Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 07:02 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,654,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post

The idea that EU will not enforce its own borders because they are scared of the IRA is absurd. The worst case i can imagine happen is a few IRA terrorist attacks that will be universally condemned.
The IRA? That's bogyman nonsense. If the EU needs to enforce its borders from a real threat, it will be the US military that does it.

Anything else, is sending one country's army into another. You can bet that German or French soldiers WILL NOT be deployed to the border with the UK to fight UK soldiers over boxes of potatoes crossing the border. The notion is beyond silly.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:24 AM

7,682 posts, read 5,535,357 times
“We'll block trade deal if Brexit imperils open Irish border, say US politicians - Johnson-Trump plan could fall foul of Congress if Good Friday agreement is threatened”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...liticians-warn

Quote:
“We oversee all trade agreements as part of our tax jurisdiction,” Neal, a Democratic congressman from Massachusetts, said in a phone interview. He pointed out that such a complex trade deal could take four or five years, even without the Northern Ireland issue.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:36 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,077,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Two problems with that. Nobody wants Jeremy Corbyn as PM.

Second, I don't believe there is a procedure where just a "few MPs" could break from their party to take down the government. Maybe you could explain that one further.
Just because they take down the government, does not mean Jeremy Corbyn becomes PM. First they will take down the government, then they will form a government with the sole purpose to ask for extension, and when they get it then they will have new elections. Who wins the next election is not decided, so Jeremy Corbyn is not guaranteed to become PM. Also, there is a lot of MPs who prefer him over Johnson and no deal exit.

And what do you mean there is no procedure where a few conservative mps break ranks. MPs are not forced to vote with their party.

Quote:
What "EU" army are you talking about?
I am talking about EUs military cooperation.
https://eeas.europa.eu/topics/common...policy-csdp_en

Quote:
The IRA? That's bogyman nonsense. If the EU needs to enforce its borders from a real threat, it will be the US military that does it.

Anything else, is sending one country's army into another. You can bet that German or French soldiers WILL NOT be deployed to the border with the UK to fight UK soldiers over boxes of potatoes crossing the border. The notion is beyond silly.
Yes, US might help too. And I don't get why you mention UK soldiers, IRA has nothing to do with the UK army. I also believe UK will fight against the IRA if they start killing civilans at the border.

Of course a huge IRA uprising is bogeyman nonsense, that is what I have said all along. But, if it were to happen, and it becomes similar to Ukraine, then EU and probably the US will help militarily. In other words in the map posted on the last page, Ireland will turn yellow.

Remember, I am answering an user who thinks EU will not implement border controls because they are scared of an IRA uprising.

Last edited by Camlon; 07-31-2019 at 08:26 AM..

Old 07-31-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Just because they take down the government, does not mean Jeremy Corbyn becomes PM. First they will take down the government, then they will form a government with the sole purpose to ask for extension, and when they get it then they will have new elections. Who wins the next election is not decided, so Jeremy Corbyn is not guaranteed to become PM. Also, there is a lot of MPs who prefer him over Johnson and no deal exit.

And what do you mean there is no procedure where a few conservative mps break ranks. MPs are not forced to vote with their party. I am talking about EUs military cooperation.
https://eeas.europa.eu/topics/common...policy-csdp_en

Yes, US might help too. And I don't get why you mention UK soldiers, IRA has nothing to do with the UK army. I also believe UK will fight against the IRA if they start killing civilans at the border.

Of course a huge IRA uprising is bogeyman nonsense, that is what I have said all along. But, if it were to happen, and it becomes similar to Ukraine, then EU and probably the US will help militarily. In other words in the map posted on the last page, Ireland will turn yellow.

Remember, I am answering an user who thinks EU will not implement border controls because they are scared of an IRA uprising.
Responses.
  • My point on Nuclear Option. = You can't explain the Erskine May process where few renegade Tories could join with Labor to take down the government. Case Closed
  • My point on EU Army = It's made up nonsense. Mention of the IRA bogyman gave that away. The link you posted absolutely does not indicate that any such thing exists.
Top Tip = BRexit is going to happen. There will be no IRA involvement. There will be NO mythical EU Armies standing at the Irish Border. And I can absolutely guarantee you no American soldiers will be involved.

It's these sorts of ridiculous arguments as to why Johnson is now in the position that he is.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Responses.
  • My point on Nuclear Option. = You can't explain the Erskine May process where few renegade Tories could join with Labor to take down the government. Case Closed
  • My point on EU Army = It's made up nonsense. Mention of the IRA bogyman gave that away. The link you posted absolutely does not indicate that any such thing exists.
I never used the word EU army, and I still have no idea what you want me to explain.

But you can have your fake victory, you don't seem interested in debating properly anymore.

Quote:
There will be no IRA involvement. There will be NO mythical EU Armies standing at the Irish Border. And I can absolutely guarantee you no American soldiers will be involved.
If there is no IRA uprising, which I have said won't happen, then of course there will be no EU armies or american soldiers. Thats obvious.

You disagreement is with English Dave, he is the one who believes there will be an IRA uprising.

Last edited by Camlon; 07-31-2019 at 10:37 AM..

Old 07-31-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
1.We were talking about vote of no confidence, not the nuclear option.
Oh don't be obtuse.
Quote:
You disagreement is with English Dave....
Nope. I'm disagreeing with you.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I'm disagreeing with you.
I said there will not be a massive IRA uprising. Hence, there will be no french/german/italian troops standing at the Irish Border and there will also be no American soldiers involved. I think that is quite similar to what you said.

Even the inverse you have agreed with me. You said "If the EU needs to enforce its borders from a real threat, it will be the US military that does it." We both agree the IRA is not a real threat, but if English Dave is right and it is a real threat requiring 50000 soldiers to contain, then it follows by your own argument that US military will get involved.

You have called an IRA uprising a bogeyman, not a real threat, and there will be no IRA involvement. I agree with that. Why are you pretending that I disagree?

Last edited by Camlon; 07-31-2019 at 11:17 AM..

Old 07-31-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I said there will not be a massive IRA uprising. Hence, there will be no french/german/italian troops standing at the Irish Border and there will also be no American soldiers involved. I think that is quite similar to what you said.

Even the inverse you have agreed with me. You said "If the EU needs to enforce its borders from a real threat, it will be the US military that does it." We both agree the IRA is not a real threat, but if English Dave is right and it is a real threat requiring 50000 soldiers to contain, then it follows by your own argument that US military will get involved.

You have called an IRA uprising a bogeyman, not a real threat, and there will be no IRA involvement. I agree with that. Why are you pretending that I disagree?
Because you are still talking about it in regards to BRexit. It's nonsense.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Because you are still talking about it in regards to BRexit. It's nonsense.
I am not the one who brought it up. What I said is that the Irish PM and top EU politicans have said there be a hard border on the irish side in case of a no deal brexit.

English Dave said, there will not be a hard border because they are scared of the IRA backlash.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:23 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,434,361 times
Quote:
I am not the one who brought it up. What I said is that the Irish PM and top EU politicans have said there be a hard border on the irish side in case of a no deal brexit.

English Dave said, there will not be a hard border because they are scared of the IRA backlash.

In your post 202, you stated, "Ireland's deputy prime minister, Simon Coveney, was caught on tape last week indicating his fellow ministers should not talk about the resumption of border checks publicly for fear of a backlash.

Who do you think he fears that backlash from?

In your post 209, you stated, I never said UK is forced to have a hard border, and most likely they won't. It is the EU who will set up Border controls.

Who from the EU is going to set up Border controls? The Irish and UK have stated not them. Is it going to be your non existent EU army?

In your post 218, you stated, just because they don't call it EU army, does not mean that EU countries are islands that don't do anything together militarily. If your absurd visions happen and IRA rise up (they won't) then yes, EU will help Ireland militarily because it is considered a military conflict on the EU border.

I will tell you once again. There will not be one single soldier from any country in the EU on Irish soil. Not one.

In your post 223, you stated, in response to another poster saying, you can bet that German or French soldiers will not be deployed to the border with the UK to fight UK soldiers over boxes of potatoes crossing the border. "...... I don't get why you mention UK soldiers, IRA have nothing to do with the UK army. I also believe UK will fight against the IRA if they start killing civilians at the border."

Do you see how this sounds? Over import and export issues, you say the EU will enforce the border. If necessary they will send in an EU army. Also, if the IRA kill any civilians, the UK army no doubt will fight the IRA at the border. Do you have any clue what you're talking about? Fight them how? The UK army is not allowed to put one foot on Irish territory. That's why we had so many problems with them during the so called troubles. They ran back across the border, and we couldn't pursue them.

The Irish situation isn't just about a border when the UK leaves the EU. This is about a conflict that has ebbed and flowed for 100 years. Sinn Fein, the political arm of the IRA have massive support within Ireland. They want a united Ireland. Anyone who puts up controls at that border will be attacked, and yes, maybe killed.

Don't tell me what the Irish government say officially about enforcing that border. Listen to what they say quietly among themselves. As in what Simon Coveney said when recorded, indicating his fellow ministers should not talk about the resumption of border checks for fear of a backlash.

Once again I ask you...... a fear of a backlash from who?

I withdraw from this conversation again. I only responded because you brought up my sacred name in your post........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies