Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 02:29 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Sounds like a case could be made for pre-meditation.

BTW - I'm not saying Walmart's action is a cure all, just that if it stops one lunatic from waking up some morning in a foul mood, running down to Wally's to load up on ammo and go on a killing spree then it's a commendable action on WalMart's part. Baby steps man, baby steps...

(Slightly off-topic, but I enjoyed reading that McConnell just unambiguously threw the whole legislative agenda of gun control in Trump's court by saying he wouldn't do anything unless Trump said he'd sign it. What say you Mr. President??? It's your move now.)
The "if it only saves one or stops one" slogan comes up again.

If 4th, 5th and 6th amendment rights were curtailed because we threw someone in jail without due process and prevented just one murder wouldn't it be worth it?

If we allowed more government surveillance on social media, smart phones and internet that stopped just one murder wouldn't it be worth it?

If we banned certain 1st amendment rights that stopped just one person from influencing someone wrongly wouldn't it be worth it?

If we did a background check on phone and computer purchases for past bullying or drug sales offenses that saved just one life wouldn't it be worth it?

If we jacked up the price of gas to $10 a gallon that prevented just one drunk driver from going on the road one night wouldn't it be worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 02:31 PM

2,985 posts, read 1,752,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
yeah but you pay shipping instead of tax.
Nah, if you buy enough, some online retailers will waive shipping charges. Me and several of my buddies do group buys...no shipping or tax!

Old 09-03-2019, 02:32 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,138,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
It's all ammunition that is being discontinued. The gun that the ammo goes into doesn't matter.

I think it's a smart move, considering the butchery at the WalMart in El Paso.
If the shooter had been able to get at the ammo in the store, he could have continued shooting all day long.

A lot of these mass shooters only stop when their ammunition runs out. That's the time the cops wait for and make their move.

The longer a shooting goes on in a WalMart, the greater the loss. Even when all the people are evacuated, if the shooting continues on, the bullets are damaging a huge amount of stock, hardware, fixtures, and other stuff that will all have to be replaced.
Five minutes of a gunfight could result in the loss of hundreds of thousands in goods for WalMart. 4 hours of gunfight could result in a store's closure for a month or more to replace and repair.

Of course, the people are by far the most important, but WalMart must watch its bottom line, and a mass shooting is terrible for both.

The El Paso WalMart has probably been all repaired by now, a month later, but ask yourself:
Would I happily choose to go to WalMart now to buy my kids some school clothes?

Or would you think another mass shooter may strike again at the same store?
No, it says only handgun ammo to be discontinued.

Old 09-03-2019, 02:33 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
Quote:

If 4th, 5th and 6th amendment rights were curtailed because we threw someone in jail without due process and prevented just one murder wouldn't it be worth it?

If we allowed more government surveillance on social media, smart phones and internet that stopped just one murder wouldn't it be worth it?

If we banned certain 1st amendment rights that stopped just one person from influencing someone wrongly wouldn't it be worth it?

If we did a background check on phone and computer purchases for past bullying or drug sales offenses that saved just one life wouldn't it be worth it?

If we jacked up the price of gas to $10 a gallon that prevented just one drunk driver from going on the road one night wouldn't it be worth it?
If we deported every illegal alien and prevented just one crime like against Molly Tibbets wouldn't it be worth it?

Old 09-03-2019, 02:41 PM

7,826 posts, read 4,571,164 times
Quote:

Lot of pearl clutching there. If you want to make a moral equivalent of not being able to waltz in a Walmart for ammo to all the "what if's" you laid out, you're welcome to it, but you'd still be missing the point.

Old 09-03-2019, 02:48 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
I purchase my ammo elsewhere, so it doesn't affect me.

If they put up a 30.06 sign, I'll shop there less; not that I go there a ton now.

Old 09-03-2019, 02:52 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Lot of pearl clutching there. If you want to make a moral equivalent of not being able to waltz in a Walmart for ammo to all the "what if's" you laid out, you're welcome to it, but you'd still be missing the point.

That was the leftist talking point for many years....."just 1 child"....don't like your own medicine being used against you?

Maybe, just maybe, if we started going after the real problem with guns, something could be done....

11 children shot and killed in 3 months, this year in one city.....care to take a guess, no, it's not chicago either....

Old 09-03-2019, 02:55 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,125,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/03/busin...les/index.html

Well we'll see how soon the freak-out begins.
Maybe a moderator can help you with the truth. But likely it won't happen.

Old 09-03-2019, 02:57 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,034,504 times
No big deal I only buy ammo once a month.Taking a shower once a month to go to the local gun shop is ok with me and refreshing at the same time.

Old 09-03-2019, 02:58 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,125,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
No, it says only handgun ammo to be discontinued.
Apparently you don't understand what that means. .22 and 9mm are rifle calibers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies