Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2019, 06:32 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,718,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Both? I just want to know what this power is?
The NRA’s modicum of power comes from the fact that they are the most well known gun rights group. On the grand scale, their membership base isn’t really that large. However, they are one of the few groups that stands up for common sense when it comes to firearms (usually). There was a point, before what amounted to a hostile takeover, when the NRA wasn’t that involved with politics.

The anti gun crowd tends to lump all firearms owners into the NRA, even though most of us would never send them a dime or even claim membership if it were free. It’s easier to focus on the NRA and lump all firearms owners in with them than to realize that gun owners come in all shapes and sizes and have various reasons for owning firearms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 06:34 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,718,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
It is only that they have a huge number of members (5 million +) and an even greater number of followers that support them (43% of US households own a gun or guns). And they all vote. (Or the politicians think they do)
Out of all the firearms owners I know, only about 3 actually support the NRA. The rest of us are fairly ambivalent about them.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:36 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Here is a good link for those that want to learn:

https://www.opensecrets.org/industri...e=2020&ind=q13

Old 09-03-2019, 06:38 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Excellent. Let’s see if this trend continues among businesses. Certainly states and the federal government will do nothing even in some cases easing gun laws despite the ongoing shoot outs in this country.
So you are for stopping ammo sales in this country

`

Old 09-03-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Out of all the firearms owners I know, only about 3 actually support the NRA. The rest of us are fairly ambivalent about them.
Which is a problem in and of itself. You greatly benefit from their political involvement, legal action and they are the single most successful organization in protecting our 2nd Amendment rights.
Yet many benefit without being willing to contribute to the cause.

The term freeloader comes to mind.

`

Old 09-03-2019, 06:42 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,728,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I also just heard this story on the news and I also agree. It's a start.

I do have one question here that anyone with experience about the power of the NRA. Following the story about Walmart, another story followed where the President stated last week he wanted stricter laws on gun control (or something like that) but relented under pressure from the NRA. Here's my question.

What is this "power" that the NRA seems to have over our elected officials in Washington? And why can't these officials get it that we, the people, are the ones they are supposed to be representing, not the NRA?

Anyone? I'm not being sarcastic here. I really want to know why they have so much power over them. Thanks
I don't know....I think the "NRA" is just symbolic of the large number of vehement, red-faced, veins-standing-out-in-the-neck, "from my cold dead hands", crazed gun advocates who perpetuate the deadly problem we have. The NRA's power is the conglomeration of threats made by those we hear boasting daily about the arsenals they have been building since 1968....and the firepower they stand ready to unleash against anyone attempting to cross their moat.

I mean....Sandy Hook didn't phase 'em. Didn't even give them a moment's pause. What more needs to be said about their mindset? Their guns are their world. Nothing else matters. I think many dream of their lives ending in a blaze of glory in a place just like the OK Corral, but with wifi.

I'd say the NRA is symbolic of the bloodbath they would much prefer to stepping from the stone age into real civilization. But we must. And that is why I'll applaud every baby-step in the right direction.

I've always liked this solution to our propensity toward violence....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6iF5sINVns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASsNtti1XZs

Old 09-03-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
I like that it is cheaper than my local gun shop. The local places mark their ammo up a lot. However since I have thousands of rounds of ammo I am not freaking out over it. The last bulk I did was from freedom munitions. They have some of the best prices out there. So now it is online or I will buy on the last day at a gun show when they are trying to unload product without having to take it back.
I don't go to gun shows often, but I never thought of going on the last day to try and get good bargains on ammo.
Are the prices really good enough to compensate for the admission fee into the show?

`

Old 09-03-2019, 06:47 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I don't know....I think the "NRA" is just symbolic of the large number of vehement, red-faced, veins-standing-out-in-the-neck, "from my cold dead hands", crazed gun advocates who perpetuate the deadly problem we have. The NRA's power is the conglomeration of threats made by those we hear boasting daily about the arsenals they have been building since 1968....and the firepower they stand ready to unleash against anyone attempting to cross their moat.

I mean....Sandy Hook didn't phase 'em. Didn't even give them a moment's pause. What more needs to be said about their mindset? Their guns are their world. Nothing else matters. I think many dream of their lives ending in a blaze of glory in a place just like the OK Corral, but with wifi.

I'd say the NRA is symbolic of the bloodbath they would much prefer to stepping from the stone age into real civilization. But we must. And that is why I'll applaud every baby-step in the right direction.

I've always liked this solution to our propensity toward violence....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6iF5sINVns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASsNtti1XZs

As the links provided goes this posters words...fake....but why would we think anything different?

You don't seem to be good at math either.....there is an estimated 5-6 million members of the NRA.....what % is that vs the population of the United States? Pssst.... You cannot use your fingers and toes to do this.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:52 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
What does that have to do with guns ?
Go back and read the post I answered. You might understand...maybe.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:55 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
The NRA’s modicum of power comes from the fact that they are the most well known gun rights group. On the grand scale, their membership base isn’t really that large. However, they are one of the few groups that stands up for common sense when it comes to firearms (usually). There was a point, before what amounted to a hostile takeover, when the NRA wasn’t that involved with politics.

The anti gun crowd tends to lump all firearms owners into the NRA, even though most of us would never send them a dime or even claim membership if it were free. It’s easier to focus on the NRA and lump all firearms owners in with them than to realize that gun owners come in all shapes and sizes and have various reasons for owning firearms.
It’s more than a modicum, they are very visible and have experienced lobbyists carrying their money. They just moved their conference from Alaska to Virginia because of the upcoming gun control debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies