Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2019, 10:00 AM

34,244 posts, read 18,603,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You have to go back to 1941? Imagine if the Las Vegas shooter threw knives from his hotel window instead of using high powered firearms.
What if he used a bomb like Timothy McVeigh, or airplanes like the 9/11 terrorists, or gasoline like the night club bomber. What if he just bought firearms illegally, or stole them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 10:01 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,592,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
You are comparing apples and oranges when you try to statistically apply death reductions from other countries to the US. None of those countries have the population or the number of firearms or the right to own them. When the reductions don't happen, what then? Or are you seeking full confiscation from the start?
I don't know of any empirical evidence that would suggest the US is less capable of implementing laws than other first world countries. You're purely speculating.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:02 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,813,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
I don't know of any empirical evidence that would suggest the US is less capable of implementing laws than other first world countries. You're purely speculating.
You didn't answer the questions. I am fully aware of the capability of criminals to avoid or disregard laws.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
You didn't answer the questions.
Your question presupposes a hypothetical result that is not at all supported by what we've seen happen in other first-world countries, nor does it explain with any objective basis why the result in the US would be different. Why would you expect an answer to such a question?

Old 09-04-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Your question presupposes a hypothetical result that is not at all supported by what we've seen happen in other first-world countries, nor does it explain with any objective basis why the result in the US would be different. Why would you expect an answer to such a question?
And you are comparing the US to other first world countries who do not possess the unique aspects I laid out. I also edited my original post to add this - I am fully aware of the capability of criminals to avoid or disregard laws.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:10 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,829,273 times
Our constitution presents a barrier to implementing any such laws... "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed", that isn't empirical at all. It's a well thought out barrier to prevent implementation of limiting the right to bear arms.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
And you are comparing the US to other first world countries who do not possess the unique aspects I laid out. I also edited my original post to add this - I am fully aware of the capability of criminals to avoid or disregard laws.
If you are going to claim that the legislative path virtually every single other first world country has successfully taken to limit gun violence cannot be taken here, you are going to provide a better basis for that claim than just saying "we have more people" or "we have more guns." I have never seen any empirical data that would suggest the US is less capable of implementing and enforcing laws than other countries simply because of its population or the ubiquity of the contraband in question. If you have such data, I'll look at it, but otherwise you are offering nothing more than subjective speculation.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Our constitution presents a barrier to implementing any such laws... "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed", that isn't empirical at all. It's a well thought out barrier to prevent implementation of limiting the right to bear arms.
I figured it was fairly self-evident that, in the context of this discussion, any legislation being implemented would come concomitantly with a Constitutional amendment allowing for such legislation.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:17 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,131,601 times
The very headline is wrong in the article and this thread. Walmart said to not "...openly carry guns into its 4,700 US stores, or its Sam's Club stores, in states that allow open carry." Has nothing to do with allowing guns in the stores. Conceal carry is still permitted.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
I figured it was fairly self-evident that, in the context of this discussion, any legislation being implemented would come concomitantly with a Constitutional amendment allowing for such legislation.
Which is where your argument becomes equally subjective speculation as it requires an amendment you are fully aware will not happen. But get to it if you wish as there is a process fully laid out in the Constitution. Otherwise we are talking speculation all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies