Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 07:04 PM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times

Advertisements

I wonder how many people would refer to any group of people who would want to secede from the U.S.A. as "traitors"?

As I have said SO many times, I am a Yankee through and through, but I do believe in the right of secession -- although I think that slavery or oppression of any group of people was and is TERRIBLE and an absolutely rotten reason to secede. (Of course!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 07:38 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I wonder how many people would refer to any group of people who would want to secede from the U.S.A. as "traitors"?

As I have said SO many times, I am a Yankee through and through, but I do believe in the right of secession -- although I think that slavery or oppression of any group of people was and is TERRIBLE and an absolutely rotten reason to secede. (Of course!)
There are people on active threads on CD right now referring to Democrats/liberals as traitors simply for having different political beliefs. So yeah, I can live with calling people who fought a war for the right to secede so they could continue to own other people traitors.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:32 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
There are people on active threads on CD right now referring to Democrats/liberals as traitors simply for having different political beliefs. So yeah, I can live with calling people who fought a war for the right to secede so they could continue to own other people traitors.
Here is a better question. What is the point of venerating people who fought for a cause deeply rooting in keeping slavery in the South? And don't tell me "southern heritage".

Old 09-09-2019, 08:36 PM

2,923 posts, read 978,426 times
The il state farm is attended by mostly white people and rednecks so I'm a little surprised. Not too many blacks at the fair

Old 09-09-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
The il state farm is attended by mostly white people and rednecks so I'm a little surprised. Not too many blacks at the fair
This is Illinois, not Georgia or Alabama. Different dynamic. Illinois might have some conservatives down state, but it's a different state than Alabama. Illinois can't make the excuse of "southern heritage". There are individuals here in Alabama and Georgia who will spout the "southern heritage" garbage.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:30 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is Illinois, not Georgia or Alabama. Different dynamic. Illinois might have some conservatives down state, but it's a different state than Alabama. Illinois can't make the excuse of "southern heritage". There are individuals here in Alabama and Georgia who will spout the "southern heritage" garbage.
In a state like Illinois the display of confederate flags could simply be an act of defiance against people who feel as you do. Many simply want the offended to get the message that they do not care what y’all think about the display of confederate flags and they will fly them regardless of how much it offends certain people. The conservative right is not going to yield on this issue. You see confederate flags all over the nation these days, many of them fly just to demonstrate the right to do so. We ain’t havin political correctness anymore.....done tolerating this un American nonsense.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
In a state like Illinois the display of confederate flags could simply be an act of defiance against people who feel as you do. Many simply want the offended to get the message that they do not care what y’all think about the display of confederate flags and they will fly them regardless of how much it offends certain people. The conservative right is not going to yield on this issue. You see confederate flags all over the nation these days, many of them fly just to demonstrate the right to do so. We ain’t havin political correctness anymore.....done tolerating this un American nonsense.
People like me feel the way we do because history shows that Confederate sympathizers are wrong, period. You can claim you have the right to fly that piece of garbage flag all you want. But show me where I've lied about the Confederate cause. Until you can prove that I've lied, then people like me have every reason to be offended by Confederate flags.

All you care about is your right to be wrong. People like me are going to keep pushing back. People like understand that people like you are wrong, period. Flying that Confederate flag represents unAmerican values. It represents a bigoted value system. If bigoted nonsense is among your values, if the southern Jim Crow way of life is part of your value system, then people like me are going to keep pushing back.

I don't care what you "think" the Confederate flag represents. I only care about what the facts say. Facts are more important than how you feel.

Some people who feel the way I do burn Confederate flags. Here is video footage of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO_o1RE4BRk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEaPew3Os3w

Old 09-09-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

Well, this is my perspective. I'm a Black man and the Confederates are disgusting in my book. All I need to do is read the Articles of Secession and the Confederate Constitution. Those documents are among the reasons I have a severe disdain for the Confederate flag. And according to the Constitution, Robert E. Lee is a traitor. He swore to protect the USA and its Constitution when he graduated from West Point. He chose his "beloved Virginia" over the USA. He sided with the Confederate forces. He's a traitor and should have been treated as such. And when the South lost at the end of the Civil War, there should have been a process simila to what happened after the Nazis got their rear ends handed to them at the end of WWII.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:54 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
People like me feel the way we do because history shows that Confederate sympathizers are wrong, period. You can claim you have the right to fly that piece of garbage flag all you want. But show me where I've lied about the Confederate cause. Until you can prove that I've lied, then people like me have every reason to be offended by Confederate flags.

All you care about is your right to be wrong. People like me are going to keep pushing back. People like understand that people like you are wrong, period. Flying that Confederate flag represents unAmerican values. It represents a bigoted value system. If bigoted nonsense is among your values, if the southern Jim Crow way of life is part of your value system, then people like me are going to keep pushing back.

I don't care what you "think" the Confederate flag represents. I only care about what the facts say. Facts are more important than how you feel.

Some people who feel the way I do burn Confederate flags. Here is video footage of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO_o1RE4BRk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEaPew3Os3w
You have an opinion different than mine but you have no ground to stand on when you say with self appointed authority that I am wrong. No I am not, my beliefs are rooted in the constitution and the values of the founding fathers. The confederate cause of states rights is enshrined in the 10th amendment because it was THAT important to the founding fathers that states retain their right to make most of their own laws. You also greatly oversimplify the slavery issue into a “north good...south bad” type argument but slavery by the time of the war had been embedded in our society for hundreds of years by the British, made possible by the Africans who sold their own people and all this mess was dropped into the hands of our ancestors who founded this nation.

There was no easy solution but the North being less economically dependent on slavery elected a government that would likely have demanded the south give up their slaves and accept impoverishment over the then contemporary northern belief the institution should be outlawed. At the time the system of slavery in place had existed for 200 years and the south was economically dependent upon it. When the south seceded in response to the election the north raised an army (they did this BEFORE sumpter was fired upon)resulting in a bloody and unconstitutional war to solve the problem, one that left them the economic masters over the south for a hundred years when the north won the war. There could have been a compromise or agreement that dealt with slavery in a way that violated no ones constitutional rights, one that compensated slave owners who were not at fault for an institution that had existed long before their time and one where the states themselves chose to outlaw it when they were ready and after they had been compensated for the value of the lost property. This WAS possible but it would not have enriched the north....which is likely why a solution like this was not considered as the goal of the north was economic domination of the union. Also worth noting that the north did not treat blacks well at all either, they lived no better up there. They lived in poverty and the local northern whites hated their presence. Many will tell you that today the most racist parts of America are in the north, especially the Midwest.

You make clear your offended status as a black man. I readily admit that I could care less how blacks feel about this. In my opinion that is their problem not mine. I display and support the confederate flags and statues to honor southern heritage, to display my support for states rights in modern times and to display my defiance and utter disgust for the politically correct. Leftists and the politically correct are a cancer on the freedoms we Americans cherish, a cancer on the nation itself.

You have every right to burn those flags just as I have every right to despise what you stand for. I have no responsibility for your sensitivities on this issue or any other.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:16 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
You have an opinion different than mine but you have no ground to stand on when you say with self appointed authority that I am wrong. No I am not, my beliefs are rooted in the constitution and the values of the founding fathers. The confederate cause of states rights is enshrined in the 10th amendment because it was THAT important to the founding fathers that states retain their right to make most of their own laws. You also greatly oversimplify the slavery issue into a “north good...south bad” type argument but slavery by the time of the war had been embedded in our society for hundreds of years by the British, made possible by the Africans who sold their own people and all this mess was dropped into the hands of our ancestors who founded this nation.

There was no easy solution but the North being less economically dependent on slavery elected a government that would likely have demanded the south give up their slaves and accept impoverishment over the then contemporary northern belief the institution should be outlawed. At the time the system of slavery in place had existed for 200 years and the south was economically dependent upon it. When the south seceded in response to the election the north raised an army (they did this BEFORE sumpter was fired upon)resulting in a bloody and unconstitutional war to solve the problem, one that left them the economic masters over the south for a hundred years when the north won the war. There could have been a compromise or agreement that dealt with slavery in a way that violated no ones constitutional rights, one that compensated slave owners who were not at fault for an institution that had existed long before their time and one where the states themselves chose to outlaw it when they were ready and after they had been compensated for the value of the lost property. This WAS possible but it would not have enriched the north....which is likely why a solution like this was not considered as the goal of the north was economic domination of the union. Also worth noting that the north did not treat blacks well at all either, they lived no better up there. They lived in poverty and the local northern whites hated their presence. Many will tell you that today the most racist parts of America are in the north, especially the Midwest.

You make clear your offended status as a black man. I readily admit that I could care less how blacks feel about this. In my opinion that is their problem not mine. I display and support the confederate flags and statues to honor southern heritage, to display my support for states rights in modern times and to display my defiance and utter disgust for the politically correct. Leftists and the politically correct are a cancer on the freedoms we Americans cherish, a cancer on the nation itself.

You have every right to burn those flags just as I have every right to despise what you stand for. I have no responsibility for your sensitivities on this issue or any other.
Enjoy the last vestiges of your racism while it lasts because whites will soon be the minority in this country. And when I read things like this post, even as a white person, I say good, that time can't come soon enough if this attitude still exists.

And I think it's pretty clear exactly which side is a cancer on America, and it's not the left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies