Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 09:38 PM

1,417 posts, read 735,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Better agree about not all that long ago...

"This is not about politics. This is about the rule of law. Republicans and Democrats alike should defend it above all else.

In my nearly 96 years, I have seen our country rise above extraordinary challenges — the Great Depression, World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, segregation, assassinations, the resignation of a president and 9/11, to name just a few.

I continue to believe in and pray for the ability of all Americans to overcome our differences and pursue the common good. Order protects liberty, and liberty protects order."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/16/o...stigation.html

William Webster, a former federal judge, was director of the F.B.I. from 1978 to 1987, and director of the C.I.A. from 1987 to 1991.

"The rule of law is the bedrock of American democracy, the principle that protects every American from the abuse of monarchs, despots and tyrants. Every American should demand that our leaders put the rule of law above politics."

Is this not still true today?!? Seems we are demanding something else entirely lately. To many of us anyway...
I agree that the rule of law is our rosetta stone, but the truth is, we now live in lawless society that no longer has equal application of the law. We definitely have a multi-tiered justice system where the rich and powerful have one set of rules, those who are connected to government have yet another set of rules applied to them, and those who are members of artificially created victim groups have special immunity and privileges. Then there are the rest of us.

Up until recently, I always cooperated with law enforcement and government, but not any longer. I no longer respect the rule of law, for there no longer is justice for those who play by the rules. I will not be a apparatchik of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 12:17 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
We can start with fining Trump for his golf clubs hiring illegal workers and hiding the fact a year into his presidency.

I'm in favor of term limits, but Regan had no room to talk. Didn't he have Alzheimer's while in office? I know it was diagnosed 5 years after he left office and he most likely had it while serving. People in their late 70's need to retire from office. Heck you can't fly an airplane after a certain age, yet we have too many old people not in their prime running the greatest country in the world. Enough already.

Why respect the rule of law when you know you're not long for this planet? Just do what you want no matter how crooked.

When I hear McConnell say that Trump will not be removed from office because he will co-ordinate with the white house, and Lindsey Graham say that he doesn't pretend to be a fair juror? Yikes. That is not respect for the rule of law, nor their oath of office.

Regan was the Secretary of the Treasury and, during a different period, White House Chief of Staff.

Reagan was the POTUS.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:28 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,400,015 times
1. The article is a meandering fluff piece without a clear point. It reads more like a vague propaganda pamphlet that someone forgot to edit for clarity. It clearly relies on an appeal to athority and repetition of patriotic sounding words to justify its otherwise unclear justification for existence.

2. One can't undermine democracy through the release of information to the public. To assert as much undermines the concept of voter free agency to decide given all information. Voter free agency actually being the bedrock of democracy.

The other road leads to varying antidemocratic "the voters are tainted with BadInfo and are therefore invalid voters" and "all info that is not MyInfo is BadInfo" censorship and election control tactics. Its all un-American and anti-Democratic.

3. It has been clear to me for many years before the 2016 election that the "Press" intends to make sure that we not only do not overcome our differences, but that they are amplified to the point of a fatal social break.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:50 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,664,869 times
Looks to me like this thread is about someone's idea of how to hide behind the rule of law to justify trashing it with the political hit job of impeachment !!! Impeachment without a crime is nothing but a political disagreement !!!
The law is based on the constitution and the left wipes their butt on it every chance they get !!! That's what being a progressive is all about !!! They want to go beyond the constitution and make their own laws with total disregard to the existing ones !!! They view the constitution as flawed at inception and are perfectly willing to disregard any part of it they disagree with !!!

Old 12-18-2019, 03:45 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,275,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
These are alleged crimes and the evidence that warrants further investigation...

"President Donald Trump committed criminal bribery and wire fraud, the House Judiciary Committee alleges in a report that will accompany articles of impeachment this week."

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...-crimes-086096

What actually happened. What can be proven. Whether Trump will be impeached all remains to be learned and the rule of law cannot be ignored in such a case all considered. Simple as that for most thinking Americans anyway...

Interesting that Politico and the Leftists are not asking some pretty specific and simple questions.

Criminal Bribery is clearly a crime.
Criminal Wire Fraud is clearly a crime.

So..... Why is the House not using either one of these “crimes” as an Article of Impeachment?
Should be easy to prove. Nadler accuses President Trump of these “crimes”, says this is fact.

And yet ..... no charge. This kind of Nutty wouldn’t even make it into a movie or book.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:20 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
A former FBI and CIA (especially the CIA) official talking about the rule of law?

Jesus H. Christ. Is it it April Fool's Day?

Seriously. Two agencies that revel in their ability to exist and operate outside any bounds of the Constitution or rule of law whatsoever...giving moral sermons on why that is necessary to maintain the rule of law?

It's equivalent to Trump sermonizing on good etiquette or Clinton sermonizing on how to be a proper gentleman.

Anyone in the CIA, FBI, NSA, or IRS has lost the right to even say the phrase "rule of law" out loud without following it immediately with "just kidding."

Old 12-18-2019, 10:34 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The FBI is a corrupt bureaucracy. Period.

That said, it is an agency within the Executive Branch, and therefore, all FBI personnel ultimately serve at the whim of the President. When Clinton dismissed Sessions, as was his Presidential prerogative, did that bug you as much as Trump dismissing Comey and possibly Wray, which is his Presidential prerogative?

When Clinton had Reno fire every single US Attorney from the GHWB admin to fully reset the DoJ under his new admin, as was his Presidential prerogative, did that bug you?

Can you not accept that the President is the big boss of the ENTIRE Executive branch and all the agencies therein? Or does it only bug you when it is a Republican in that office?

The FBI is not independent. It is an agency that is part of the Executive Branch, and therefore, works on behalf of and at the direction of....you guessed it...the President of the United States. You do get that, yes?
Again you can't seem to think in anything but heavily slanted partisan terms...

Of course dismissing the director of the FBI is the prerogative of the POTUS. Are you thinking you are explaining anything I don't know here? It isn't that prerogative I have any problem with or the use of that power. What bugs me is when the use of that power has more to do with self over country. When what the POTUS does seems to be an abuse of that power rather than a question of righting what is wrong. I've got no problem with that sword cutting both ways either, regardless which party is doing wrong or getting cut.

"However, Sessions’ ethics came into question just before then-President-elect Bill Clinton was inaugurated. Sessions was accused of improperly using an FBI plane to visit his family as well as reportedly installing a security fence around his home on the government’s dime. A Justice Department report found that Sessions had avoided paying taxes on the use of his FBI limousine for his daily commute."

Comey wasn't perfect either, but there is a significant difference between what Sessions did, for example, and all that seems to cause the revolving door of hires and fires by Trump. Anyone looking at these facts objectively should agree with whatever house cleaning is appropriate, for country, up to and including White House cleaning if and when also appropriate. Regardless which party occupies!

Old 12-18-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
A former FBI and CIA (especially the CIA) official talking about the rule of law?

Jesus H. Christ. Is it it April Fool's Day?

I know, right? That's like the Superintendent of Schools talking about education! Ludicrous!

Why doesn't everyone just listen to you I wonder...

Old 12-18-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAndrewJackson View Post
I agree that the rule of law is our rosetta stone, but the truth is, we now live in lawless society that no longer has equal application of the law. We definitely have a multi-tiered justice system where the rich and powerful have one set of rules, those who are connected to government have yet another set of rules applied to them, and those who are members of artificially created victim groups have special immunity and privileges. Then there are the rest of us.

Up until recently, I always cooperated with law enforcement and government, but not any longer. I no longer respect the rule of law, for there no longer is justice for those who play by the rules. I will not be a apparatchik of the state.
What a strange line of logic and reason...

Man has always been dealing with the challenge of "unequal application of the law." Read any history? The effort or goal over time has been to even the scales of justice but obviously we humans struggle with that challenge like we always have, especially as our society grows in numbers and complexity. Of course we always fall short, but there is no alternative but to continue that effort or we'll find ourselves dealing with even more/worse problems like other thug countries are dealing with.

I've had a bad experience or two with law enforcement too. Awful, but I've had plenty good experience as well. I've had bad teachers too, but also good ones. Bad mechanics but also good ones. On and on...

Either way, to throw all the good under the bus of bad is an awfully weird way to go about things if you ask me. It's the call to go backwards instead of forwards, worse rather than better, and I simply don't get that even though it's always frustrating to see where and how the bad tarnishes or undermines the good. We certainly don't need more backward thinking Americans in any case...

We've come a long way since our founding fathers gave us the constitution, and we'll always have a long way still to go.

Last edited by LearnMe; 12-18-2019 at 11:32 AM..

Old 12-18-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
1. The article is a meandering fluff piece without a clear point. It reads more like a vague propaganda pamphlet that someone forgot to edit for clarity. It clearly relies on an appeal to athority and repetition of patriotic sounding words to justify its otherwise unclear justification for existence.

2. One can't undermine democracy through the release of information to the public. To assert as much undermines the concept of voter free agency to decide given all information. Voter free agency actually being the bedrock of democracy.

The other road leads to varying antidemocratic "the voters are tainted with BadInfo and are therefore invalid voters" and "all info that is not MyInfo is BadInfo" censorship and election control tactics. Its all un-American and anti-Democratic.

3. It has been clear to me for many years before the 2016 election that the "Press" intends to make sure that we not only do not overcome our differences, but that they are amplified to the point of a fatal social break.
Confessing to #3 pretty well explains your #1 and #2 take on things, but again it seems the point of this thread is missed. Also how the article has produced the intended discussion about all we Americans should better agree upon. That media is the cause for the typical American discord doesn't make much sense either. If the media were actually the influence conservatives like to complain about...

Well I'll leave it at that because what I wrote further then decided to delete would have just been more of the same old tired partisan mud wrestling. I've been hoping and trying to keep this thread a little more mud free...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies