Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2019, 07:46 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,745,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Your bolded point requires $$$$$, and as you know the vast majority of this country only earns $ or $$. Don't be ridiculous
So your solution is to take money from someone else? Work for the money you need, do more, like the people who are doing the right thing for themselves and for society. Again, as I said...

The best thing everyone can do for society is to be able to support yourself without taking from others to do it. If liberals really wanted a better society why don't they support that idea?

Old 10-17-2019, 07:48 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Then work for the money, do more, like the people who are doing the right thing for themselves and for society.
Everybody can't, unless restaurants and grocery stores are just going to close their doors because all of a sudden everyone is a tech worker or doctor and they can't find any employees. You're not being realistic

Old 10-17-2019, 07:50 AM

6,995 posts, read 2,711,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
We have employee based insurance with a high deductible. It’s like not having insurance. We have to pay out of pocket for everything since we don’t meet our deductible
No it's not. We have insurance through our employer. You are paying a significant discount for services even for the charges that you are paying out of pocket. I just got a colonoscopy a few weeks ago and received the bill for the visit. The invoice lists the "billed charge" for each item and next to it the "allowed charge". Without insurance, I would be paying "full retail".

Without insurance: $3089.00
With insurance out of pocket: $1073.28

41,110 posts, read 25,745,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Everybody can't, unless restaurants and grocery stores are just going to close their doors because all of a sudden everyone is a tech worker or doctor and they can't find any employees. You're not being realistic
So being it sounds like you don't have the skills that demand a higher wage. When you were younger, did you think you were going to live a white picket fence life on minimum wage? Did you do any planning, preparation and working for your future then, did it cross your mind?

or did you just go about where life took you? Then you are living with the result of your decisions. But now you demand that those of us who did prepare pay for your lack of prep and the result of your decisions too.

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I guess you forgot about Sen. John McStain voting no, just to stick it to Trump. McStain didnt care about Americans not getting health care because he had a great plan.

If you're so concerned, why don't you call Nervous Nancy and tell her to get the Demonrats together to create a health plan like they promised to do instead of having dog and pony shows with Schiff For Brains. I heard she had a breakdown in a meeting today because she demands we have more wars. She and Schiffty are good friends with a Ukrainian arms dealer so will lose a lot of money if peace breaks out..
McCain voted no on “ skinny repeal”. He did so because there had been no debate, similar to how Obamacare was approved in 2010. He declined to be a part of it.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
And that is what so many Democrats don't seem to understand! I don't think anyone objects to paying reasonable costs for themselves and their immediate families, but middle-class people like Rachel and myself DO mind paying unreasonable and exorbitant costs, partly because of others who pay NOTHING and who might not even be U.S. citizens, and partly because of the greed of pharmaceutical companies and those in the medical care industry.
Rachel’s premium is NOT paying for those who receive subsidies.

Reasonable and affordable are subjective terms.

Undocumented people do not qualify for Obamacare/ subsidies.

Greed is also a subjective term. Prior to the ACA, insurers could increase premiums based on their own profit goals. The ACA caps profits and requires insurers to demonstrate to the state why an increase is necessary. As it relates to the Individual Plan market, it’s rather simple. When claims made/ paid exceed premiums, something has to give.

There are reasons why the Individual Plan market has been contracting for 25 years. It’s tough to make a buck.

That an insurer may be wildly profitable does not mean all lines are profitable. What percentage of those profits are from investments, not premiums? Medigap insurance is highly profitable which is why we are inundated with ads during open enrollment. Large group plans also tend to be very profitable.

All insurance ( not just healthcare,) mutualizes ( socializes) risks.

Pre ACA, some states found themselves in predicaments of inadequate number of insurers willing to write Individual Plans in some geo rated areas. Back then, states used to subsidize some insurers. Others made continued participation in the lucrative Large Group market conditional on continuing to write Individual Plans.

Some states trended looser in terms of what it allowed insurers to exclude. A few states allowed insurers to define “ condition” as in preexisting. Some states allowed insurers an unlimited “ look back” period.
Most states allowed insurers to charge different premiums based on risks associated with preexisting conditions.

And then there were the junk plans allowed by many states, low annual/ lifetime caps, exclusions of hospitalization, no cap on out of pocket, etc. there was and remains to a certain extent a consumer perception, all insurance is alike.

I do not think the ACA is the best thing since sliced bread. It was a start. Unfortunately, we have lost nearly a decade in terms of lost opportunity in terms of improvements due to politicizing healthcare.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:31 AM

2,495 posts, read 867,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Rachel’s premium is NOT paying for those who receive subsidies.

Reasonable and affordable are subjective terms.

Undocumented people do not qualify for Obamacare/ subsidies.

Greed is also a subjective term. Prior to the ACA, insurers could increase premiums based on their own profit goals. The ACA caps profits and requires insurers to demonstrate to the state why an increase is necessary. As it relates to the Individual Plan market, it’s rather simple. When claims made/ paid exceed premiums, something has to give.

There are reasons why the Individual Plan market has been contracting for 25 years. It’s tough to make a buck.

That an insurer may be wildly profitable does not mean all lines are profitable. What percentage of those profits are from investments, not premiums? Medigap insurance is highly profitable which is why we are inundated with ads during open enrollment. Large group plans also tend to be very profitable.

All insurance ( not just healthcare,) mutualizes ( socializes) risks.

Pre ACA, some states found themselves in predicaments of inadequate number of insurers willing to write Individual Plans in some geo rated areas. Back then, states used to subsidize some insurers. Others made continued participation in the lucrative Large Group market conditional on continuing to write Individual Plans.

Some states trended looser in terms of what it allowed insurers to exclude. A few states allowed insurers to define “ condition” as in preexisting. Some states allowed insurers an unlimited “ look back” period.
Most states allowed insurers to charge different premiums based on risks associated with preexisting conditions.

And then there were the junk plans allowed by many states, low annual/ lifetime caps, exclusions of hospitalization, no cap on out of pocket, etc. there was and remains to a certain extent a consumer perception, all insurance is alike.

I do not think the ACA is the best thing since sliced bread. It was a start. Unfortunately, we have lost nearly a decade in terms of lost opportunity in terms of improvements due to politicizing healthcare.
'Junk plans' were anything that didn't buy goofballs advertised on TV or didn't insure everyone for ObGyn appointments.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:33 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So being it sounds like you don't have the skills that demand a higher wage. When you were younger, did you think you were going to live a white picket fence life on minimum wage? Did you do any planning, preparation and working for your future then, did it cross your mind?

or did you just go about where life took you? Then you are living with the result of your decisions. But now you demand that those of us who did prepare pay for your lack of prep and the result of your decisions too.
Why are you thinking I'm a low wage worker? I'm a truck driver and make $60k/year. That still doesn't mean I don't want single payer healthcare

And further you ignored the main point of my post, which was that there is a wage hierarchy and everyone can't be in the middle up, there have to be people at the bottom

Old 10-17-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
The problem is medicare can't negotiate drug or hospital charges like all other governments do in the world with these large companies thanks to a law passed under George W. Bush.

Drug prices have been soaring for years and there's been plenty of price gouging going on from hospitals. I got a rabies shot a few years ago. I paid $750 and the thing was originally billed at $11,800. In the next most expensive country (Britain) it's ~$1500).

You can't address the cost of healthcare without first addressing the prices of drugs and hospitals
By law, Medicare reimbursed hospitals based on the average cost, including overhead, of any given crevice within each geo rated area.

By law, Congress has not allowed Medicare to negotiate or regulate the price of medications. These battles were fought and lost during the Bush years, when Medicare was expanded to include prescription meds. At the time, a majority in Congress believed private insurers could do a better job of negotiating than Medicare. It did not matter that the Bush Admin was supportive and the majority in both chambers of Congress was a Republican majority.

Many states want to be able to buy medications from Canada. Right now, Federal Law does not allow for it. Trump seems open to it. Of course the Pharma lobbies are working OT at the state and Federal levels. Imagine the next step will be Pharma sponsored ads intended to scare the masses about foreign medications as was done in the 90’s and 00’s.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
So do you know 1,000 Rabid Trump supporters who use Obamacare or 10? Not that it matters because you pretty much admitted that you don't know any you are simply assuming.

Obamacare screwed everybody who already had insurance. Work place provide or not. It did exactly what those who understood it said that it would do. Hammer the middle-class.

I am lucky I moved to a country with reasonable insurance rates. My wife and I just renewed our policy, it went up $60 from last year. We pay just over 3 grand a year for both of us. Still more than Obama's promised "for about what you pay for your cellphone each month." Talk about a liar in chief. The ACA is in fact one of the largest tax increases win history. Remember they passed it through the SCOTUS as a tax.
What country? No two countries to it the same.

Countries with Universal Healthcare mandate everyone insures their healthcare risks. Generally speaking, the public complies. They also subsidize low and no income. Private plans are increasingly common to help pay for that which, the basic plan does not.

The ACA is legislation, not insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies