Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2019, 09:10 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,546,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Montana and Wyoming are left. But even those states might change. Many people are moving to Montana, and Wyoming is getting some migration from Colorado (specifically to Cheyenne).
And don't forget, Bill Clinton took Montana in 1992. It's like it has an undercurrent of blue-ness.

Can't say the same for Wyoming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 09:12 PM

73,027 posts, read 62,634,962 times
The only way to keep people out of Idaho is through illegal means. As long as Idaho is part of the USA, people who want to move there will move there. Nothing anyone can do about it. You can't make it illegal for people to move to your state. Not Constitutional.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:12 PM

17,637 posts, read 6,918,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Must be terrible to be that fearful of change. If you lose Idaho, what’s left?
Well, your famed "Blue Wall" sure isn't.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
And don't forget, Bill Clinton took Montana in 1992. It's like it has an undercurrent of blue-ness.

And consider this. Tom McCall led the "don't move to Oregon" scream when he was governor of Oregon. It didn't stop Californians or people from other states from moving there.

Wyoming is a different kind of state. Montana has historically had more industry than Wyoming. Both states have mining, but Montana has had more smelters. Butte has long been a Democratic stronghold in Montana. Copper smelting center. Wyoming has no such strongholds, aside from maybe Laramie. Clinton won Albany County in 1992 and 1996. It voted for Obama in 2008, and no Democrat has won it since.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:17 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,540,890 times
Quote:
I went to Boise once for a few days in 2006. Was in Eagle much of the time, and stayed at a hotel in downtown Boise. It has its virtues. Has a certain "rustic" appeal. I could easily imagine it turning into a hippie hangout. When I was there it seemed to be in its infancy toward that goal.

I also lived in Spokane for a few years so I'm pretty familiar with northern Idaho.

If enough people move there we can turn Idaho blue, just like we did with Colorado!

So let the move-to-Idaho promotions begin!

Move to Idaho now #1
Move to Idaho now #2
Move to Idaho now #3
Move to Idaho now #4
Move to Idaho now #5
Move to Idaho now #6
Move to Idaho now #7 - Silver Mountain, my favorite ski area
Move to Idaho now #8
Move to Idaho now #9
Move to Idaho now #10
Move to Idaho now #11
Move to Idaho now #12
Move to Idaho now #13
Move to Idaho now #14
Move to Idaho now #15 - must be a Californian putting up that house
Move to Idaho now #16
Move to Idaho now #17
Move to Idaho now #18
Move to Idaho now #19
Move to Idaho now #20
The Spokane Valley ....no state income tax, and good proximity to parts of the Panhandle.....CDA, Sandpoint, Oldtown, Spirit Lake, etc.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:

Reply #2.

Colorado might be the game changer for Wyoming. As the cost of living rises in Colorado's Front Range region, some people are starting to move to Wyoming, specifically Cheyenne. Cheyenne is growing partly due to Coloradoans moving to Wyoming's capital/largest city. This could be a factor in turning Wyoming purple.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:23 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,371,544 times
No state actually wants Californians.

Maybe New York but even Californians don't want to move there. They are slowly ruining Arizona.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:29 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
There’s literally nothing they can do to stop people from moving in and buying. Change sucks, and this is one they have no say it. Guess they shouldn’t sell their homes, but obviously enough are for enough to be moving there.
That's it exactly.
No one who wants to sell a house is complaining in Boise. No businesses are complaining about all that extra money coming in either.

I'm a lifelong Idahoan, and I've watched this this impulse to move west come and go all my life.
It's not isolated to Idaho; Idaho is only the latest Glamor Girl of the western states.

There is always one Glamor Girl state that's the place to move to when this impulse arises. 20 years ago, Oregon was the Glamor Girl. 30 years ago, it was Montana. 40 years ago, Colorado was the Glamor Girl.
In all of them there is always one city that's the most golden of all, but the glamor tarnishes more quickly for the cities than for the state.
30 years ago, Boise wasn't the golden city here. Coeur d'Alene was. 70 years ago, Pocatello was the golden city in the state.

And 60 years ago, California was the biggest Glamor Girl of them all by far.
A lot of the kids who were just older than me, and a lot of those my age I grew up with, wanted to move to California with the same intensity the Californians now want to move here. A lot of them did leave Idaho and became permanent Californians.

Every single one of these sudden growth spurts always brings the same complaints, but the complaints never stop the growth or kill the desire to move to the Glamor Girl.

What happens next is always the same too. The reasons why people want to move west are not, and are never, strictly economic.
Economics is always a part, but so are the romantic notions of striking out to the Golden West to stake your claim, or the current notion of living off the grid, or getting away from the press of humanity, or even the desire to hunt elk instead of moose. There are a hundred different reasons, some desperate, some logical, some necessary, and some completely ridiculous.

What always happens in these surges that's always under-considered is how many folks who move away end up going back to where they came from. Once the romance wears off, a lot of folks find they miss their old homes, families and friends, and their new place ain't as nifty as they thought it would be.

What happens after they show up and stay is always the same too. The golden city changes, but the state doesn't change very much. It takes a lot to make the state change. But in time, the new place becomes pretty similar to the place those newcomers left.

Why? Because no one ever brings anything more than what they have when they packed up.

When they arrive, all they have are the same ways of living they had in the other state, and they all have the same expectations of life they had living where they lived. They come expecting to find what they already know, and that's what they will want.

So ultimately, those expectations are either met or not. When their numbers are large enough in a short time frame, I've watched cities radically change in just a few years. Sometimes to the good, sometimes to the bad.

But all the states out here are large. Most often, the changes that come to a single city don't ever change all the other cities very much. It takes a lot of immigration and time to change an entire state.

That never means things like the minimum wage will suddenly go up, or housing will suddenly become any more affordable for the poor man.

In the most beautiful places, life is often the hardest because no one can eat the scenery, and the rugged beauty out here always makes for more difficult living.

What it can mean is a man who has always been poor all his life, struggling on, trying to keep what little he got from his Daddy, who was always poor too, is suddenly wealthy selling off the old farmstead that never amounted to much in the first place.

That guy is going to either spend all that money right there and stay put. It's all he knows, and now, he can live in comfort for the first time.

Or he will move away to his own Glamor Girl state instead and spend it there. It's the place he always wanted to live.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
No state actually wants Californians.

Maybe New York but even Californians don't want to move there. They are slowly ruining Arizona.
Well there is nothing you can do about that. No law says "No Californians allowed". No such law is allowed. And I've never been to Arizona. This is the deal. I will decide what is beneficial to me. What you might think of as Arizona being ruined, I wouldn't have any problems. I'm not pro-California, but this "I hate Californians" crap is getting old and it's stupid.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:35 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,435,284 times
LA Times had a article on this last Sunday, to cold for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies