Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2019, 02:04 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times

Advertisements

Whether it's next year or in another 5, we are going to lose Trump's uniquely strong and uniquely sane leadership. We've never seen it before in our lifetimes and we likely won't see it again for many generations to come.

I think the sad truth is that there are too few Americans today with the will to fight for their freedom against the totalitarian left in the absence of a powerful leader like Trump. Therefore, I think the left will prevail in fairly short order without having any idea that theirs has been a suicide mission from the start.

America will die of self-inflicted wounds and then, of course, America will be conquered. At that point, the left's education on what fascism really means will begin in earnest.

In the end, America's new certifiably insane left has no way to win - none. If we let them, they'll take us all down with them before they learn that lesson in the cruelest possible way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 03:52 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,847,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
But in the evangelical world, the church is the state, so there's still only room for one boss-man.

It's amazing how clearly the founders spelled out separation of church and state in the Constitution yet it's still something we haven't come to terms with in this country. However, it was much better before Jerry Falwell came along and created the monster that is today's Christian Right.
You're putting Falwell in a realm he isn't worthy of. Don't keep your eyes on him. He created nothing to do with Christians or Christianity. That's just the lie told to make everyone calling themselves a Christian appear to be of one mindset.

Followers of the Bible don't depend on the Jerry Falwells or the bawacs of the world to determine their Chrisitian beliefs, nor do they allow the Jerry Falwells or the bawacs of the world to define them.

Freedom OF "religion" is not Freedom FROM "religion" though God knows some have tried to make it so.

Christianity will always remain. No power can defeat it. Don't try and tell Christians that being "tolerant" means sit down shut up and allow anti Christians to bully us into not speaking our beliefs and moral values publicly.
We are not a heathen nation.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:52 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,029,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Praytell us which previous Presidency you wish would be built on?
Trump isn't leaving us much to work with but a good President would play the hand he is dealt, not fold for the next hand like Trump is doing.

We'll have to see what is left and go from there.

Old 07-21-2019, 04:34 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
We are not a heathen nation.
Sure we are. Most of the country does not subscribe to evangelical Christianity. While a large portion of the country identifies as Christian, only a small fraction of that portion is evangelical/ biblical literalist/ fundamentalist.

Old 07-21-2019, 04:35 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
America has always been divided, from day one. I don't think there is much that can be done about it. Resources and mentality. It's all about "get mine and forget everyone else".

Old 07-21-2019, 04:45 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
America has always been divided, from day one. I don't think there is much that can be done about it. Resources and mentality. It's all about "get mine and forget everyone else".
Just the other day I was reading about the Brooks Sumner Affair in 1856, and I was thinking I could totally see something like that happening again today, from either side.

Old 07-21-2019, 04:49 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,821,720 times
Our times today of political division and the 60's remind me of a time of racial unrest. We were "quiet" about racism. We were equally quiet about racial equality, but both the good and bad, lived near each other. An unholy truce of sorts. Dr. king brought the conversation to a head. Made the nation see things, hear things we all found uncomfortable and divisive. Beyond the violence, protests, and social unrest sooner or later anything that lies beneath the surface will erupt.

We are better today, but in much the same way... what lies beneath needs to be addressed. Call president Trump what you will, but he has made the conversation relevant. "In order to form a more perfect union", isn't always pretty.

... just sayin'

Old 07-21-2019, 04:58 PM

19,814 posts, read 9,371,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Just the other day I was reading about the Brooks Sumner Affair in 1856, and I was thinking I could totally see something like that happening again today, from either side.
Maybe -- but I doubt if it would involve a cane. (Not sure what it would involve, though.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caning_of_Charles_Sumner

(VERY interesting reading, btw -- and, yes, I think quite relevant to the discord today.)

Old 07-21-2019, 07:10 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,847,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
You don't mean "speaking your beliefs and moral values publicly." What you really mean is forcing everyone else to obey your moral values with strict, harsh punishment and zero tolerance for those who don't. You already get police protection for crying out loud when you protest with signs and yell and scream at people at gay pride parades. You already get tax exempt status. What more do you want? That was a rhetorical question by the way because I already know.
I would never scream at people at "gay pride" parades. I wouldn't attend one in the first place. I also wouldn't yell out at preachers on street corners displaying their beliefs through preaching.
You have proven me right here by telling me that "You don't mean "speaking your beliefs and moral values publicly." What you really mean is forcing everyone else to obey your moral values with strict, harsh punishment and zero tolerance for those who don't."
You seem to want Christians silenced.

You don't know what I mean apparently. As for punishment, are you calling punishment the stance of pro life-anti abortion?
See, I asked you a question instead of telling you what you believe.

Old 07-21-2019, 07:26 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,012,645 times
The Civil War is somewhat an anomaly. It was triggered by secession, even though pro-slavery Dems held majorities in the US house and even (IIRC) the US Senate). Abolition required a constitutional amendment, which could have been blocked by slave states well into the 20th century. Even now it takes only 13 states to block an amendment.

I expect we will muddle along in a stand-off with our current polarization. For one thing, I think both parties really like the polarization because it is great for producing distractions. Just look at the CD thread list. Half of the threads are of the 'call them racist' or 'no, you're the racist' variety. I don't see one thread on the coming debt limit hike.
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...in-summer-2019
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies