Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 11:23 AM

39,870 posts, read 26,514,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Cisgender has absolutely nothing to do with sexual orientation. Cis =/= straight.

If you're going to complain about it, maybe know what you're complaining about? Hope that helps.
Then what does it mean? Numbnuts make up terms and don't feel the need to define them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2019, 11:38 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Cisgendered does not mean straight. It means that you agree with the gender you were assigned at birth.
No one is "assigned" anything at birth. The vast majority of people are born either male or female (with intersex conditions being very rare), which is easily visible/distinguishable at or before birth and coded in our DNA, and sex is something that can never change, no matter how much people push the idea of a fluid and totally subjective "gender," aka how they "feel."

Old 11-16-2019, 11:42 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Cisgendered does not mean straight. It means that you agree with the gender you were assigned at birth.
I never knew - thanks for the clarification. Seems like 95% of the 99.3% cisgender people didn't know.

Old 11-16-2019, 11:44 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I never knew - thanks for the clarification. Seems like 95% of the 99.3% cisgender people didn't know.
Straight generally refers to sexuality and the fact that one is sexually attracted to the opposite sex.

Cisgender means that you accept and identify with your biological gender in terms of your gender identity.

I can see a distinction between those.

I am cisgender because I was born a male and I accept that and identify myself as a male. However I am not straight since I am generally sexually attracted to other males more so than females.

Old 11-16-2019, 11:45 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Then what does it mean? Numbnuts make up terms and don't feel the need to define them.

Cisgender has been defined multiple times in this thread and is easily Google-able. It means someone who was assigned the gender they present as at birth. It can be seen as the opposite of transgender, as well as identifies someone who was not born intersex.

I believe the TOS of City Data states you must be at least 13 to post here. Certainly no one beyond elementary school uses "numbnuts." Bless your heart.

Old 11-16-2019, 11:46 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
You don't get assigned a gender. You are either male or female. It's not a social construct no matter how much whining and wailing you do.
Gender roles are social constructs, but sex is not. Sex cannot change. Gender is a largely meaningless word imo if it is based on feelings. Many trans people imo seem to not like being confined to gender roles and seem to want to be the opposite "gender" (sex) because they feel more comfortable expressing themselves in a way that is not as socially acceptable for their sex.

To elaborate, men should be able to be "feminine" without being called women or wanting to be called women, women should be able to be "masculine" without being called men or wanting to be called men. Men should be able to express themselves by wearing makeup without being made fun or or called sissies or anything else, etc.; people shouldn't care what others do or how they dress. But at the end of the day, sex is binary and cannot change. People cannot become anything else, they can only express themselves in different ways; it doesn't mean they really are the sex they claim they are (they'll call it gender, it's really sex). It doesn't mean they should have access to sex segregated spaces, as the sex the space is not intended for.

A bio man does not know what it "feels" like to be a woman. He cannot possibly know, because he is not one, and that will never change. And vice versa for bio women. Conflating sex and gender has done nothing but confuse people, and I'm almost positive that it was done on purpose.

For anyone who wants more on my views or ones like mine, look up gender critical feminism. Don't be scared by the word "feminism" conservatives, you'll be surprised how much you agree with, even if not for reasoning but in result.

For anyone doubting that gender roles are a social construct, that we've just made up rules, why is pink a girl color? Why are dolls girl toys and toy cars boy toys? Why can only girls wear dresses (in the past, it was normal for young boys to wear dresses btw) without it being weird? Same for makeup or nail polish? What real harm is done if any of these things change? Why do some people make fun of others for wanting to break these norms? Why not just let people live their lives, express themselves how they want (imo though, without going a step further and claiming they are someone they are not - the other sex - and demanding access to all the other sex has)?

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 11-16-2019 at 12:01 PM..

Old 11-16-2019, 12:00 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
I'm sorry, but I didn't 'pick' a gender, and no one picked one for me. It's not an 'assignment'. Neither were my 2 eyes, 10 fingers, and 10 toes considered to be 'assignments'.

People who don't care for their gender and switch it out for something else are getting 'assignments'; all the rest of us are going with what nature gave us. We are natural gender, if it means that much to anyone of us to bother with mentally dissecting ourselves THAT much.

No one puts in a record of birth that the parents will get back to them with a name and what gender they want assigned.
I don't get why there are people who say one is assigned a gender at birth outside of using to justify the idea of gender fluidity.

Old 11-16-2019, 12:19 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
I don't get why there are people who say one is assigned a gender at birth outside of using to justify the idea of gender fluidity.
Because that's what actually happens in society. From Wiki:

Sex assignment (sometimes known as gender assignment) is the determination of an infant's sex at birth. In the majority of births, a relative, midwife, nurse or physician inspects the genitalia when the baby is delivered, and sex and gender are assigned, without the expectation of ambiguity. Assignment may also be done prior to birth through prenatal sex discernment.

Sex assignment at birth usually aligns with a child's anatomical sex and phenotype. The number of births where the baby does not fit into strict definitions of male and female amount to roughly 0.06%, of which 0.02% are due to visibly ambiguous genitals. Other reasons include atypical chromosomes, gonads, or hormones. These conditions are collectively called intersex, and may complicate sex assignment. Reinforcing sex assignments through surgical or hormonal interventions may violate the individual's human rights.

The act of assignment carries the implicit expectation that future gender identity will develop in alignment with the physical anatomy, assignment, and rearing. In the majority of cases, sex assignment matches the child's gender identity. If sex assignment and gender identity do not align, the person may be transgender or gender non-conforming (GNC). The sex assignment of an intersex individual may also contradict their future gender identity.

Old 11-16-2019, 12:19 PM

23,976 posts, read 15,086,618 times
We have no clue where what we are dumping in our sewer systems ends up. All the medications are being consumed by the folks downstream. Do your water treatment and sewer systems spend the money needed to get all the medications out of the water? How much birth control pills and erectile dysfunction medications end up in somebodies shower or clothes washing water, let alone their drinking water? Nobody knows what that does to people who will be carrying babies. Or to their fetuses. Now factor in all the plastics that our food comes in. Some of chemical are known hormone disrupters.

IMO, Madison Avenue has had much to do with gender identification in the last 3 generations. Advertising to kids is serious business. There may be some backlash to that girls love pink and purple crap they sell.

Now factor in the current movement to be who you really are. People no longer have to hide from the rest of us for social acceptance.

Old 11-16-2019, 12:28 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgenerse View Post
We already had the term "straight" which means the same thing, so why make up another redundant term such as "cisgendered"? Anyone know?
So you have decided we can ony have one word that can mean something in spite of the English language having many words that mean the same thing. I wonder why this word out of all of the others triggers you so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies