Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 01:06 PM

9,376 posts, read 6,984,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Better agree about not all that long ago...

"This is not about politics. This is about the rule of law. Republicans and Democrats alike should defend it above all else.

In my nearly 96 years, I have seen our country rise above extraordinary challenges — the Great Depression, World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, segregation, assassinations, the resignation of a president and 9/11, to name just a few.

I continue to believe in and pray for the ability of all Americans to overcome our differences and pursue the common good. Order protects liberty, and liberty protects order."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/16/o...stigation.html

William Webster, a former federal judge, was director of the F.B.I. from 1978 to 1987, and director of the C.I.A. from 1987 to 1991.

"The rule of law is the bedrock of American democracy, the principle that protects every American from the abuse of monarchs, despots and tyrants. Every American should demand that our leaders put the rule of law above politics."

Is this not still true today?!? Seems we are demanding something else entirely lately. To many of us anyway...
Agreed I don't pray but I still believe in 1 America... I also share a definition of what the American dream is and can be which is defined by our working spirit. To strive to make a world where our children have better lives that we will. I do see these shared beliefs fading and no longer see concern for future generations being had across the populus. In fact we have turned into the what about me generation with little to no regard for carrying our own weight and the ramifications of what our choices mean on the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 01:21 PM

5,209 posts, read 4,674,581 times
We should all agree American exceptionalism is dead, if it ever existed.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:21 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Agreed I don't pray but I still believe in 1 America... I also share a definition of what the American dream is and can be which is defined by our working spirit. To strive to make a world where our children have better lives that we will. I do see these shared beliefs fading and no longer see concern for future generations being had across the populus. In fact we have turned into the what about me generation with little to no regard for carrying our own weight and the ramifications of what our choices mean on the future.
Hard not to feel more than just a little disappointed at how our government seems to function as of late, or not function, but I see signs of hope in the younger generation that seems a little more demanding of positive change and a little less tolerant of all the entrenched special interests mostly intent on maintaining the status quo that keeps America from making the progress it can and should.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
We should all agree American exceptionalism is dead, if it ever existed.
Oh! We're still plenty exceptional a country today but unfortunately not in as many ways we can feel good about...

Old 12-19-2019, 03:13 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,013,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
That would suggest that immigrants (legal or illegal) are problem #1 for America, and that is simply not the case even if some Americans seem to lean in that sort of xenophobic direction, but who can argue against improvement -- and enforcement -- of any laws? Maybe it's the American employers we need to be holding more accountable instead of demonizing forners...
Do you want 'rule of law' or not? The 'sanctuary city' policies are a prime example of flouting of rule of law. There are actually tons of other examples.

For example, in Washington State we have legalized marijuana even though it remains illegal under federal law. Our Governor Inslee and Atty. Gen Eric Holder signed a letter of agreement to turn a blind eye to federal law. We last year passed an assault weapon restriction. A bunch of rural county sheriffs have vowed not to enforce the law, which they believe is unconstitutional.

Once you jettison rule of law on the grounds that something is not "problem #1," you have opened pandora's box.

Old 12-20-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Do you want 'rule of law' or not? The 'sanctuary city' policies are a prime example of flouting of rule of law. There are actually tons of other examples.

For example, in Washington State we have legalized marijuana even though it remains illegal under federal law. Our Governor Inslee and Atty. Gen Eric Holder signed a letter of agreement to turn a blind eye to federal law. We last year passed an assault weapon restriction. A bunch of rural county sheriffs have vowed not to enforce the law, which they believe is unconstitutional.

Once you jettison rule of law on the grounds that something is not "problem #1," you have opened pandora's box.
Hard to untangle this sort of reason and logic, but I did not jettison the rule of law. Quite the opposite if you bother to read the opening of this thread, and article. I simply explained that illegal aliens were not #1 problem for American, and I made no mention of sanctuary cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies