Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 11:13 AM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I.E. letting said babies starve to death, sounds great 😑
Are you willing to adopt them all?

Do you at least acknowledge that too many people are bringing babies into the world all the while knowing that they can't properly feed, clothe and shelter them? With birth control available, there is no excuse for this behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 11:15 AM

34,066 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

We don't need to add anymore people to our population. It's long past time to drastically reduce legal immigration and send the illegal aliens packing.

Old 05-27-2019, 12:12 PM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:

And where will people find work in rural areas? Did you think about that? You have this naive vision of packing rural areas will millions of people who somehow will manage to make a living. Have you forgotten that we also need lots of farmland to feed people? And you want to take that farmland away?

Besides, look at PA. There are lots of mountainous areas where the land is not buildable due to the terrain. Everywhere in the country there are flatlands that have soil that's not conducive to building.

You need to get that image of 13 people per square mile out of your head.

Do you know how Montana got its name? Answer: all the mountains. Just take a drive through that states and you will quickly see that those mountains don't have all that much buildable land.

Some places have very harsh weather in the winter, like the Dakotas. Put millions of people there and you will need to find enough sources of fuel to keep them warm in the winter. You can say the same thing about Wyoming.

And where is all the money going to come from to add to the existing infrastructure? You know---roads, sewers, water treatment plants, electricity, etc.?

You really need to educate yourself on this issue. Just because our current population comes out to 13 people per square mile, doesn't mean we have unlimited buildable land and potable water. Those are 2 issues you willfully ignore.

We don't need to add anymore people to our population. It's long past time to drastically reduce legal immigration and send the illegal aliens packing.

Oh...BTW if PA is so great with all this, according to you, buildable land, then what are you doing in San Diego? Think about that for a minute.
All good points and there is a reason that people crowd into places that have good weather and large cities where there are jobs. Immigrants nor most Americans want to live in places like the Dakotas as it's too cold. And added population growth from "immigrants" will just have the same results.

Old 05-27-2019, 01:25 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:

And where will people find work in rural areas? Did you think about that? You have this naive vision of packing rural areas will millions of people who somehow will manage to make a living. Have you forgotten that we also need lots of farmland to feed people? And you want to take that farmland away?

Besides, look at PA. There are lots of mountainous areas where the land is not buildable due to the terrain. Everywhere in the country there are flatlands that have soil that's not conducive to building.

Do you know how Montana got its name? Answer: all the mountains. Just take a drive through that states and you will quickly see that those mountains don't have all that much buildable land.

Some places have very harsh weather in the winter, like the Dakotas. Put millions of people there and you will need to find enough sources of fuel to keep them warm in the winter. You can say the same thing about Wyoming.

And where is all the money going to come from to add to the existing infrastructure? You know---roads, sewers, water treatment plants, electricity, etc.?

You really need to educate yourself on this issue. Just because our current population comes out to 13 people per square mile, doesn't mean we have unlimited buildable land and potable water. Those are 2 issues you willfully ignore.

Oh...BTW if PA is so great with all this, according to you, buildable land, then what are you doing in San Diego? Think about that for a minute.
I have to correct you on Montana, only the western 1/3 the state has mountains. The majority of the state is relatively flat

Old 05-27-2019, 01:27 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Are you willing to adopt them all?

Do you at least acknowledge that too many people are bringing babies into the world all the while knowing that they can't properly feed, clothe and shelter them? With birth control available, there is no excuse for this behavior.
That's a strawman argument.

And I'll counter you this, anyone who has this stance can't truly be "pro life", you should be all for abortion if you're willing to let the born babies of poor people starve to death

Old 05-27-2019, 01:29 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,693,567 times
Capitalism does not work unless there is a growing population. This is the real reason republicans have come out against abortion. The elites need debt slaves and slaves for their prisons for profit. The only way to feed the capitalist way of life is more people, but notice that Comrade Trump only wants people of education and those from Europe. Demented Don has more than enough illegal Hispanics working at Mar-A-Lago.

Old 05-27-2019, 01:54 PM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Capitalism does not work unless there is a growing population. This is the real reason republicans have come out against abortion. The elites need debt slaves and slaves for their prisons for profit. The only way to feed the capitalist way of life is more people, but notice that Comrade Trump only wants people of education and those from Europe. Demented Don has more than enough illegal Hispanics working at Mar-A-Lago.
You can still have a capitalistic society while stabilizing population growth. At this point in time that's what I think we ought to strive for not increasing our population. No, most Republicans mainstream or otherwise oppose abortion because they think it's immoral. It is the Democrats that want to increase our population with illegal aliens and immigrants so that they will have more Democrat voters. Comrade Trump, Demented Don? Can't you lefties ever debate without the childish insults?

There has only been one illegal alien that was caught working on Trump's properties and she presented fake documents to do so. It's never been proven that Trump "knowingly" had any illegals working for him. He uses e-verify for all of his businesses now. If you think it's only some greedy Republicans that use cheap, illegal slave labor then you're not dealing in reality.

Old 05-27-2019, 02:20 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,569,100 times
Quote:

I'm trying to be nice to you - - don't insult me. I taught a section of a college class on the very topic of this. Once again READ THE BOOK THAT I'VE MENTIONED THREE TIMES ALREADY IN THIS THREAD. YOU educate yourself on the topic. You don't think other countries have places that are hard to live in? Some states have the Rockies in them? Some countries have the Alps in them. And yet Austria has 40 people per square mile. France has 46. Italy has 76. Switzerland has 80. Germany has 89. All those mountains - - and yet somehow they are able to have significantly more people per square mile than the United States has.

I grew up in Cumberland County Pennsylvania. There aren't major mountains stopping people from living there. There's plenty of room; there's plenty of water. I'd live there or Pittsburgh today; this is where my wife (who didn't grow up in Pennsylvania) wanted to live.

Not that I think you give a damn, but the economic effects of having a dwindling birth rate are devastating to younger generations. As more Baby Boomers become older senior citizens, that tax bomb is going to fall on the younger, smaller generations, ones that are already saddled with huge student loan debt. Immigrants are the only way that you're going to get more tax payers to help with those social security/Medicare/Medicade balloons. If you are a "I've got mine" guy, I'm sure you believe we don't need to add people to our population. Younger people are going to disagree with you, if they understand the economic ramifications of not replacing the dead.

Old 05-27-2019, 02:51 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,363,830 times
Why do we need more immigration, when automation is threatening to wipe out huge swaths of jobs over the next few decades???

Old 05-27-2019, 02:57 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,363,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
I'm trying to be nice to you - - don't insult me. I taught a section of a college class on the very topic of this. Once again READ THE BOOK THAT I'VE MENTIONED THREE TIMES ALREADY IN THIS THREAD. YOU educate yourself on the topic. You don't think other countries have places that are hard to live in? Some states have the Rockies in them? Some countries have the Alps in them. And yet Austria has 40 people per square mile. France has 46. Italy has 76. Switzerland has 80. Germany has 89. All those mountains - - and yet somehow they are able to have significantly more people per square mile than the United States has.

I grew up in Cumberland County Pennsylvania. There aren't major mountains stopping people from living there. There's plenty of room; there's plenty of water. I'd live there or Pittsburgh today; this is where my wife (who didn't grow up in Pennsylvania) wanted to live.

Not that I think you give a damn, but the economic effects of having a dwindling birth rate are devastating to younger generations. As more Baby Boomers become older senior citizens, that tax bomb is going to fall on the younger, smaller generations, ones that are already saddled with huge student loan debt. Immigrants are the only way that you're going to get more tax payers to help with those social security/Medicare/Medicade balloons. If you are a "I've got mine" guy, I'm sure you believe we don't need to add people to our population. Younger people are going to disagree with you, if they understand the economic ramifications of not replacing the dead.
All those countries you mentioned are far smaller than the United States in land mass. So not necessarily a good argument.

Many millennials are working jobs that don't pay enough to support a family, much less the Baby Boomers who are expected to retire en mass. Adding more people via immigration will make this situation worse by pushing wages down for the limited number of jobs. Many of which are threatened with extinction by automation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies