Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2022, 09:23 AM

18,587 posts, read 7,450,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
He was a cop resounding to a call for a potential burglary. Then he sees someone pointing a gun at him. How doesn't he have the right to defend himself?
Here's how: He was the aggressor. He had a right to defend himself against an actual burglar.

Last edited by hbdwihdh378y9; 12-21-2022 at 09:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2022, 09:23 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,052,733 times
Quote:
He was a cop resounding to a call for a potential burglary. Then he sees someone pointing a gun at him. How doesn't he have the right to defend himself? At the same time if she had shot him she would also have been innocent because she has the right to defend herself. The whole thing was a screw up of communication. NO ONE should have been found guilty of anything. They just need to implement new procedures to make sure it doesn't happen again.
The difference is that she was on her own property. He was trespassing. He didnt announce himself or say that he was a police officer. As for implementing new procedures, he admitted that he didnt follow the procedures that he should have followed. If he had then she likely wouldnt be dead and he wouldnt be going to jail.

Old 12-21-2022, 09:51 AM

6,389 posts, read 2,966,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
The difference is that she was on her own property. He was trespassing. He didnt announce himself or say that he was a police officer. As for implementing new procedures, he admitted that he didnt follow the procedures that he should have followed. If he had then she likely wouldnt be dead and he wouldnt be going to jail.
Cops on calls to potential burglarizes are trespassers now? I'm not saying that he didn't do anything wrong. I'm just saying there is enough blame to go around and that he shouldn't have been charged with a crime.

Old 12-21-2022, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Cops on calls to potential burglarizes are trespassers now? I'm not saying that he didn't do anything wrong. I'm just saying there is enough blame to go around and that he shouldn't have been charged with a crime.
Yes he was a trespasser. He didnt announce himself as a police officer as he was supposed to and as he admitted to. The only blame falls on him. He shot a woman inside her own house.

Old 12-21-2022, 10:19 AM

15,780 posts, read 7,767,657 times
Quote:
He DID identify the target - a woman pointing a gun at him.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/former-off...ry?id=95066156

https://6abc.com/aaron-dean-sentence...tice/12594485/

12 years for defending himself. Say hello to crime and chaos. I hope the governor commutes the sentence. That's what I would do.
The Texas Governor does not have the power to commute a sentence without a recommendation from the The Board of Pardons and Paroles

Dean was not defending himself. The victim was not holding a firearm, and even if she was, he would have had no right to just shoot her. And, Dean did not announce his presence and identify himself as a police officer.

Old 12-21-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Yes he was a trespasser. He didnt announce himself as a police officer as he was supposed to and as he admitted to. The only blame falls on him. He shot a woman inside her own house.
So in the heat of the moment a cop makes a mistake - and gets years in prison. Who wants to be a cop under circumstances like that? Crime is already on the rise. How bad do you want it to get?

Old 12-21-2022, 10:39 AM

51,407 posts, read 37,080,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Your so-called innocent woman was no angel. She pointed a gun at a police officer in a ghetto.

Botham Jean was no angel either. He was friends with a known drug dealer with convictions.

George Floyd had served prison time. He was no angel either. He was also uncooperative with law enforcement on the scene.

Police officers deal with some of the worst people.
She pointed a gun at what she thought was an intruder in her backyard. Where are all the “people have the right to defend their homes” supporters now? I think it only applies to some people, right?

Old 12-21-2022, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
She pointed a gun at what she thought was an intruder in her backyard. Where are all the “people have the right to defend their homes” supporters now? I think it only applies to some people, right?
I defend her too. If she had shot the cop I would not favor any charges against her.

Old 12-21-2022, 11:23 AM

6,841 posts, read 14,104,968 times
Quote:
I defend her too. If she had shot the cop I would not favor any charges against her.

If she would have shot him she would be facing either life without parole or the death sentence. He did not follow his department procedure and killed a innocent person because of this. There is price to pay for taking a life and being a police officer does not make you immune if your at fault.

Old 12-21-2022, 11:45 AM

Quote:
So in the heat of the moment a cop makes a mistake - and gets years in prison. Who wants to be a cop under circumstances like that? Crime is already on the rise. How bad do you want it to get?

All of this could have been avoided if he had knocked on the front door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies