Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2019, 08:14 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, there are a few posters who rant all the time about people speaking Spanish in public in private conversations - Oldglory is infamous for that - and he gets of course slapped down by multiple posters telling him to MYOB.
The way I see it, it's no one's business the language spoken in a private conversation. Unless the main idea is for said person to lose the ability to speak the language of their ancestors. And I think this is what some persons want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 08:18 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The way I see it, it's no one's business the language spoken in a private conversation. Unless the main idea is for said person to lose the ability to speak the language of their ancestors. And I think this is what some persons want.
That's rich. I never invited foreign language speaks here. They can simply go home if they can't or won't speak English. If your speaking loudly, unpleasantly in public, you're making it my business.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:19 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So, how did the very much non-diverse nations of Japan and Germany fare during WW II?
Considering the size of their land areas, populations and economies, pound for pound, they kicked ass. It took a coalition of pretty much all the rest of the world powers 5 years to defeat them. It was as if a couple of middleweight pro fighters brawled against an entire NFL team.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:20 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So, how did the very much non-diverse nations of Japan and Germany fare during WW II?
Ironically enough, diversity indirectly led to Japan's defeat in World War II. Here's how: in the 1930s, they set out to create an empire. Given the wonderfully benign name of the "Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere," the Japanese empire brought a diverse bunch of Chinese, Koreans, Filipinos, Polynesians, etc. under their rule. However, this empire led to their downfall. It was to protest their imperialistic expansion that the United States put an embargo on oil shipments to Japan, which backed them into a corner and ultimately led them to attack Pearl Harbor. Then, later on, trying to hold on to their empire cost them a bunch of manpower and resources that could have otherwise been used to fight against us.

To be sure, Japan didn't lose the war because of the diversity of their empire. But they didn't lose it because of the lack of diversity of their own population, either.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:21 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
That's rich. I never invited foreign language speaks here. They can simply go home if they can't or won't speak English.
Well, they probably wouldn't want to visit you anyway given your rather pronounced hostility to cultures other than your own.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Ironically enough, diversity indirectly led to Japan's defeat in World War II. Here's how: in the 1930s, they set out to create an empire. Given the wonderfully benign name of the "Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere," the Japanese empire brought a diverse bunch of Chinese, Koreans, Filipinos, Polynesians, etc. under their rule. However, this empire led to their downfall. It was to protest their imperialistic expansion that the United States put an embargo on oil shipments to Japan, which backed them into a corner and ultimately led them to attack Pearl Harbor. Then, later on, trying to hold on to their empire cost them a bunch of manpower and resources that could have otherwise been used to fight against us.

To be sure, Japan didn't lose the war because of the diversity of their empire. But they didn't lose it because of the lack of diversity of their own population, either.
You bring up a good point. Imperialist Japan and Nazi Germany were both imperialistic and budding empires which would increase their nation's diversity.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
I'll give you a better example. How has non-diverse Haiti fared in the last 200 years?
Hold on a minute here... non-diverse Haiti? According to current-year media, the more black people the more diverse. So Haiti, being nearly 100% black, is about as diverse as it gets.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:31 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Hercules View Post
I didn’t know that about Pastrami. We have a sizable Jewish population in Montgomery county,MD here, mainly Bethesda. Yes today’s Virginia is a lot better. It’s a great state, although I have some bias. I’m from Arlington, I have a couple Bolivian friends and there were a lot at my schools growing up, quite a sizable Bolivian population here. I love Salteñas. Yea I noticed quite a few Ethiopian/ Eritreans out in Seattle. I grew up close to Bailey’s crossroads which is where a lot of the Habesha people clustered in northern Virginia. My sister lives in Chirilagua area of Alexandria which is named after a municipality in El Salvador. It’s good to know someone else on this particular board has an interest in history and demographics.
I used to live in DC, and there was a saying - when there's a revolution or revolt somewhere in the world, Washington gains a new (ethnic) restaurant.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
The way I see it, it's no one's business the language spoken in a private conversation.
Of course. That should go without saying.

Quote:
Unless the main idea is for said person to lose the ability to speak the language of their ancestors. And I think this is what some persons want.
The main idea, if we're talking about the long-term best interests of a nation state, is for everyone to speak the same language. People might also maintain their ancestral language, if they choose to make that effort, but that would be a personal, not national, priority.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Hercules View Post
Are you serious? Why do you care if people are speaking amongst each other in their language. I can understand if they are trying to speak to you in their language and getting frustrated that you aren’t understanding them, otherwise why do you care. You shouldn’t get triggered just because people want to speak to each other in their original language.
Because I didn't want all the mass immigration for so long to begin with. Many of them are illegally here even, and are of low education and class, lower than our own native lower class. They just constitute an unpleasant sight and sound in the public square, and shouldn't be here to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies