Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2019, 06:53 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,279,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
There is no solution to mass shootings/gun violence? There isn't a perfect solution, but a very effective way. Execute every murderer. Dont tell me the death penalty isnt a deterent. It could be, but its almost never used, percentage wise. This used to be the practice in our country, and the murder rate was much lower.
Certainly wouldn't be an effective deterrent for the "non gang related" mass shooters, most of them expect/want to die in the process anyway. That and the compromised mental states that most of these fellows that actually do survive doesn't lead one to believe that rational decision making is high on their priority list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 07:03 PM

73,145 posts, read 62,828,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
There is no solution to mass shootings/gun violence? There isn't a perfect solution, but a very effective way. Execute every murderer. Dont tell me the death penalty isnt a deterent. It could be, but its almost never used, percentage wise. This used to be the practice in our country, and the murder rate was much lower.
To be blunt, it isn't that much of a deterrent. Many people who commit mass shootings often don't value their own lives. They deserve the death penalty, but it isn't as big a deterrent as you might think. Alot of the states with the lowest murder rates don't have the death penalty. Alabama just executed 3 people this year. It doesn't seem to deter the violence in Birmingham, which had a murder rate of 52 murders per 100,000 last year.

The death penalty was alot more common back in the old days. The highest murder rates in the USA were frequently southern states. The murder rate today is actually similar to what it was back in the 1950s/early 1960s. It's just not even distributed. As it was back in the 1950s, the worst murder rates were concentrated in the South. A large number of executions took place in the South.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:12 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,421,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
People are always more angered when someone outside their tribe kills one of 'them' than 10X more people killed within the tribe. Why is the OKC bombing rarely on the radar compared with far fewer people killed by the Boston Marathon bombing? Because McVeigh was 'one of us' while the Boston bombers were Muslim immigrants.
I remember when the OKC bombings took place. It was 24-7 media coverage only on that for what seemed like months, as was the trial. And it happened a long tome ago. So I wouldn't totally agree that it is "rarely on the radar". Take the San Bernardino or Pulse nightclub shootings, which were perpetrated by children of Muslim immigrants or Ft Hood or Burlington WA or NYC truck. I don't think those got any more or less media attention then the Vegas shooting, Sandy Hook, or any of these other shootings.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:17 PM

15,722 posts, read 9,562,754 times
If I didn't know better, I'd say there probably needs to be more than one type of mass shooting. There's the type of mass shooting that happens at music festivals or churches or schools where people go to and expect some amount of safety gathered together by like minded people. Then there are mass shootings that take places where people live and are usually carried out by family members. I guess a third type would be gang related and may or may not have anything to do with the second category I listed. I suspect more rational folks agree that any type of mass killing is awful and we should not try to make racist points on the death of innocent people.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:43 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,775,860 times
The typical Bed Stuy, ENY, Brownsville (NYC) mass shooting down by blacks against blacks gets very little attention from the media.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:52 PM

19,744 posts, read 10,178,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I think one of the top reasons many people bring up Black people committing crime is to complain about Black people. In my opinion, Black on Black killing isn't brought up because many people just don't care. The only time it does get brought up is to criticize Black people. And if it's being brought up mainly for that reason, then alot of people won't want to talk about it. Why would I want to discuss certain issues with someone who has an air of resentment.

As for why these Black on Black shootings don't get much attention? They happen in dangerous neighborhoods, to people that aren't really cared about very much. Mass shootings that take place in suburban/small town schools, churches, grocery stores, movie theatres, universities, malls, those kinds of shootings get a lion's share of attention. Why? Because they happen in places that many people consider to be safe. It is shocking that shootings take places in areas that would be considered safe. Many people care because those shootings hit close to home for them. A shooting that takes place in a poor, predominantly Black inner city neighborhood, it doesn't really shock alot of people. Many people look at as "we don't live there, it's nothing we could relate to, not our problem".

In short, it isn't looked at as a mass shooting because it isn't happening in nice, safe areas. If it happens in the ghetto, it's looked at as "it's a black ghetto, what do you expect?".
Many people don't care about them, because they don't seem to care about themselves.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:53 PM

858 posts, read 426,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
since you can’t refute the OP, whining is all you have left..

Why don't you define the term "mass shooting"?

Old 07-31-2019, 07:55 PM

73,145 posts, read 62,828,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Many people don't care about them, because they don't seem to care about themselves.
If that's the case, why bother talking about it? What's the point of talking about it if this really isn't care about much?

Old 07-31-2019, 07:57 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,266,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
That’s racist according to Liberals.
I never cared how liberals think. Their outrage is meaningless to me.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:57 PM

2,261 posts, read 1,144,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I have to disagree with you, Harry. Many white people do care, but what can we do about it? Nothing. It's a daily occurrence in Chicago. I feel sorry for the law-abiding residents who are trapped and can't get out of their neighborhood.

I admit people (and I'm one of them) have had it up to here with the gangs doing this - so if they off one another, I have no problem with it. I used to cringe when people would make statements like that, but the reality is, nothing is being done about the criminals in Chicago victimizing innocent people, and if they're killed because of what they do - that's the consequence of crime. I no longer have hope for that group of people as I once did.
Hey M, the solution is easy, but no one , black or white, wants to deal with the backlash of saying black women in the ghettos are having babies for reasons they wont admit out loud, further perpetuating the ghetto. Trying to stop that trend is the real issue to take to task.

My point was that the only reason the alt-right on this board brings up black on black killings is for arguing points against the blue side, not because they actually care about why its happening, or who its happening to.

I didnt realize I was too general saying white people. I know full well that there are white people that are concerned, they know the solutions are pretty easy, but people are afraid to touch it, which is understandable. I also know alot more white people will jump in if we can get the solution going. Not any of the alt-right nut jobs on this board, but you know what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies