very, very painful.

Old 05-25-2019, 08:57 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The fertility rate - the number of children each woman can be expected to have - is dropping everywhere in the world. And in the US it is 1.7.

If only half of the people in the world (women) can have children, then each woman must have 2 in order to maintain the population.
A world wide fertility rate of less than 2 would result in the eventual extinction of the human race. That will be demonstrated in future generations as the world wide population decreases.

It may interest you to know that some countries are actually doomed already! Andorra, with a population of 75,000 and a fertility rate of 1.4 is a good example. Their population has dropped 10% in the past 7 years alone.
Hmmm. What could we do to entice working families to have more children?

I can think of a few offhand ~ offer more paid maternity leave. More paid sick leave. Find a way to reduce the price of college (educated parents worry about the cost of college for more than 1-2 children); reduce the cost of child care . . . are just a few I can think of offhand.

In this economy - the middle class usually must have both parents working to maintain their status.

Make it easier.

Old 05-25-2019, 01:46 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times
Quote:
Also, what is happening in the undeveloped world is they need a place to go. What is happening in the developed world is, but they can't come here.

I've been watching this trend for (10 years) a while now and I'm almost giddy with laughter, because you know what happens when people cut their nose of to spite their face --- it never ends well for 'em. Compassion, the world needs some. If we can't find it, then the Governments can reap the not so nice benefits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
But I think I agreed with you but just don't understand what it is you have written.
Your comment is vague, so I'm not sure how to make what I have said more clear. Perhaps just to say, our culture changes may not have been actual changes that are beneficial, not only for mankind, but for the economics of our countries, as well.

Humanities defined (in 1992) as, 'the art of being human'. Seems to be fast becoming a lost art.

c'est la vie

Old 05-25-2019, 01:50 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Hmmm. What could we do to entice working families to have more children?
That is something the u.s. doesn't even want to think about ...

Old 05-25-2019, 01:53 PM

62,977 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

Nope, I disagree. A smaller population for our country and all over the world is much healthier and happier for everyone. We are not going to become extinct in most places and certainly not in this country.

Old 05-25-2019, 02:55 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,569,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Nope, I disagree. A smaller population for our country and all over the world is much healthier and happier for everyone. We are not going to become extinct in most places and certainly not in this country.
No, you're just going to make younger generations take on enormous tax burden.

Old 05-25-2019, 03:01 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,730,901 times
The population trends ebb and flow. Nothing you can do about it... whether it's white people or non-white people having the bulk of the babies, the human race will carry on until it doesn't any longer.

Old 05-25-2019, 03:20 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
That is something the u.s. doesn't even want to think about ...
We've basically set it up so that having kids is a complete financial hole/liability, so of course the birth rate is going to drop when people are struggling already and you make it that much harder on them if they have kids

Old 05-25-2019, 04:14 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
In two generations those immigrants will be out scoring the “American” kids on the SAT tests.....
In two generations they won’t be immigrants anymore will they genius?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies