Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 11:03 AM

29,507 posts, read 14,668,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yeah....but there will be less assembly workers. Those jobs can be automated.
Many already are. And have created many other jobs. I've got friends that work at Fanuc and ABB and they are doing quite well. Again, manufacturing is much more than just assembly. We all have to grow with our careers and for those that don't , you end up on the street.

As far as automation goes...why did China end up with a growing middle class once we starting offshoring work there if it was all robots ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 12:41 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Many already are. And have created many other jobs. I've got friends that work at Fanuc and ABB and they are doing quite well. Again, manufacturing is much more than just assembly. We all have to grow with our careers and for those that don't , you end up on the street.

As far as automation goes...why did China end up with a growing middle class once we starting offshoring work there if it was all robots ?
Because some workers are cheaper than robotics upfront cost.

That is the other piece....cheap labor can compete with automation in manufacturing. Michigan used to be a state with top wages for workers, great benefits and the like. Not anymore. Now its wages are likely median or below median and many of the manufacturing work is low paying now, lots of temp workers with no benefits. Even the auto industry pay has been greatly reduced for new workers. Cheap labor can compete with automation....but not the wages of the past.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Because some workers are cheaper than robotics upfront cost.

That is the other piece....cheap labor can compete with automation in manufacturing. Michigan used to be a state with top wages for workers, great benefits and the like. Not anymore. Now its wages are likely median or below median and many of the manufacturing work is low paying now, lots of temp workers with no benefits. Even the auto industry pay has been greatly reduced for new workers. Cheap labor can compete with automation....but not the wages of the past.
Okay, so , like I said several posts back, automation isn't the issue....taking advantage of slave labor is.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:18 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Okay, so , like I said several posts back, automation isn't the issue....taking advantage of slave labor is.
It's not an either or situation. If you had slave labor you would not need automation. If you want to slow down the growth of automation you have to reduce wages. So....I guess you are right in general.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
It's not an either or situation. If you had slave labor you would not need automation. If you want to slow down the growth of automation you have to reduce wages. So....I guess you are right in general.
And it all comes back around to globalization and allowing companies to take advantage of low cost countries, both using labor for assembly and labor for design and engineering.
I wish we would have listened to Ross Perot. Actually, I wish we would have listened to W. Edwards Deming, had we done that it might have helped us stay ahead of the rest of the world.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:03 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:

Here the big boom for vehicle/auto industry was BT -- before Trump -- explain that oddity. Nothing new here.

Mean time oh look, wonder who will end up covering the extra costs to manufacturers/auto companies

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1YM294
Automakers to pay $3 billion in new U.S. tariffs under USMCA: budget estimate

Old 12-18-2019, 02:09 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
And it all comes back around to globalization and allowing companies to take advantage of low cost countries, both using labor for assembly and labor for design and engineering.
I wish we would have listened to Ross Perot. Actually, I wish we would have listened to W. Edwards Deming, had we done that it might have helped us stay ahead of the rest of the world.
We need to be innovative, trend setting, not part of the pack.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Here the big boom for vehicle/auto industry was BT -- before Trump -- explain that oddity. Nothing new here.

Mean time oh look, wonder who will end up covering the extra costs to manufacturers/auto companies

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1YM294
Automakers to pay $3 billion in new U.S. tariffs under USMCA: budget estimate
Why the need to bring Trump in ? Anyone with a shred of common sense knows this started over 30 years ago. As far as that new tariff....what's $3 billion out of a $545 billion dollar a year industry ? Start contenting more things on US soil and that tariff will reduce.

Many of the sales staff at suppliers that I know understand the reason for it.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:15 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,696,027 times
Hopefully the people who get jobs are smart with their money & save it.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
We need to be innovative, trend setting, not part of the pack.
You will have to elaborate much more than that. That generalization is quite vague.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies