Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2019, 11:41 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,280,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
And I think Pritzker went too far, but there will be people of color at a state fair who may take offense at their Confederate flag, so there's that.
Which might be a good point if we were talking about a Confederate flag being displayed. But we're not. "Confederate" is just a part of the band's name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 06:44 PM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Just came across this controversy while researching something else. I think the first statement shows that these guys are classy despite their name. The second link says that they are sticking to their name and NOT changing it.

https://tasteofcountry.com/confedera...ame-statement/

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/01/enter...rnd/index.html

Old 09-03-2019, 06:54 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Illinois derives its name from the word "Illiniwek" which is the Native American name for the Illini tribe. Maybe the Tribe doesn't think it's an honor?
They were virtually wiped out in the early 1800's by other tribes.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:07 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,380,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Can we all finally admit that Political Correctness has gone too far?
Political correctness went too far the instant it was conceived. There is no limit to the evil it is intended to accomplish.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:20 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Good. Anything named in honor of Confederates, let it get stomped out forever. If that makes me "politically correct" then I wear the title with the utmost honor.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:24 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Political correctness went too far the instant it was conceived. There is no limit to the evil it is intended to accomplish.
The intentions are clear for anyone who ever studied the history of Marxism. Same technique, same goal.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:29 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,939,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Good grief- are they going to cancel Lady Antebellum as well? Or Alabama?

This is preposterous and why some people recoil at any mention of political correctness or any issue related to diverse viewpoints.
Yes I'm wondering about Lady Antebellum. Some people refer to them as Lady A now!!! Some people also want to ban Hank Jr for songs like "If the South Woulda Won". If someone don't want to listen to Confederate Railroad then don't buy their tickets!!!

I'm sure contemporary Christian music like Lauren Daigle or Chris Tomlin will be banned soon too, if its not already banned. But an Islamic show would be totally fine.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Yes I'm wondering about Lady Antebellum. Some people refer to them as Lady A now!!! Some people also want to ban Hank Jr for songs like "If the South Woulda Won". If someone don't want to listen to Confederate Railroad then don't buy their tickets!!!

I'm sure contemporary Christian music like Lauren Daigle or Chris Tomlin will be banned soon too, if its not already banned. But an Islamic show would be totally fine.
If the South had won, my people would have been slaves until the beginning of the 20th century or longer. I'm glad the South lost and got its rear end handed to it, and there should have been punishments for treason handed down. Confederate generals should have been treated as traitors and war criminals, and punished as such.

I don't want contemporary Christian music to be banned. I only want things that honor Confederates torn down and treated the way we treat things that honor the Nazis. Any street that is named for a Confederate general needs to be renamed. Confederate generals should be looked at the same way the Nazis are viewed. And nothing anyone says will change my mind.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:59 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,653,455 times
Yeah, one of the reasons I've moved from what is considered "liberal" today to moderate is because of stupidity like this. I'm so sick of this PC crap I could puke. And I'm sick of the victim mentality that goes with it. I'm a woman and women definitely have a lot to complain about - not just thousand of years of patriarchal domination - but the stuff that is still happening - espcially in say, India, the Middle East, etc. But I'd rather put my energy toward doing my best and not whining about how my sex has been mistreated for so long. If something happens to me or you personally - sure - stand up for yourself. But being offended by every little thing (and some people really love to be offended - if gives them a feeling of self-righteousness).

Old 09-03-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
Yeah, one of the reasons I've moved from what is considered "liberal" today to moderate is because of stupidity like this. I'm so sick of this PC crap I could puke. And I'm sick of the victim mentality that goes with it. I'm a woman and women definitely have a lot to complain about - not just thousand of years of patriarchal domination - but the stuff that is still happening - espcially in say, India, the Middle East, etc. But I'd rather put my energy toward doing my best and not whining about how my sex has been mistreated for so long. If something happens to me or you personally - sure - stand up for yourself. But being offended by every little thing (and some people really love to be offended - if gives them a feeling of self-righteousness).
I currently live in a conservative Republican area in the South. I'm here because of a job. There are a few things named for a Confederate general. Naming things for Confederates or honoring Confederate generals IS stupidity. If I never see another Confederate flag, if I'm never around any places named for Confederate generals again, I'll be very happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies