Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2019, 06:58 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I'm fascinated that conservatives do not support a business being allowed to decide which products they want to sell.

i don't care if Walmart does or doesn't sell guns. but it sure has triggered some folks on Twitter..........they are upset about it.
They can do whatever they want however the CEO crosses the line when he says

"In addition, McMillon said that he would send letters to the White House and congressional leaders that "call for action" on "common sense" gun safety measures. McMillon said Congress should debate re-authorizing the assault weapons ban and expand background checks."

He doesn't want to alienate customers but is doing so to millions of AR, AK and so owners, not only is the CEO making a decision foe the company he is getting political at banning millions of customers guns. In the mean time they will sell what is left in stock if they were so concerned they would stop immediately and return the ammo to the manufactures.

In the mean time they will still sell a shotgun and ammo that is just as lethal as a rifle, and sell a .357 lever gun but not sell the ammo for it.

YEAH OK then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 06:58 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,812,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It’s more than a modicum, they are very visible and have experienced lobbyists carrying their money. They just moved their conference from Alaska to Virginia because of the upcoming gun control debate.
As are many other lobbying groups such as insurance, medical, AARP, abortion, and the list goes on. That's what they do. You just have a problem with this particular group because they lobby something you are opposed to.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:59 PM

19,222 posts, read 16,714,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
It is only that they have a huge number of members (5 million +) and an even greater number of followers that support them (43% of US households own a gun or guns). And they all vote. (Or the politicians think they do)
Thank you. I've been doing some research since my first post and what it boils down to is $$$$$$$ and how the NRA can buy a politician. I understand now why Trump backed off. The NRA contributed lots o' moola to his campaign so it explains his decision. He's not the only President that received money either so political affiliation means nothing, although republicans seem to be more inclined to receive big donations.

Meanwhile, we wait for the next mass shooting. My guess would be one will happen within the next couple weeks. In the last 60 days, 54 citizens were killed in one of these type of shootings. I'm not even counting the non mass shootings that occur every day in this country, either. I don't even know what those stats are. I guess the only thing we can hope for is that we stay lucky and aren't caught in the wrong place when one of these nutjobs wants to unload his anger on us. I don't know if Walmart's decision will make much of a difference but as stated before, it's a start

Old 09-03-2019, 06:59 PM

11,144 posts, read 10,718,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Which is a problem in and of itself. You greatly benefit from their political involvement, legal action and they are the single most successful organization in protecting our 2nd Amendment rights.
Yet many benefit without being willing to contribute to the cause.

The term freeloader comes to mind.

`
We could easily hijack this thread and debate the merits of the NRA. However, I’m not going to. I’ll simply say that at one point the NRA was a wonderful organization that promoted shooting sports and firearms safety. That changed in the late 70s, and they are now just as much a part of Washington as the Big Pharma lobby. While they do on occasion do something right, they are far too willing to throw gun owners under the bus when they are making deals.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:02 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,613,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I don't know....I think the "NRA" is just symbolic of the large number of vehement, red-faced, veins-standing-out-in-the-neck, "from my cold dead hands", crazed gun advocates who perpetuate the deadly problem we have. The NRA's power is the conglomeration of threats made by those we hear boasting daily about the arsenals they have been building since 1968....and the firepower they stand ready to unleash against anyone attempting to cross their moat.

I mean....Sandy Hook didn't phase 'em. Didn't even give them a moment's pause. What more needs to be said about their mindset? Their guns are their world. Nothing else matters. I think many dream of their lives ending in a blaze of glory in a place just like the OK Corral, but with wifi.

I'd say the NRA is symbolic of the bloodbath they would much prefer to stepping from the stone age into real civilization. But we must. And that is why I'll applaud every baby-step in the right direction.
I'm glad Walmart took this baby step, and I'm hoping they don't back pedal.

Even though I'm realistic and know that there are still numerous places for people with bad intentions to obtain firearms, ammunition, and other dangerous weapons, to me the bigger victory in this case is for a major corporation to tell the tainted NRA to go pound sand, that they're not going to be bullied and coerced into doing what the NRA wants.

The NRA used to be outspoken in standing for responsible gun ownership and gun safety but has devolved into the dysfunctional and disgraceful organization that you describe.

Now only if our politicians would take the private sector's lead as a cue!

Old 09-03-2019, 07:04 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,728,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
As the links provided goes this posters words...fake....but why would we think anything different?

You don't seem to be good at math either.....there is an estimated 5-6 million members of the NRA.....what % is that vs the population of the United States? Pssst.... You cannot use your fingers and toes to do this.
You were out on parole for a while, Chuck, but with this gem it's back to ignore you go.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:22 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
You were out on parole for a while, Chuck, but with this gem it's back to ignore you go.

Good to hear, now I won't (hopefully) be able to see your posts...which is a huge+++++++++++

Or basically, you cannot answer....

Old 09-03-2019, 07:40 PM

5,862 posts, read 3,302,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I don't go to gun shows often, but I never thought of going on the last day to try and get good bargains on ammo.
Are the prices really good enough to compensate for the admission fee into the show?

`
Get there about two hours before close. You definitely can save the admission on the savings you get on bulk. The thing is that you have to go in knowing you are buying in bulk. Buying a few boxes is not worth it.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:56 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,823,349 times
I don't know if you guys actually read the announcement BUT Walmart is only prohibiting OPEN carry. In Kansas that will require they have a specific sign which prohibits OPEN carry but it does NOT prevent a person from lawfully carrying CONCEALED unless Walmart put up a general no firearms sign because in my State, Kansas, we have constitutional carry.

Personally, I think it's a stupid corporate policy but those stores are their property and therefore they can do what they want.

Just last week I got into an argument, not a debate, an actual argument with my niece who worked for Walmart for 8 years about firearms in Walmart. She tried to tell me that all firearms are prohibited in our local Walmart and that it has been that way the entire time she worked there. I argued she was wrong because there aren't any signs on the doors prohibiting firearms to which she countered they are there and that I just didn't look hard enough. I went by that store over the weekend, carefully driving by each door and there are no signs anywhere prohibiting carrying firearms of any kind.

Kansas had a very specific sign for prohibiting open carry while still allowing concealed carry. I will keep a close eye out for whatever kind of signs they post, if they post them at all. BTW, in Kansas, the only way a business can prohibit carrying a firearm is if they post a sign at each and every publicly accessible door at eye level. The signs are required to meet State standards, so again, I'll just wait and see.

Old 09-03-2019, 08:03 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,687,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
I don't know if you guys actually read the announcement BUT Walmart is only prohibiting OPEN carry. In Kansas that will require they have a specific sign which prohibits OPEN carry but it does NOT prevent a person from lawfully carrying CONCEALED unless Walmart put up a general no firearms sign because in my State, Kansas, we have constitutional carry.

Kansas had a very specific sign for prohibiting open carry while still allowing concealed carry. I will keep a close eye out for whatever kind of signs they post, if they post them at all. BTW, in Kansas, the only way a business can prohibit carrying a firearm is if they post a sign at each and every publicly accessible door at eye level. The signs are required to meet State standards, so again, I'll just wait and see.
Good to know I can be armed when I go in to buy my opiates along with millions of others they have dealt those to!

I will ignore the label on the bottle that says don't operate machinery, etc.....because it doesn't say anything about firearms in particular and maybe they aren't machinery per se.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies