Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 12:38 AM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

Just like last year, it's not that people in general dislike the LGBT community, it's just that people are tired of the perception that the LGBT community themselves are intolerant and seem to revel in making people uncomfortable. It's one thing to seek acceptance, another to get in people's faces demanding 'rights' and delight in shocking them.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/glaad-acc...205604705.html
Quote:
A new survey shows that overall acceptance of LGBTQ people among young adults has dipped for the second year in a row.

Released Monday, GLAAD’s 2019 Accelerating Acceptance Report asked 1,970 Americans over the age of 18 a series of questions with regard to their reactions to several different situations involving LGBTQ people. Participants were asked how they felt about seeing a same-sex couple hold hands, learning that a family member or a doctor identifies as LGBTQ and learning that their child has been placed in a class taught by an LGBTQ teacher, among other situations.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:00 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,430,854 times
This month especially it's like we're getting beat over the head with it. Instead of a hand held out in friendship it's more of a fist threatening to pummel us for any perceived wrong-think.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:12 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,141 times
From looking at the report, I'm guessing three things:

1. Based on the sample size, I'm guessing that maybe 300 non-LGBTQ+ people were interviewed, so a few percent here and there is within the margin of error.

2. For younger people, the threshold to identifying as LGBTQ+ is lower, and lessening particularly in the last few years. This may leave the non-LGBTQ+ group as more resistant than before.

3. The idea of what constitutes LGBTQ+ people amongst younger people may be changing more rapidly than for older people. These younger people may be completely comfortable with your average gay and lesbian people getting married and whatnot, but may have some reservations about misgendering a person as a horrific microaggression, for example.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:16 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Just like last year, it's not that people in general dislike the LGBT community, it's just that people are tired of the perception that the LGBT community themselves are intolerant and seem to revel in making people uncomfortable. It's one thing to seek acceptance, another to get in people's faces demanding 'rights' and delight in shocking them.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/glaad-acc...205604705.html
Yep.

This isn't news to those of us who have been living in reality.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:19 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
Meh... I don’t dislike or like them as a standalone sub-group. I guess if anything the further we get into identity politics and building out new ways to break ourselves apart I tend to care less.

If you want to wear rainbow T-shirt’s and fly pride flags then great that is your prerogative. Just don’t expect me to care and don’t label me as an enemy if I don’t participate in your events. And for the love of Christ don’t block a significant portion of downtown with a 1/2 day parade when I need to get ish done.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:21 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Anecdotal I know but the two gay people I know best are married to each other.

They do not particularly like the TQ part of LGBTQ and somewhat resent the addition. They mostly just want to be left alone to live their lives.

Not sure how many people are comfortable with the more activist end of the movement. The one that lets boys who ID as girls claim the number 1 and 2 spots in the CT state running championships for example.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:27 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Meh... I don’t dislike or like them as a standalone sub-group. I guess if anything the further we get into identity politics and building out new ways to break ourselves apart I tend to care less.

If you want to wear rainbow T-shirt’s and fly pride flags then great that is your prerogative. Just don’t expect me to care and don’t label me as an enemy if I don’t participate in your events. And for the love of Christ don’t block a significant portion of downtown with a 1/2 day parade when I need to get ish done.
That's the issue. It went from being: tolerate/acceptance/celebrate/worship/exhault us.

If you are asked to go to a pride event and decline you are IMMEDIATELY labeled a homo-hater [not using homophobe anymore since I do not knwo anyone who is *afraid* of gay people]. No question about it.

It's not about choice. It's about 100% do what we tell you do to or you will be labeled a hater. And people are tired of it.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:29 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
I think many are more uncomfortable with the “T” than the LGB.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:31 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
That's the issue. It went from being: tolerate/acceptance/celebrate/worship/exhault us.

If you are asked to go to a pride event and decline you are IMMEDIATELY labeled a homo-hater [not using homophobe anymore since I do not knwo anyone who is *afraid* of gay people]. No question about it.

It's not about choice. It's about 100% do what we tell you do to or you will be labeled a hater.
Agreed when that is 100% not the case, I just don’t like identity politics in general. Also the labels or prejudices we assign to those groups don’t account for the individual. At the end of the day I’m happy that they are feeling empowered, celebrating their own pride and culture. That is great! Just don’t expect me to share the sentiment or even care as I don’t identify with it. But that doens’t mean I don’t support their write to do all of those things (within reason).

I will say when I see houses with 2 pride flags and 0 American flags it does make me scratch my head a bit. I do smile when they have an American flag posted higher on their porch and a pride flag in the yard. But that is just my sentiment.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:32 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Other people’s sexual orientation is none of my business.

I don’t understand the obsession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies