Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 02:48 PM

25,754 posts, read 12,840,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
And it all comes back around to globalization and allowing companies to take advantage of low cost countries, both using labor for assembly and labor for design and engineering.
I wish we would have listened to Ross Perot. Actually, I wish we would have listened to W. Edwards Deming, had we done that it might have helped us stay ahead of the rest of the world.
I listened to, and voted for Ross Perot. I could not understand why he lost. He made so much sense to me at the time, and made difficult topics easy to follow. Perot was the 1st politician I followed.

Also, I've read all about Edward Deming in grad school. Amazing how American industry shunned him. I think the Six Sigma stuff that took the U.S. by storm in the 1990's was just Deming's ideas in a shinier package. Younger people think GE's Jack Welch invented process control. Welch just popularized it. Welch also tried to apply it to the service industry which he failed miserably at. I lived it for 3 years running a part of a GE Capital company. Today, I own a former GE Capital company, and we still use some of it.

I also lived in Dearborn Michigan for 5 years during the auto industry's decline. I was proud that Ford resisted taking Obama's stimulus cash, yet still survived. I'm glad Ford's still around, and just added 3,000 jobs there.

I recently saw the Ford & Ferari movie...loved it! I lived just 2 miles from Ford's big glass box corp HQ. I started working at age 12 caddying at Dearborn Country Club, and the Ford Motor execs provided a lot of encouragement to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 05:28 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,119,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
And that is why the U.S. auto manufacturing disappeared, that and low quality once Europe and Japan started producing good quality vehicles. I have an Uncle, now retired fortunately, who had one of those 70k Union Jobs and he would talk about getting together with his work friends at BBQ's and laughing about how much more they made than teachers or police and doing no real work for it.
Don't know about teachers but police where I'm make around 150k when you factor in OT, etc. I know a few who make above 200k. The unifying between police and Detroit autoworkers is unionization. Now fatcat CEOs are keeping that money instead of passing an extra 10k per employee. You think those CEOs, CFO, etc are doing any real work than an assembly worker isn't? They maybe a bit smarter and luckier - usually politically connected - but harder working they ain't.

I know back in the early 90s, someone working a bit of OT with a highschool diploma, could make 130k on some line in one of those auto companies in the Detroit area. Even in the 90s, during that spiral. Now I hear about 60k 30 years later, and I can't help but laugh. 130k in the 90s would be something like 255k today. You won't even get that working a high paid tech job in San Francisco. Food for thought.

Old 12-19-2019, 06:10 AM

29,505 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I listened to, and voted for Ross Perot. I could not understand why he lost. He made so much sense to me at the time, and made difficult topics easy to follow. Perot was the 1st politician I followed.

Also, I've read all about Edward Deming in grad school. Amazing how American industry shunned him. I think the Six Sigma stuff that took the U.S. by storm in the 1990's was just Deming's ideas in a shinier package. Younger people think GE's Jack Welch invented process control. Welch just popularized it. Welch also tried to apply it to the service industry which he failed miserably at. I lived it for 3 years running a part of a GE Capital company. Today, I own a former GE Capital company, and we still use some of it.

I also lived in Dearborn Michigan for 5 years during the auto industry's decline. I was proud that Ford resisted taking Obama's stimulus cash, yet still survived. I'm glad Ford's still around, and just added 3,000 jobs there.

I recently saw the Ford & Ferari movie...loved it! I lived just 2 miles from Ford's big glass box corp HQ. I started working at age 12 caddying at Dearborn Country Club, and the Ford Motor execs provided a lot of encouragement to me.
Great reply. I agree with you on the Six Sigma thing. I have to say, I'm definitely not a fan of Welch, he pioneered the practice of offshoring. I'm sure shareholders loved him.

Old 12-19-2019, 06:12 AM

20,115 posts, read 9,032,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Slave labor doesn't count ...
hard to believe people walked in and applied for low wage jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies