Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it good or bad that the wealthiest 1% will have more wealth than the combined total of the entire
Good 11 6.15%
Bad 92 51.40%
doesn't matter/ makes no difference 76 42.46%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 08:54 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Its not just about wealth although income disparity is definitely, its the influence of lobbyists on our democracy that are funded by billionaires for their own self interests. Think about oil & gas, pharmaceutical, financial lobbies, they aren't after the best interest of our citizens. Pro-business lobbies could care less about the middle class.
Again, complete fantasy.

The politicians are elected by the people. If they don’t do what the people want, they get fired by the people.

Lobbyists can’t buy off politicians because the politicians would get fired.

Old 11-11-2019, 08:56 AM

8,155 posts, read 3,684,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
What? Do you even know what SALT is and how it works?

The rich is disproportionately and negatively impacted by SALT. They often buy expensive properties and used to put up their mortgage and property tax as deductible.

Now they can’t.
Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about them, the top rate was dropped from 39.6% to 37%. Would you like to know how much is 2.6% times, I don't know, couple hundred million or a billion?

Of course, it does not matter if the carried interest loophole is used, the rate would be 23.8% anyway, but that's another issue.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:01 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Its not just about wealth although income disparity is definitely, its the influence of lobbyists on our democracy that are funded by billionaires for their own self interests. Think about oil & gas, pharmaceutical, financial lobbies, they aren't after the best interest of our citizens. Pro-business lobbies could care less about the middle class.
I understand that you and possibly others "feel" that way about it. So ACT on that "feeling"... STOP buying the products/services "the rich" sell. STOP making the rich with whom you disagree even richer. That's an act you are very free to do.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:20 AM

18,472 posts, read 15,262,903 times
Quote:
Define “fairly.”

Currently the top 10% is paying virtually all the taxes while the bottom 50% pays zilch, nada and zero.

Think about this. I am by no means rich but my tax alone is more than 50% of Americans combined!!!!

How is that remotely fair?
“Taxed fairly” means they are taxed until they are not wealthy anymore.

As long as they are still wealthy, there is no amount they could be paying that could be considered “fair”, because it is not fair that they are wealthy, while the ones complaining about them not paying enough, are not wealthy. “So tax them more. And then tax them some more. And some more. Keep going, and we will let you know when they reach the point of “fairness”.”

Old 11-11-2019, 09:33 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about them, the top rate was dropped from 39.6% to 37%. Would you like to know how much is 2.6% times, I don't know, couple hundred million or a billion?

Of course, it does not matter if the carried interest loophole is used, the rate would be 23.8% anyway, but that's another issue.
That’s not how SALT works.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:34 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,718,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
Nope. I want to see them taxed fairly. If they don’t like being taxed, they can take their business elsewhere.
You don't want them taxed fairly, you want to use the tax code as a club and forcibly take their money because they are wealthier than you.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:38 AM

27,581 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I understand that you and possibly others "feel" that way about it. So ACT on that "feeling"... STOP buying the products/services "the rich" sell. STOP making the rich with whom you disagree even richer. That's an act you are very free to do.
If people were going to do that, then they would have already done it decades ago.

But nope, everybody wants the latest iPhone, uses Google and YouTube and Amazon and Netflix. They will certainly want the latest AI when it becomes widely available. They will just make the super rich even richer in the future.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:58 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,420,277 times
I voted doesn’t matter.

I support basic govt programs like health coverage for all, but I’m not in favor of replacing our market economy with anything else.

In a capitalist free market economy there is no max level of wealth allowed.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:08 AM

57,317 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Again, complete fantasy.

The politicians are elected by the people. If they don’t do what the people want, they get fired by the people.

Lobbyists can’t buy off politicians because the politicians would get fired.
The lobby by the Koch brothers to defeat regulation of oil & gas is not some fantasy, nor is the pharmaceutical lobby. Lobbyists can't buy off politicians did you really say that, you have no idea how much dark money impacts your life.

Somewhere around 98% of incumbents are reelected, so I guess everyone is happy with high drug prices.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:08 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If people were going to do that, then they would have already done it decades ago.

But nope, everybody wants the latest iPhone, uses Google and YouTube and Amazon and Netflix. They will certainly want the latest AI when it becomes widely available. They will just make the super rich even richer in the future.
Yep, and as they are WILLING participants in making the rich even richer, they have no standing to complain about the results of their own VOLUNTARY actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies