Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2019, 05:28 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I'm fascinated that conservatives do not support a business being allowed to decide which products they want to sell.

i don't care if Walmart does or doesn't sell guns. but it sure has triggered some folks on Twitter..........they are upset about it.
It's as if - after they made Corporations People...they now think that Corporations are not people!

Just like their Big Issues like balancing the budget.....get thrown out the window the instant they think it doesn't suit their narrative.

They loved the invisible hand...until the hand told them something they don't agree with! Remember good ole free trade? That was about the only pillar of the GOP besides the lies about balancing the budget.

I think they figure if they become like liberals...that is, don't put ALL their faith in that magic invisible hand...they might pick up some votes. But it's not just populism that drives them...they go ALL THE WAY. It's not like they are saying "Capitalism is still great, it's just that we need a bit more regulation" but instead they are saying "We need to fully regulate all of our trade to punish those who we decided, but virtual of a tweet, aren't Making America Great Again".

While at the same time approving of REMOVING regulations domestically which allow us to have cleaner air, water and land....and safer products and better health insurance, etc.

The only way to make ANY sense of it is "Orange said so" because nothing logical will work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 05:30 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/03/busin...les/index.html

Well we'll see how soon the freak-out begins.

GOOD!... Buy Local!

Last thing I bought at Wally World was a printer/scanner, at 9:30 at night, when my old one decided to flake out and that was 8 years ago.

Old 09-03-2019, 05:39 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
I'm fascinated that conservatives do not support a business being allowed to decide which products they want to sell.

I know, kinda like dems with free speech and not being allowed to say what they want to say, when they want to say it......I clearly remember the hogg-ingraham conflict, that you may or may not have agreed with.....

Quote:
i don't care if Walmart does or doesn't sell guns. but it sure has triggered some folks on Twitter..........they are upset about it.

Yet, here you are bashing conservatives....

Old 09-03-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
It's as if - after they made Corporations People...they now think that Corporations are not people!

Just like their Big Issues like balancing the budget.....get thrown out the window the instant they think it doesn't suit their narrative.

They loved the invisible hand...until the hand told them something they don't agree with! Remember good ole free trade? That was about the only pillar of the GOP besides the lies about balancing the budget.

I think they figure if they become like liberals...that is, don't put ALL their faith in that magic invisible hand...they might pick up some votes. But it's not just populism that drives them...they go ALL THE WAY. It's not like they are saying "Capitalism is still great, it's just that we need a bit more regulation" but instead they are saying "We need to fully regulate all of our trade to punish those who we decided, but virtual of a tweet, aren't Making America Great Again".

While at the same time approving of REMOVING regulations domestically which allow us to have cleaner air, water and land....and safer products and better health insurance, etc.

The only way to make ANY sense of it is "Orange said so" because nothing logical will work.

I thought we were talking about repubs........

Old 09-03-2019, 05:41 PM

19,211 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I just heard that on the news. Good for Walmart! A step in the right direction!!
I also just heard this story on the news and I also agree. It's a start.

I do have one question here that anyone with experience about the power of the NRA. Following the story about Walmart, another story followed where the President stated last week he wanted stricter laws on gun control (or something like that) but relented under pressure from the NRA. Here's my question.

What is this "power" that the NRA seems to have over our elected officials in Washington? And why can't these officials get it that we, the people, are the ones they are supposed to be representing, not the NRA?

Anyone? I'm not being sarcastic here. I really want to know why they have so much power over them. Thanks

Old 09-03-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
What does that have to do with guns ?

Probably kills more than guns....but why would we expect people such as you to connect the dots.....

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times
But its my empathy gun.

4,021 posts, read 1,798,833 times
Quote:

I don't think anyone said that...of course they have the right to sell or not sell anything......most people I know are just going to put them on the list of 'stores to not shop at'. Their clientele is predominantly conservative, and is unlikely to be replaced by liberals (since libs think WalMart is 'lower class'). Dicks saw it's sales drop 8% in the year after they decided to stop selling AR's...I would expect Wal Mart's to drop even more....

Old 09-03-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I also just heard this story on the news and I also agree. It's a start.

I do have one question here that anyone with experience about the power of the NRA. Following the story about Walmart, another story followed where the President stated last week he wanted stricter laws on gun control (or something like that) but relented under pressure from the NRA. Here's my question.

What is this "power" that the NRA seems to have over our elected officials in Washington? And why can't these officials get it that we, the people, are the ones they are supposed to be representing, not the NRA?

Anyone? I'm not being sarcastic here. I really want to know why they have so much power over them. Thanks

It depends, are you asking a dem or a repub. I'm not being sarcastic...really...

Old 09-03-2019, 05:44 PM

19,211 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
It depends, are you asking a dem or a repub. I'm not being sarcastic...really...
Both? I just want to know what this power is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies