Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe race relations are getting worse and we are moving toward racial separatism?
Yes 99 43.42%
No 129 56.58%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 11:50 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
No they're not.
Yes, they are. Your ignorance in economics is showing. Protectionism and mercantilism are economically ignorant positions.

I suggest googling Triffin Dilemma.

Wouldn’t hurt to read up on Ricardo’s theory of comparative advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2019, 11:52 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yes, they are. Your ignorance in economics is showing. Protectionism and mercantilism are economically ignorant positions.
It works good for China and Japan.

Old 12-16-2019, 11:54 AM

52,282 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Wars and riots show it's not nonsense, it's the real world not "can we all just get along" nonsense. People are mostly kind in public places, as it should be. The majority of people and ways of living remain separated according to race, as it should to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
No, not really. I disagree and will leave it at that.
We'll definitely leave it at that. What you wrote was disgusting.

Old 12-16-2019, 12:29 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Kind of like how whites invented and exclusively played basketball, baseball and football, huh? And now they are over-represented in those gifts to civilization.
Let’s get some things straight here Playboy...

That poster claimed that whites would be in danger if they patronized a black juke. That’s a lie. Why didn’t you call that one out instead of unsuccessfully trying to check me? Whites have ALWAYS frequented black jukes. Heard anything about any violence perpetrated against whites at a juke?

Yeah...that’s what I thought.

And if you wanna take your sports analogy to an even further logical extension, I’ll help you out just to show you how pathetic your attempt at belittling blacks really is...

All you had to say was blacks perfected and invented musical styles using not only instruments invented by whites, but by using musical theories invented by whites. But no, you decided to stick a quarter in a rear facing body orifice and play yourself by talking some nonsense about SPORTS invented by white men and present it to me as if it’s a “gift” to civilization when you actually meant that they were a gift to the black man. LMAO...laughable, when they were invented in the first place as gifts to white people who were so downtrodden that they needed a diversion from their misery. Whites have NEVER given blacks any “gifts.” Those sports merely trickled down to us the way any any cultural phenomenon trickles down and out over a population.

As to us being over represented in those “gifts,” well whose fault is that? We both know that it’s no coincidence that whites tried like hell to keep those sports to themselves as long as they could, and we both know why.

Of course, you speciously bringing sports into the conversation is revelatory. Once you mentioned that blacks were over represented, you showed your hand. Wasn’t even necessary to mention that, but your resentment over that over representation just oozes out of that post, and it made me do a belly laugh!!

Amazing how just letting you guys talk long enough always reveals the underlying anger and resentment you guys have. But I don’t mind it. In fact, I love it. If we were face to face, I’d do everything I could to rub it in even more.

Thing is, I don’t know if you were looking for a “thanks” on the sports thing or not. But we don’t owe you anything. Black folks have given plenty to this country, including centuries of free labor that helped build this country. I’m supposed to be grateful that you invented Football? LMAO...perish the thought!!

Old 12-16-2019, 12:30 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It works good for China and Japan.
Rep point. That’s one thing that I kinda actually agree with Trump on.

Old 12-16-2019, 02:36 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Let’s get some things straight here Playboy...

That poster claimed that whites would be in danger if they patronized a black juke. That’s a lie. Why didn’t you call that one out instead of unsuccessfully trying to check me? Whites have ALWAYS frequented black jukes. Heard anything about any violence perpetrated against whites at a juke?

Yeah...that’s what I thought.

And if you wanna take your sports analogy to an even further logical extension, I’ll help you out just to show you how pathetic your attempt at belittling blacks really is...

All you had to say was blacks perfected and invented musical styles using not only instruments invented by whites, but by using musical theories invented by whites. But no, you decided to stick a quarter in a rear facing body orifice and play yourself by talking some nonsense about SPORTS invented by white men and present it to me as if it’s a “gift” to civilization when you actually meant that they were a gift to the black man. LMAO...laughable, when they were invented in the first place as gifts to white people who were so downtrodden that they needed a diversion from their misery. Whites have NEVER given blacks any “gifts.” Those sports merely trickled down to us the way any any cultural phenomenon trickles down and out over a population.

As to us being over represented in those “gifts,” well whose fault is that? We both know that it’s no coincidence that whites tried like hell to keep those sports to themselves as long as they could, and we both know why.

Of course, you speciously bringing sports into the conversation is revelatory. Once you mentioned that blacks were over represented, you showed your hand. Wasn’t even necessary to mention that, but your resentment over that over representation just oozes out of that post, and it made me do a belly laugh!!

Amazing how just letting you guys talk long enough always reveals the underlying anger and resentment you guys have. But I don’t mind it. In fact, I love it. If we were face to face, I’d do everything I could to rub it in even more.

Thing is, I don’t know if you were looking for a “thanks” on the sports thing or not. But we don’t owe you anything. Black folks have given plenty to this country, including centuries of free labor that helped build this country. I’m supposed to be grateful that you invented Football? LMAO...perish the thought!!
One thing some bigots do not want to recognize is that many Black people have a history of innovating things. Jazz and blues have alot of Black American influences. Country music, a genre associated exclusively with Whites, has been influenced by Blacks.

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/a...or-overstated/

Many of the sports that were invented, they weren't intended for Black Americans to use, especially baseball. There were many who tried hard to keep Blacks out of Major League Baseball. Hawaiians and Mexicans could play in MLB while Blacks were kept out. Native American Jim Thorpe played in the MLB at a time when Blacks were kept out. Black people started the Negro Leagues because they weren't allowed in MLB from 1889 until 1947. Look up how Moses Fleetwood Walker, one the first Black men ever to play in MLB, was chased out of MLB because the other players didn't want a Black man in MLB.

Whatever Blacks gained, it was because they fought back or had to get it for themselves. Some people resent that Blacks are making themselves part of this country. Historically, it was never meant for Blacks to be part of American society. In the Jim Crow South it was codified into law. In other places, some towns banned Blacks from living there.

Black Americans provided alot to this country, often under duress, often in situations when they shouldn't have. Alot of wealth in this country was due to the labor of Black slaves, who got never benefited from it. The cotton, sugar cane, and tobacco made the planters wealthy. It made mill owners wealthy because they got the raw materials from the plantations. The slaves didn't have any say. When slavery was over, there was alot of backlash against Blacks. Eventually, Jim Crow laws were passed throughout the South. Later on, as many Blacks moved away from the South, some towns passed prohibiting Blacks from buying property or even living in those towns.

Example: Percival L. Julian, African-American chemist, was a major pioneer in synthesizing medicinal drugs from plants. He found a way to synthesize cortisone, from the Mexican yam. When he went to college at DePauw University in Greencastle, Indiana, he couldn't stay in the dorms, thanks to the segregation in that town during the late 1910s. He went on to graduate from DePauw, as a valedictorian. He earned his PhD at University of Vienna. As a Black man, Julian had more freedom in Austria, a country he wasn't born in nor was German his native language, than he did in America, the country of his birth and he's as American as anyone else. He applied for a job in Appleton,WI. It was for the Institute of Paper Chemistry. He couldn't take the job because at the time, there was a law stating that Blacks were not allowed to be in Appleton after sundown. One of America's great chemists and he couldn't get housing in some areas of the country. He was treated better in another country than he was in his own.

And about juke joints. I have never been to one. I've only seen them in films.

Old 12-16-2019, 02:45 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Whatever Blacks gained, it was because they fought back or had to get it for themselves. Some people resent that Blacks are making themselves part of this country. Historically, it was never meant for Blacks to be part of American society. In the Jim Crow South it was codified into law. In other places, some towns banned Blacks from living there.

Black Americans provided alot to this country, often under duress, often in situations when they shouldn't have. Alot of wealth in this country was due to the labor of Black slaves, who got never benefited from it. The cotton, sugar cane, and tobacco made the planters wealthy. It made mill owners wealthy because they got the raw materials from the plantations. The slaves didn't have any say. When slavery was over, there was alot of backlash against Blacks. Eventually, Jim Crow laws were passed throughout the South. Later on, as many Blacks moved away from the South, some towns passed prohibiting Blacks from buying property or even living in those towns.

He couldn't take the job because at the time, there was a law stating that Blacks were not allowed to be in Appleton after sundown. One of America's great chemists and he couldn't get housing in some areas of the country. He was treated better in another country than he was in his own.
You may want to read the book, Sundown Towns: A Hidden Dimension of American Racism, by James W. Loewen - which describes the history of many communities in America that made it explicitly unwelcome to African Americans to live there. Many of them were not in the Deep South, but up North or in the Midwest. Heck, one was here in the Bay Area - San Leandro, California.

Old 12-16-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
You may want to read the book, Sundown Towns: A Hidden Dimension of American Racism, by James W. Loewen - which describes the history of many communities in America that made it explicitly unwelcome to African Americans to live there. Many of them were not in the Deep South, but up North or in the Midwest. Heck, one was here in the Bay Area - San Leandro, California.
I've heard of that book. It's part of how I heard about Appleton's not so nice history. The irony is this. I've seldom met a Wisconsin native that I didn't like. In fact, one of the nicest persons I've ever met from WI was from Appleton (suburban Atlanta is home to a Kimberly Clark facility, and so is Appleton, many Wisconsinites from the Fox River area live in the Atlanta area).

Enough about that. I'm aware of the sundown towns that existed throughout America. They were up north, the midwest, the south, and parts of the west. There were parts of New York City where a Black man would frequently be denied housing. Same goes for many areas of Pennsylvania, especially in some of the coal patch towns of Northeast Pennsylvania.

I moved to Alabama a few months back. There is a town called Cullman. Even today, in 2019, I've been told "if you're Black, do not go to Cullman". Strangely, it's one of Alabama's fastest growing communities. In Georgia, there was a county that chased out its Black population, Forsyth County. No Black person dared live there until the 1980s. There is another Alabama town that basically kept Blacks out, Arab,AL. As late as 1990, there was a sign telling Blacks not to stay in Arab after dark.

Old 12-16-2019, 03:39 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm aware of the sundown towns that existed throughout America. They were up north, the midwest, the south, and parts of the west. There were parts of New York City where a Black man would frequently be denied housing. Same goes for many areas of Pennsylvania, especially in some of the coal patch towns of Northeast Pennsylvania.

I moved to Alabama a few months back. There is a town called Cullman. Even today, in 2019, I've been told "if you're Black, do not go to Cullman". Strangely, it's one of Alabama's fastest growing communities. In Georgia, there was a county that chased out its Black population, Forsyth County. No Black person dared live there until the 1980s. There is another Alabama town that basically kept Blacks out, Arab,AL. As late as 1990, there was a sign telling Blacks not to stay in Arab after dark.
Yessiree, sadly.

Anna, Ohio was a notorious sundown town, that still has to live down its reputation (some say that A-N-N-A stood for Any N____ Not Allowed) even today. Very few Black people live there today (from the legacy of its history, no doubt). Currently it's the home of an engine manufacturing facility for Honda Motors.

And as I've mentioned, San Leandro, CA (about 45 minutes from my home) - had made it a practice to exclude black people (it borders Oakland, CA) through collaboration with the government, real estate industry, and retailers for years and years up until the late 1960s. Fortunately San Leandro is one of the most diverse ethnically communities in the SF Bay Area today.

Old 12-16-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Yessiree, sadly.

Anna, Ohio was a notorious sundown town, that still has to live down its reputation (some say that A-N-N-A stood for Any N____ Not Allowed) even today. Very few Black people live there today (from the legacy of its history, no doubt). Currently it's the home of an engine manufacturing facility for Honda Motors.

And as I've mentioned, San Leandro, CA (about 45 minutes from my home) - had made it a practice to exclude black people (it borders Oakland, CA) through collaboration with the government, real estate industry, and retailers for years and years up until the late 1960s. Fortunately San Leandro is one of the most diverse ethnically communities in the SF Bay Area today.
Anna isn't the only town with that reputation. Waverly,OH is another Ohio town with that reputation. The KKK ran that town for years.

Vidor, Texas was a sundown. Even today, very few Blacks live there. To give how much of a sundown town it has been, consider where it's located. Beaumont (41% Black) and Port Arthur (47% Black) are nearby. Vidor is 0.1% Black. Interestingly, it's 5.1% Hispanic. Either way, Blacks basically have stayed away from Vidor. I mention Vidor because you mentioned San Leandro being so close to Oakland. San Leandro has gotten better in terms of people of all ethnicities being able to live there. Vidor, Cullman, Arab, not so much.

Greensburg,Indiana was also a sundown town. Blacks were literally expelled from Greensburg after race riots were waged against them in 1906 and 1907. Today the town is about 0.4% Black (it was 0.04% Black in 2000). Like Anna,OH, Greensburg is home to a Honda plant. Honda Civics are produced there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies