Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2019, 11:01 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,461,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Yeah...you go right ahead and leave "groceries stores half empty". When the riots break out, be sure to let them know it was your idea.
food to plate Farmer markets are a great alternatives.

If more farms focused on local demand rather than international supply chains we could more than compensate for the loss of high storage grocery stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 11:02 AM

30,637 posts, read 19,347,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I will tell you because I already now. We have too much food.

Soy bean and grain production is industrialized not to feed people, but to feed cattle and produce a massive surplus in meat for people to eat every day.

Chocolate and sugary foods is mass produced. Mount Dew is worse than most drugs and yet its legal.

Unsaturated fat is applied to everything, portions are too big, and there is a massive advertisement industry to back it up. There is too much money to be made in the food business and there is to much money to be made in make people more sedentary.

Our military cannot even find new recruits.

Whats the answer? Lower food supplies by cutting down on the supply chain. Break up big corporations that monitor them, and leave grocery stores half empty.

That will force farmers to rely on local markets for their goods and adjust production to fit those needs. It means you can't walk in a grocery story anywhere in the country and find cheese from all over the world or fully stocked shelves. It means companies can't focus on unhealthy recipes because they wouldn't have access to the production methods, labor, or resources needed.

I don't drink soda, or anything besides water. I don't drink Coffee (which is harvested from poor southern countries). I can't believe other people do.

It is so easy to avoid the temptation when the option is not on the table. And guess what, once you stop having it, you no longer desire it. I don't have any temptation when I see table salt or a bottle of soda/fruit juice/alcohol/coffee. None.

And the answer is not to have a class of people splurge on expensive diets and gym memberships. Its about how we work, interact, and live. Its about how corporate America has modeled our consumption habit and how the media and the government enforce it.

Also mountain Dew executives need to be arrested, that drink is a hundred times worse than coke and pepsi. Doritos/Papa Johns, etc. also need to be jailed.

What's needed are:

1. Good nutrition education
2. Improve the food chain
3. Self discipline

Old 09-17-2019, 11:02 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,927,573 times
@Winterfall8324 you focused completely on food in this thread and have ignored another factor and that is that Americans are completely car dependent for transportation for the most part.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Everyone is ignoring this comment, but this is the reason. We wanted fast, convenient, and cheap.

Junk food is way cheaper than healthy food.

It takes way less time to prepare.

We don't have a country full of "salad" drive thrus.
I agree, people need to accept high prices.

We also need to make people feel less in a rush and more stable so they can sit down and prepare food rather than eat fast.

More focus on jobs not being far away and allowing them to decentralize will help. And the speed of the internet/constant dopamine retrieval has been a problem.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:05 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,067,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Mount Dew is worse than most drugs and yet its legal.
Also mountain Dew executives need to be arrested, that drink is a hundred times worse than coke and pepsi.
What is it with you and Mt Dew? I get a Super Big Gulp of Diet Mt Dew every morning on the way to work.
I say praise the executives of Mt Dew not arrest them.

ETa: No one forces me to get it. I like it.

On a even less serious note maybe the government should just dictate what, how much and when we can eat. Forced morning hikes may also improve health.

The government should also dictate my housing and where I choose to live.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
you focused completely on food in this thread and have ignored another factor and that is that Americans are completely car dependent for transportation for the most part.
Oh I completely agree. I briefly mentioned in my OP about how life is organized/ how consumption is promoted by the government and corporate America.

Are towns and big cities have become less connected, work has become more sedentary, and people need to drive around to get everywhere.

When you don't live in a big city it is more efficient to drive everywhere, but our economy needs to focus less on efficient (speedy communication) and more on social well being.

The models of our towns and cities need to change.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:06 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,133,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
@Winterfall8324 you focused completely on food in this thread and have ignored another factor and that is that Americans are completely car dependent for transportation for the most part.
This is true. We designed our cities in such a way that they are unlivable without a car.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:08 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,067,114 times
Quote:
Everyone is ignoring this comment, but this is the reason. We wanted fast, convenient, and cheap.

We don't have a country full of "salad" drive thrus.
If the consumer wanted them we would. cooking a burger isn't fast either.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:08 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,609,330 times
If people would look for nutrition rather than convenience, that would go a long way towards a healthier public.

Read the ingredients of what you're buying.

Avoid those products with MSG, high fructose corn syrup, and processed sugar. Say no the "white foods" like rice, potatoes and bread or pasta baked with bleached flour.

Fresh fruits and vegetables should be a big part of each day's menu.

Switch to olive oil from corn oil for cooking.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:10 AM

28,343 posts, read 16,433,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
That's if you do 60 minutes of running 4 days a week!

No, that is not reasonable to expect everyone to do that. Nor did your average person 30 years ago do that much exercise. Not even close.

That example goes to show how difficult it is to lose weight via exercise.
So you are simply looking for excuses to be fat.

How long/often do you figure folks workout? Also, it was "medium intensity" running.

I work out 5x a week for at least 30, usually 60 mins per session. 60 mins of "medium intensity" exercise 4x per week is not some Herculean amount - it's actually about average, I would guess.

Also, your article talks about basal metabolic rate (BMR) being the largest mechanism for burning calories. Adding muscle mass is a sure fire way to raise your BMR, so the benefit of exercising when it includes resistance training is two-fold. It burns calories while you're exercising and over time it will add muscle mass which will raise your BMR, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies