Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2019, 07:21 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,745,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
If I recall, if premiums were greater that 8% of household income you got a pass.

No shortage of self employed do not declare all their income.
Native American tribes, Amish and those enrolled in religious healthcare sharing ministries also got a pass.

Many simply checked the box and claimed they were insured.
I'm self employed and I do declare everything, everything is electronic. I pay a professional to do my taxes so everything is on the up and up and when I did get audited, I was not worried and and called my CPA. It cost me $700 to pay the CPA to go over the books and answer question for the IRS. You know what the IRS agent found? Nothing wrong, but it still cost me $700 bucks.

And I also paid those crazy, out of hand, full ticket price monthly premiums for healthcare. Yet, there are some people who claim it is too hard for them to get a proper voter ID. And you wonder why the attitude?

Old 10-17-2019, 07:21 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
Mutualization is not synonymous with insurance. Some insurers will insure all kinds of things, for a price.

What insurance is, however, is discretionary--exactly what Obamacare mandates on employers and policy composition are not.
Insurers typically pay claims using the premiums paid by others who don’t make claims or have lessor claims.

Auto Liability insurance is mandated. Some states also mandate insurance to cover claims for accidents cause by uninsured motorists.

Can’t finance a car without it being adequately insured.

Can’t get a mortgage without proof of adequate insurance. If the property is located in a flood zone, that includes subsidized flood insurance.

Those who forgo healthcare insurance typically don’t have a Plan B.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Insurers typically pay claims using the premiums paid by others who don’t make claims or have lessor claims.

Auto Liability insurance is mandated. Some states also mandate insurance to cover claims for accidents cause by uninsured motorists.

Can’t finance a car without it being adequately insured.

Can’t get a mortgage without proof of adequate insurance. If the property is located in a flood zone, that includes subsidized flood insurance.

Those who forgo healthcare insurance typically don’t have a Plan B.
It doesn't matter, how much is the middle class expected to pay for people who can't carry their own weight? On a side note, I am not talking about the truly disabled or the elderly but the able bodied. Don't worry, my cousin is one of them, we tried to help several times but he's an idiot and I apologize for his able bodied existence who thinks nothing of taking from the system. I had nothing to do with him, I wasn't there that night and he doesn't deserve my respect so I don't speak to him.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I am on expanded Medicaid that I was only able to get because of the ACA. It costs taxpayers several thousands a month for my medical care. If I don't get some of the medical care, I will die. Since I don't want to die then I will continue to accept expanded Medicaid.
No shortage of posters to this forum seem to take the position, that it’s your problem. They don’t want their taxes to subsidize other people.

Sad.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
No shortage of posters to this forum seem to take the position, that it’s your problem. They don’t want their taxes to subsidize other people.

Sad.
Again, how much subsidy is enough? How much before you would think people feel taken advantage of and get angry? Their whole paycheck?

Sad

Old 10-17-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
People lived longer back then on average than they do today--if they survived childbirth.
Please provide credible links to support your post.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
As a 56 year old breast cancer survivor, I say that's nuts. 1 in 8 women will get BC in their lifetime.
As you know, f survival rates increase with early detection. Same is true for most Cancers. Inclusion of age appropriate screenings make sense for everyone.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:37 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
Point is that it shouldn’t have been screwed with in the first place!
Republicans have allowed that. They didn't even want their compromise to universal healthcare when it was initially voted on and still don't. It got passed and instead looked for the courts to fix ObamaCare rather than governance. Now they can't even put a plan out and just wanted to repeal it, look at what that got it. Now they want it death spiral with the removal of individual mandate. Republicans don't give a damn and will screw us by allowing healthcare to go back to legacy healthcare insurance where preexisting conditions are simply a liability to them.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I believe the GOP had a healthcare plan alternative and it was John McCain that tanked the whole deal but that's besides the point. Had Hillary won - we would still be seeing these enormous increases because the Dems were waiting for it to implode to force single payer. Can't blame Trump - Obama started this whole mess - Pelosi pushed it though saying we'll see what's in it after it's past - so the Dems dropped the ball.

And as far as preexisting - it still exists and you can still end up paying for services due to a pre-existing condition. I had a benign lump which cost me $2500 OOP 1 1/2 yrs ago - my annual mammograms are no longer covered as they are following a pre-existing condition to see if any more appear. I called the State Attorney General's office for what I believed was falsified billing - they told me that's the way it is - the ACA is useless.
Mc Cain opposed “ Skinny Repeal” which was not healthcare.

He did so because there had been no debate- actually more strong arming than occurred with the ACA.
In that case, Congress had ample opportunities to review early drafts and influence the final.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt22 View Post
Rachel, I'm in the same boat, I don't have lifetime medical as part of my retirement from my employer. Have you considered any of the so called cost sharing companies? Look at Aliera health, medishare, there are a few others but I don't remember. Monthly bills are cheaper, I've had Aliera for a while now and don't have any issues with it, it's basically the same as having regular "medical insurance".

I looked at Obama Care and it was more than I wanted to pay and I also didn't qualify for subsidies.
Aliera is very clear. It is not insurance nor does it replace the need for insurance. There are no guarantees your medical expenses will be reimbursed.

https://www.calhealth.net/Aliera-car...ra-care-is-NOT

Faith- based sharing ministries typically require members to refrain from substances, maintain a healthy weight, belong to a Christian church, negotiate fees with providers and pray for sick members.

I prefer certainty, especially if I am facing the incredible uncertainty of a serious disease.

I can and do appreciate that many find such ministries preferable to insurance for the obvious reason, cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies