Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 04:56 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,958,896 times

Advertisements

All of their panties in a wad over the word "confederate."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 05:09 PM

662 posts, read 313,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
So your contention is that they could be called the "Laughing Lynch Mob" and the fair would have no right to cancel them after complaints?
Yep. They should have chosen someone else to start with if the name was actually offensive. The word confederate alone is not offensive and they were picked to play by employees of a government agency. Then people got upset that their name may not sound nice to some. Protecting free speech isn't about protecting nice speech only.

Btw, I live in a city where a bunch of easily offended people have caused a huge stir to prevent a park from being named Ed and Dolly Lynch Park because the word "lynch" could be hurtful to some people. The couple (Ed and Dolly) were philanthropist who donated tons of money to the city as well as helping fund a boys and girls club that benefits primarily POC. But the overly sensitive crybabies have been trained so hard to focus on being offended that they can't see the difference in a last name and a verb.

Quote:
How about curse words and deviant or other sexual terms? Those are fully covered by the first. So do you claim a band, display or person performing could not be cancelled no matter how vile their name?
Obviously they can cancel them because it just happened. IMO, once you book them, cancelling because complaints about a name being offensive is effectively censorship if it is a government entity doing so.

Old 07-08-2019, 05:25 PM

10,033 posts, read 9,513,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
The Drooling Morons sounds like a band Trump should have hired for his first ...and last Inaugural Ball!
Thy were going to play but the liberal band members were rolled up into a ball crying in the corner.

Old 07-08-2019, 05:45 PM

763 posts, read 379,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
BTW Anyone who has any education at all should know that "confederate" has other meanings. It isn't limited to the Confederacy. Try to explain that to the SJWs.
I was thinking this too.

Some people will find anything to be offended about.

Old 07-08-2019, 06:22 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,265,780 times
There was once a Confederate Air Force. Around 2001, its name got changed to Commemorative Air Force.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commemorative_Air_Force

Old 07-08-2019, 06:30 PM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
SJW liberals are a bunch of thumb sucking babies that get offended over every little thing. They must be miserable all the time,
They LOOK for things in which to be offended because it gives them a sense of CONTOL over others. They are so weak they have to do this to quell their overwhelming insecurity. That is the at the center of liberal/progressives.

Last edited by Pilot1; 07-08-2019 at 06:52 PM..

Old 07-08-2019, 06:37 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
C'mon - one can disagree without saying that a SOUTHERN ROCK BAND is using the word "confederate" in some manner other than the common historical usage.

But, as LS said "Southern Man don't need him around anyhow".....

Anyway, all is good. I promise that the band is going to get paid (that's the way such contracts work)....and then they will have renewed popularity.

So the free market speaks once again. Everyone wins. Also, since no one ever heard of this band before, the audience isn't missing anything. Maybe a Led Zep band with "Squeeze My Lemon" will sub for them!

Crazy world.....

BTW, I saw Charlie Daniels one time at a live TV show in Vegas....it was GREAT. I love that devil chit.

Old 07-08-2019, 06:48 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
C'mon - one can disagree without saying that a SOUTHERN ROCK BAND is using the word "confederate" in some manner other than the common historical usage.

But, as LS said "Southern Man don't need him around anyhow".....

Anyway, all is good. I promise that the band is going to get paid (that's the way such contracts work)....and then they will have renewed popularity.

So the free market speaks once again. Everyone wins. Also, since no one ever heard of this band before, the audience isn't missing anything. Maybe a Led Zep band with "Squeeze My Lemon" will sub for them!

Crazy world.....

BTW, I saw Charlie Daniels one time at a live TV show in Vegas....it was GREAT. I love that devil chit.
You mean you have never heard of them. With around a dozen top 40 and 4 top ten hits, people who listen to country that isn't inspired by Justin Bieber know who they are.

As for the name, they chose it because they wanted a name that conveyed their southern roots.

People like you, who support stupidity like this, are the reason we can't have nice things.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:51 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,607,603 times
Quote:
Also, since no one ever heard of this band before, the audience isn't missing anything.
A ridiculously arrogant and ignorant comment.

Old 07-09-2019, 06:29 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,397,187 times
Quote:
Also, since no one ever heard of this band before, the audience isn't missing anything.
They were actually an incredibly popular band in their heyday. They were scheduled to perform as part of a three group lineup, with Shenandoah and Restless Heart. I'd wager anyone who knows the last two also knows them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies