Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 07:51 AM

18,473 posts, read 7,127,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
It’s all explained, in detail, in the decision to which I linked on the first page. If you can’t be bothered to read it in an attempt to educate yourself, I can’t be bothered to try and spoon-feed it to you.

So that would be a yes then on not caring about proper oversight vs political harassment.

Gotcha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 07:52 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,605,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
So that would be a yes then on not caring about proper oversight vs political harassment.

Gotcha.
I don't care to explain to you what oversight means or how it applies here if you are incapable of reading and digesting the document explaining it.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:55 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,010,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
The TDS hyperventilating and aneurysms begins, Lol

Democrats won’t get it, for it serves no legal legislative purpose. If by a miracle they do get hold of them it’s gonna be another double-stack nothing burger. Lol
Fantastic! Since it's such a nothing burger, Trump supporters and Trump himself won't mind turning his financial records over because he has nothing to hide. Oh wait. . .

Old 05-21-2019, 07:56 AM

18,473 posts, read 7,127,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
I don't care to explain to you what oversight means or how it applies here if you are incapable of reading and digesting the document explaining it.

The fact that you don't like the President isn't a legal justification for never ending investigations when there is nothing to base a suspicion of wrong doing on.

That's sort of the definition of a Witch Hunt.

I get it.....you don't think Congress needs probable cause.

But isn't that really kind of admitting that the whole thing is politically motivated?

Old 05-21-2019, 08:16 AM

518 posts, read 450,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
And if Trump continues to ignore the demand for records. He has the full support of Barr and the DOJ on his side? What comes next?

What's next? I'm guessing a likely appeal on constitutional grounds from Trump and the White House on the grounds that forcing him to release his tax returns violates his rights to privacy the way it does for every U.S. citizen.

It is illegal for the IRS to disclose someone's tax return or tax information without the consent of the taxpayer. Furthermore, there is no law that says the president or any private citizen for that matter must release their tax returns or bank records barring a pending criminal (and in some cases civil) proceeding that compels the president or a private citizen to turn these documents over to investigators.

Long story short....until Trump is formerly charged with a crime that would lawfully compel him to turn over tax returns or bank records he's well within his legal rights to fight any such request which is why I think this judge's ruling will be appealed all the way to the Supreme Court and has a great chance of being overturned on appeal on the grounds that the President hasn't been formerly charged of a crime. He hasn't been charged because no probable cause has been shown that a crime has even occurred.

If Democrats are that hell bent on getting the president at any cost it may help if they provided solid evidence of at the very least probable cause that a specific crime involving money laundering with Russians occurred. They can put their money where their mouth is and impeach him on the grounds that he laundered money with the Russians and THEN they compel Trump to turn over his tax returns and bank records.

I know this is a difficult concept for the Orange Man Bad crowd who have adopted Stalin's beliefs on equal justice of "show me the man, and I'll show you the crime" but due process and the exact opposite of that motto still applies in our Constitutional Republic no matter how bad those who tried to destroy Kavanaugh and those still trying to destroy Trump wish that wasn't the case.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:36 AM

13,270 posts, read 21,891,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205 View Post
What's next? I'm guessing a likely appeal on constitutional grounds from Trump and the White House on the grounds that forcing him to release his tax returns violates his rights to privacy the way it does for every U.S. citizen.

It is illegal for the IRS to disclose someone's tax return or tax information without the consent of the taxpayer. Furthermore, there is no law that says the president or any private citizen for that matter must release their tax returns or bank records barring a pending criminal (and in some cases civil) proceeding that compels the president or a private citizen to turn these documents over to investigators.

Long story short....until Trump is formerly charged with a crime that would lawfully compel him to turn over tax returns or bank records he's well within his legal rights to fight any such request which is why I think this judge's ruling will be appealed all the way to the Supreme Court and has a great chance of being overturned on appeal on the grounds that the President hasn't been formerly charged of a crime. He hasn't been charged because no probable cause has been shown that a crime has even occurred.

If Democrats are that hell bent on getting the president at any cost it may help if they provided solid evidence of at the very least probable cause that a specific crime involving money laundering with Russians occurred. They can put their money where their mouth is and impeach him on the grounds that he laundered money with the Russians and THEN they compel Trump to turn over his tax returns and bank records.

I know this is a difficult concept for the Orange Man Bad crowd who have adopted Stalin's beliefs on equal justice of "show me the man, and I'll show you the crime" but due process and the exact opposite of that motto still applies in our Constitutional Republic no matter how bad those who tried to destroy Kavanaugh and those still trying to destroy Trump wish that wasn't the case.
Another "legal expert" who hasn't bothered to read the judge's ruling.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:45 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,445,858 times
The Democrats need to start an impeachment inquiry.

Looks like bad comes back full circle.
DONALD TRUMP'S SUBPOENA APPEALS NOW HEAD TO MERRICK GARLAND'S COURT
https://www.newsweek.com/trump-subpo...-court-1431543

Last edited by KayAnn246; 05-21-2019 at 09:02 AM..

Old 05-21-2019, 09:09 AM

1,768 posts, read 570,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
The fact that you don't like the President isn't a legal justification for never ending investigations when there is nothing to base a suspicion of wrong doing on.

That's sort of the definition of a Witch Hunt.

I get it.....you don't think Congress needs probable cause.

But isn't that really kind of admitting that the whole thing is politically motivated?
Like the eleventy billion investigations into Benghazi?

Oh right - Hillary = bad evil witch liar demon spawn should be killed, Trump = god's anointed angel savior must rule over us all for eternity thank you thank you donald for blessing us with your holy presence

Old 05-21-2019, 09:12 AM

23,176 posts, read 12,294,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
He also denied the stay:

U.S. District Judge Amit Mehta in Washington also denied a request by Trump to stay his decision pending an appeal.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump...211051655.html

That's why district judges don't have the final authority. Hold your breath and wait for those records!

Old 05-21-2019, 09:18 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,445,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
We need to look at his ruling, I don’t recall Obama or Bush pointing out ethnic background or party affiliation every time a judge ruled against them. It’s one thing for us to have an opinion but Trumps comments are an attempt to undermine the courts.
It's clearly another attempt by Individual 1 to run his con game. No one with credibility takes him seriously.

We may know more soon because he will continue to lose in court for his stonewalling. Besides the law, here is another reason why:
DONALD TRUMP’S SUBPOENA APPEALS NOW HEAD TO MERRICK GARLAND’S COURT
Quote:
Merrick Garland is currently the chief judge at the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals, where President Trump’s legal battle will head next as the president's attorneys attempt to reverse the earlier court ruling in favor of Congress.
“I wonder who the chief judge is in the circuit where all of the fights between Congress and Trump will play out and whether he cares about partisan norm-busting. Oh that’s right.... It’s some guy named Merrick Garland,” Matthew Miller, a former spokesman at the Department of Justice, tweeted.
https://www.newsweek.com/trump-subpo...-court-1431543
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies