Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 03:16 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,252,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I had mine 32 years ago. A day or two hospital and 6 weeks, 2 paid and 4 unpaid leave. I worked until my contractions were 5 minutes apart.
Granted it would have been great to have 6 months off with full pay, but not necessary to "recover".
Working until you're in labour seems insane to me. And probably a part of why the infant mortality rate is so high in the US (compared to other developed countries). Here maternity leave starts between 8-5 weeks before your due date because it's understood that it's not healthy to keep working late in the pregnancy - it's a risk to you and the baby. Then around 4 months leave post-birth because that makes breastfeeding easier which, while not really making a difference on an individual level, does make a difference health outcomes-wise on a population level so giving maternity leave makes the population healthier, which then costs less in the long run. Then 5 months of parental leave for either parent because while it's usually taken by mums, it's good for dads to take time with their babies too. All this benefits society - healthier population, happier population, more women remain in work so more taxes being paid in to pay for these leaves.

You have to look at the big picture, not just the immediate costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 10:37 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,045,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Pure nonsense. Women should take all the time they need but they should provide for their own means to care for their own children after they are born. They made the choice to get pregnant, not their neighbor. Therefore they can pay for it, not their neighbor. If a family wants to spend half a year at home with their newborns they should save up to cover their time off.
This. Having children is a personal decision and all expenses borne in having them should be paid for directly by the parents out of their own personal assets. There should be no paid family leave at all. It's absurd. And it's tyranny.

Old 10-25-2019, 11:20 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
No pay gap, no fines, no funds, no paid maternity leave. Much ado about nothing.

Old 10-26-2019, 01:59 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,110,886 times
California already does a little bit of that.

I get $1252 a week for family leave for 6 weeks.

I am a six figure earner though which is why it's so high.

Old 10-26-2019, 02:25 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,110,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
6 months fully paid (for those earning up to 75k) is very generous by the standards of most large western economies.

How will it be paid for? From the article: "The federal government’s portion would be funded through fines on corporations that fail to narrow their gender-based pay gaps.

Will this nonsense help her in the Primaries? It sure won't in the General.
I literally cried laughing. At that point you'd have government inspectors desperate for money constantly visiting companies to see if there are violations.

If she said cutting military spending and needless overseas spending I'd be all in favor but she's not that sensible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies