Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 05:00 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
(2)Requirements
The system established under paragraph (1) shall require that—

(A)an individual shall be eligible to receive such a license if the individual—
(i)has completed training in firearms safety, including—
(I)a written test, to demonstrate knowledge of applicable firearms laws; and
(II)hands-on testing, including firing testing, to demonstrate safe use and sufficient accuracy of a firearm;
(ii)as part of the process for applying for such a license—
(I)has submitted to a background investigation and criminal history check of the individual;
(II)has submitted proof of identity;
(III)has submitted the fingerprints of the individual; and
(IV)has submitted identifying information on the firearm that the person intends to obtain, including the make, model, and serial number, and the identity of the firearm seller or transferor;

You have to get a license for every gun you buy?
Did all of that to get a CCW. But now it is thankfully not required, because each step was expensive. It could prevent poor people from owning a gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 05:03 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,817,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Must we repeat this over and over again?........I guess so.

Being a car owner is not covered in the Constitution......the ability to have arms is.
You can still have people register their arms. Just takes an amendment. As a gun owner myself I don't have an issue with it.

Old 09-16-2019, 05:10 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
You can still have people register their arms. Just takes an amendment. As a gun owner myself I don't have an issue with it.
My state has a law forbidding registration. Most dictators start with gun registration and then confiscation.

Old 09-16-2019, 05:15 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,612,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Must we repeat this over and over again?........I guess so.

Being a car owner is not covered in the Constitution......the ability to have arms is.
The constitution has also been amended 27 times, and many of those times to deal with situations when society gets to a point that it's massively dysfunctional with the status quo or as a means to correct injustices (i.e. legalized slavery, etc.) in which a minority of the population is suffering needlessly due to some peoples' views of "freedoms" without the corresponding responsibility.

Maybe the answer isn't a complete repeal of the 2nd amendment, but it's clear that the way it's been implemented has resulted in a far worse cultural outcome than many of our neighbors, including some such as Sweden whose citizens still commonly own firearms but don't have the violence the US has. In order for that to happen, both a cultural shift (that deals with how the "good guys" and the "bad guys" are handled), and a change in the law to something more sane that protects both lives and rights would have to occur though.

Old 09-16-2019, 05:16 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Why nt make it so gun oweners have to be licensed? Car owners are.
are car owners licensed at the federal level?? have we gone to a USA federal drivers license that I didn't know of??

or are you arguing FOR states to have the right to license

Old 09-16-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
The constitution has also been amended 27 times, and many of those times to deal with situations when society gets to a point that it's massively dysfunctional with the status quo or as a means to correct injustices (i.e. legalized slavery, etc.) in which a minority of the population is suffering needlessly due to some peoples' views of "freedoms" without the corresponding responsibility.

Maybe the answer isn't a complete repeal of the 2nd amendment, but it's clear that the way it's been implemented has resulted in a far worse cultural outcome than many of our neighbors, including some such as Sweden whose citizens still own firearms but don't have the violence the US has. In order for that to happen, both a cultural shift and change in law to something more sane that protects lives and rights would have to occur though.
what most anti-2nd amendment people don't realize, is that if you abolish the 2nd amendment you also kill the 1st, the 4th, and the 5th amendment too

Old 09-16-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
My state has a law forbidding registration. Most dictators start with gun registration and then confiscation.
We don't live in a dictatorship, although Trump is trying his damnedest to make it one. If I don't have a problem under somebody like that, you guys should be even more fine with it.

Old 09-16-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
We don't live in a dictatorship.
but take away the rights of the people, and soon it will be...

most dictators are leftists

Old 09-16-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
but take away the rights of the people, and soon it will be...

most dictators are leftists
Nobody is taking your rights. But all these gun conversations sure help us all pass the time, don't they?

Old 09-16-2019, 05:21 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,385,024 times
Quote:
We don't live in a dictatorship, although Trump is trying his damnedest to make it one. If I don't have a problem under somebody like that, you guys should be even more fine with it.
Please provide links... We will be waiting.

The reason we have the Second Amendment is to protect the people from government. The government will never be in a position to take our guns, with 300 million and counting (guns that is). Let the Dems try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies