Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2019, 05:47 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
Just to add some more facts you conveniently omitted:
1) switched political parties in Oxford because the one he originally joined to was less influential than other. Yeah, you never know who is stronger until you try, correct?
2) After graduating in 1987, Johnson became a trainee reporter with the Times newspaper but was sacked within a year for falsifying a quotation from his godfather Colin Lucas. Well, outright lying is a good trait for politician, no question about that.
3) BoJo did a number on London: He helped make it a haven of the super-rich, then ran a campaign saying "Don't listen to the super-rich in London." No surprises here, switching sides is not betrayal, it's foreseeing
4) Cocaine user: "Asked directly while being interviewed on Radio 4 when he last used the Class A drug, he replied by saying a "single inconclusive event" when he was a teenager". In another interview he said "I think the account of this event when I was 19 has appeared many, many times." Well, let's pretend that 19 is still a "teenager". And, frankly, cocaine use is not even an issue these days for politicians, right?
5) Lied about his affair with Petronella Wyatt and her pregnancy. Was fired from shadow cabinet for the lie. As I said, non-stop lies is a good property of a politician, and so native to any Brit PM.

As I said earlier, I just applaud BoJo - with him UK will go downhill faster. Keep the course, BoJo!
What's any of this got to do with his intellect, and lots of people do thinfs they regret when they are younger or change their political views as they get older.

As for Johnson making London a haven for the super rich that would take some doing, as the Mayor of London has very limited powers, and they are mainly in relation to transport policy and policiing. Johnson was not dictating tax policy or any other national policy as Mayor of London and your accusation is pure nonsense.

The Mayor of London has very few powers when compared to other cities including NYC.

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-29-2019 at 06:13 AM..

Old 07-29-2019, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Johnson admitted "he doesn’t have the faintest clue what’s in the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade—the very text he’s been using to justify his outlandish Brexit stance."

https://www.thedailybeast.com/john-o...=home?ref=home

Recently, he was carrying on about EU's kipper shipping rules. Turns out it's UK not the EU that's behind this nefarious situation.

Should be fascinating watching Johnson BS his way through Brexit.
Is that according to John Oliver and the Daily Beast, it must be true then.

John Oliver doesn't know a thing about what Johnson does or does not know, and like evcery PM, Johnson has economic advidsors and legal advisors.

Although he could just ask his father who is an economist and studied at Oxford, Columbia (NYC) and the London School of Economics and was at the World Bank and European Commission.

I don't see anyne having a go at the opposition leader, whose basically a drop out with few academic qualifications and whose policy on Brexit is all over the place, whilst his shadow cabinet are equally underwhelming, and in the case of Diane Abbot can't count and in terms of John McDonnell, the shadow Chancellor he was fired from the Greater London Council (GLC) under red Ken Livingstone for financial incompetence, which takes some doing.

The entire Labour Party is now shrouded in a massive anti semitism scandal that Corbyn has refused to deal with properly. Whilst Tom Watson, another Labour shadow minister should have been sacked last week, over the accusations regading paedophilla,and naming individuals given to him by a man called Nick. In fact Nick was a man named Carl Beech who was a paedophile himself, the accusations were all totally false and blighted many peoples lives, indeed Mr Beech was sentenced to 18 years in prison last week.

The enture US/UK relationship would be put at risk if Corbyn, a Marxist Communist ever became PM, so just be careful what you wish for.

In terms of Brexit, the current stage is that of leaving and divorce and not making trade deals which happe after we leave, as does the final stage in relation to our future relationship with the EU including collaboration in areas such as Defence, Security and Research.

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-29-2019 at 06:21 AM..

Old 07-29-2019, 05:54 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Just like I said he would......

Boris Johnson Throws Down The Gauntlet: No Backstop, Not Even Temporary

Johnson understands, there is no dealing with Brussels. The EU doesn't want BRexit to happen, and the backstop's single purpose, put there by Macron, was to make it impossible for May to move forward. Now he's tossed the entire mess and is ready to move forward whether they like it or not.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:05 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
What's any of this got to do with his intellect, and lots of people do thinfs they regret when they are younger or change their political views as they get older.
Very little.

Does cast some light on how he thinks/acts, though.

I'm not sure why you think that an IQ score is what's pivotal to becoming PM. That's certainly never been true before, but oh well.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Very little.

Does cast some light on how he thinks/acts, though.

I'm not sure why you think that an IQ score is what's pivotal to becoming PM. That's certainly never been true before, but oh well.
I am not the one casting aspertions on his intellect or life.

I am merely pointing out that he is more than capable in terms of his intellect, and I think you will find that Prime Ministers are generally well educated.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:16 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

Why didn't you direct this to the person he was responding to who brought it up in the first place?

Old 07-29-2019, 06:21 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:

As for Johnson making London a haven for the super rich that would take some doing, as the Mayor of London has very limited powers, and they are mainly in relation to transport policy and policiing. Johnson was not dictating tax policy or any other national policy as Mayor of London and your accusation is pure nonsense.

The Mayor of London has very few powers when compared to other cities including NYC.
Entire nations - their people - change their minds as time passes. This is the case with BREXIT as well.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
I am not the one casting aspertions on his intellect or life.

I am merely pointing out that he is more than capable in terms of his intellect, and I think you will find that Prime Ministers are generally well educated.
No, you weren't casting aspersions on him intellectually. You were saying that because he is an intellectual, he is qualified to be PM.

I'm saying that there is considerably more to being a good leader than an intellectual background. Would you disagree?

Old 07-29-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Why didn't you direct this to the person he was responding to who brought it up in the first place?
Didn't multi-quote. Sorry.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:50 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,464,101 times
Boris Johnson Elected Tory Leader - Promises to Deliver BREXIT!

They are now expecting to go out without a deal in place. This could become an ugly scenario for the Brits, at least temporarily.

God help them ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies