Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2019, 05:58 PM

35,081 posts, read 17,033,734 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what "cisgender" means?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 06:01 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Does anyone know what "cisgender" means?
Cisgender has its origin in the Latin-derived prefix cis-, meaning "on this side of", which is the opposite of trans-, meaning "across from" or "on the other side of". This usage can be seen in the cis–trans distinction in chemistry, the cis–trans or complementation test in genetics... In the case of gender, cis- describes the alignment of gender identity with assigned sex.

Old 11-17-2019, 06:21 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Cisgender has its origin in the Latin-derived prefix cis-, meaning "on this side of", which is the opposite of trans-, meaning "across from" or "on the other side of". This usage can be seen in the cis–trans distinction in chemistry, the cis–trans or complementation test in genetics... In the case of gender, cis- describes the alignment of gender identity with assigned sex.
Assigned sex?

No, you are not assigned a sex, you ARE a sex. Are you an XY individual or an XX? (and yes, I am aware of the minuscule number of anomalies that exist, which have nothing to do with transgenderism)

Old 11-17-2019, 06:34 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Assigned sex?

No, you are not assigned a sex, you ARE a sex. Are you an XY individual or an XX? (and yes, I am aware of the minuscule number of anomalies that exist, which have nothing to do with transgenderism)
No, many people, parents, doctors, etc. assign sex based upon genital expression. Where the hell have you been!

Who said transgenderism has to do with Karyo types? Transgender is a person who does not align how they psychologically feel, gender identity, with their biological gender or gender/sex assignment or expression. Biological sex is not just about karyo types but also genitalia development and hormonal issues.

Old 11-17-2019, 06:36 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,216,690 times
What better way to change "normal" into "abnormal"?

Old 11-17-2019, 06:39 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
What better way to change "normal" into "abnormal"?

Old 11-17-2019, 06:46 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Wow, I didn't know it was that old.

I figured it's slang because lord knows vocabulary is poor these day and many people would get heterosexual mixed up with homosexual.

Personally I would never us it or "straight" either. Straight can mean too many things. Jesus freaks were called "straight edges" in the last generation.

I like "heterosexual" myself.

Calling someone "straight" is a false narrative. It means nothing at all, other than being normal. It is not an identity, except in the mind of someone who is otherwise.

Old 11-17-2019, 09:58 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
No, many people, parents, doctors, etc. assign sex based upon genital expression. Where the hell have you been!

Who said transgenderism has to do with Karyo types? Transgender is a person who does not align how they psychologically feel, gender identity, with their biological gender or gender/sex assignment or expression. Biological sex is not just about karyo types but also genitalia development and hormonal issues.
An XY person is never an XX person. Ever. Simple science.

Transgenderism is a psychological phenomenon. Do not attempt to make it anything else, because is not. And don't even begin to suggest that this is about human rights, because it is not.

All humans have the same rights and should be treated that way. But don't try and throw "sex assignment" language into the mix, as all that is an attempt to redefine words.

If you were born with a penis and have XY chromosomes, you ARE a male. What your psychological makeup is has nothing to do with that reality.

Old 11-17-2019, 10:30 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Interesting... pretty sure that isn't what gender studies types mean when they use the word but I'm not surprised if it has taken on that meaning in popular culture.
Honest question. I am a 27 year old LGBT college grad Democrat and to this day, I have never met a single genders studies student or grad.

Where are all you conservatives finding these people and claiming to know them so well ?

I genuinely dont believe any of you have this broad of friend groups when I see your posts on this site, or you are mousy in reality and never voice these same opinions in their presence.

Old 11-17-2019, 11:47 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
An XY person is never an XX person. Ever. Simple science.
Who was saying otherwise?

Quote:
Transgenderism is a psychological phenomenon. Do not attempt to make it anything else, because is not. And don't even begin to suggest that this is about human rights, because it is not.
Again, who said it was not about psychological phenomenon? That's exactly what gender identity (cisgender and transgender are referring). Did you not read what I said:

Quote:
Transgender is a person who does not align how they psychologically feel, gender identity, with their biological gender or gender/sex assignment or expression.

And who mentioned human rights?

Quote:
All humans have the same rights and should be treated that way. But don't try and throw "sex assignment" language into the mix, as all that is an attempt to redefine words.
What are you even talking about? Words are coined or redefined given new understanding all the time. Are you the word police? Or do you think definitions fall out of the sky, as if they are prescriptive correlations to the Platonic realm, governed by earthly ignoramuses with ancient religious and bias worldviews?

Quote:
If you were born with a penis and have XY chromosomes, you ARE a male. What your psychological makeup is has nothing to do with that reality.
Again, you are confusing the psychological with the physical reality. Try rereading my posts and you will see I have done no such thing. Transgender people don't deny that they are born physically with certain genitalia or a certain karyo type - they claim that they psychologically do not align with that reality.

Please pay attention and stop your strawmen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies