Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2019, 09:03 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,647,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
When you become a proprietor then you can be a tyrant and throw people out for petty insults.
As manager your first concern is making money for the proprieter and that usually means avoiding situations that bring bad PR to the business just because you want to be a good SJW.
In the end this business will lose traffic from people tired of being assaulted by foreign languages.
Hahahahahahahaha, now that is a first for me. Never have I been called an SJW You obviously aren't very familiar with me on this site, which is totally fine by me. However, regardless of your thoughts on first priorities, money is not everything. If you always put the customer first, and disregard the feelings and well being of your employees, you will end up losing your help. Which is also quite detrimental to your business, perhaps even more so than asking a rude and belligerent customer to leave your establishment rather than allowing them to continue to demean and insult you/your employees. Sorry, but where I come from, you are only as good as the people who work with you. And in my experience, after 15 collective years of restaurant management, business has never fallen off because I or one of my subordinates asked a rude, hateful, racist, etc. customer to hit the road. In fact, after every incident that I have been a part of or witnessed, the other patrons almost always expressed their support for the action taken. SJW, not quite. But I do know one thing for sure. The customer is absolutely not always right. And sometimes, they need to take their business elsewhere. Perhaps down the road to the slop house, where the food isn't as good as mine, but the management doesn't care what you do or how you act, as long as you lay a little green on the counter.

PS. The owner of the restaurant I currently run knows and fully agrees with my policies on the treatment of our employees. I guess that means he's a truly special man, not solely focused on the bottom line. Funny thing, he's been in business for 25+ years, owns a nice home, just bought a condo in Florida, has a nice boat in a marina in New Bern, and pretty much does as he pleases. I don't know how he manages that, what with me asking a few horrible customers to hit the road. It's quite the mystery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 09:05 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Hmmm... There are people posting here who don't quite understand the 1st amendment. Wow... Just wow...

They also don't understand the difference between public property and public accessible property.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:12 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,114,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Let's all admit it, there is no freedom of speech.
How many times have we seen in print, and other media this sentence,"he said the N word"
"They used the N word".
"They were admonished for using the N word."
Right here on this forum we are not allowed to use that word, and the same applies to all other online forums.
That is against the constitution that states we have freedom of speech.
The constitution doers not say if you have a private business, you can regulate freedom of speech.
Read the 1st amendment and see what is says about freedom of speech.

Many ethnic groups were given other words to define their nationality, and many of us are aware of them.
Now, none of that is permissible.
That is a direct movement against freedom of speech.
Any of us should be allowed to say anything we want, if we truly have freedom of speech.
This moratorium on denying the use of the N word, is against what is written into the first amendment.

How, and why is it ok to call gay people *******, queers, homo's etc., yet call a black a N..., and all hell breaks out.
Seems a bit hypocritical to me.
Either we have freedom of speech, or we don't.

Going back to that incident I posted earlier, about that woman that didn't speak spanish,she had every right to speak her native tongue, but should not have expected me to have to learn her language.
I was insulted at the thought she expected me to learn her language.

Bob.
Oh, what does the 1st Amendment say?

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

Notice a key word in there....Congress. It's all about how government can't punish you for what you say. Not about what private citizens and businesses have to allow in the name of free speech.

Would you tolerate it if someone put up a big sign in your front yard against whoever your favorite candidate is? Why not? After all, that would be stifling their freedom of speech according to what you are saying it is.

Why should private businesses like social media companies have to allow everything when they are footing the bill, and advertisers may stop giving them money?

Old 07-13-2019, 09:20 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Almost sound like insurgents trying to twist everything to apply their ideology. The very constitution they scream about not restricting the 2nd amend ., yet they want to control the 1st as how they see it. That is a dangerous path the US is on.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:23 PM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I think anybody wearing a MAGA hat any place other than a Trump political rally is being rude.
Does that mean you'll key their car?

Old 07-13-2019, 09:33 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Hahahahahahahaha, now that is a first for me. Never have I been called an SJW You obviously aren't very familiar with me on this site, which is totally fine by me. However, regardless of your thoughts on first priorities, money is not everything. If you always put the customer first, and disregard the feelings and well being of your employees, you will end up losing your help. Which is also quite detrimental to your business, perhaps even more so than asking a rude and belligerent customer to leave your establishment rather than allowing them to continue to demean and insult you/your employees. Sorry, but where I come from, you are only as good as the people who work with you. And in my experience, after 15 collective years of restaurant management, business has never fallen off because I or one of my subordinates asked a rude, hateful, racist, etc. customer to hit the road. In fact, after every incident that I have been a part of or witnessed, the other patrons almost always expressed their support for the action taken. SJW, not quite. But I do know one thing for sure. The customer is absolutely not always right. And sometimes, they need to take their business elsewhere. Perhaps down the road to the slop house, where the food isn't as good as mine, but the management doesn't care what you do or how you act, as long as you lay a little green on the counter.

PS. The owner of the restaurant I currently run knows and fully agrees with my policies on the treatment of our employees. I guess that means he's a truly special man, not solely focused on the bottom line. Funny thing, he's been in business for 25+ years, owns a nice home, just bought a condo in Florida, has a nice boat in a marina in New Bern, and pretty much does as he pleases. I don't know how he manages that, what with me asking a few horrible customers to hit the road. It's quite the mystery
My point was more that an employee manager is not a proprietor and thus lacks the ability to eject customers at his own whim.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:37 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
My point was more that an employee manager is not a proprietor and thus lacks the ability to eject customers at his own whim.
Not true.

Manager represents the business and proprietor. The proprietor usually instructs the manager what or what he cannot or can do. Customers are free to file a complaint.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Almost sound like insurgents trying to twist everything to apply their ideology. The very constitution they scream about not restricting the 2nd amend ., yet they want to control the 1st as how they see it. That is a dangerous path the US is on.
The dangerous path the country is on ia littered with 22 million illegal immigrants whose idea of becoming an american includes never bothering to learn english and making our cities look like Tijuana.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:48 PM

You people act as if this is a fringe position.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nown-rule.html

Sharing one common language brings cohesiveness and unites us all. If I cannot converse with my neighbor we are strangers.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Not true.

Manager represents the business and proprietor. The proprietor usually instructs the manager what or what he cannot or can do. Customers are free to file a complaint.
But he didnt say that originally. He said the proprietor can have anyone removed for any reason he wants. I merely pointed out that a manager doesnt have the same latitude especially in matters where its limited to bruising the managers ego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies