Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2019, 02:23 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Yes, however, going forward, I'm not against some type of certification to be able to adopt a larger dog, no matter the breed. All dogs can attack, all sizes of dogs, even that 4lb Pomeranian talked about earlier, have killed people. However, unless you're an infant or tiny toddler, it's pretty easy to kick the crap out of a small dog if it decides it wants to attack you. (Disclaimer: I do NOT advocate people hurting animals unless, and only unless, said dog is attacking someone.)

Any trainer (ie: not the morons at PetCo classes) will tell you that you can have a dog, you can have 2 dogs, but if you get 3 dogs, you've just created a dog pack.

If you don't have a clue what you're doing, don't get 3 dogs. The fact that the majority of people don't have a clue about dogs means that pretty much no one should have more than 2. And those who do know anything about dogs would either a) not get 3 or more or b) use them as working dogs - which means they tend to have a much deeper knowledge about dogs than the majority of people, and know how to handle that many dogs.

Edit: As for your comment to retired cop, no dog should ever be left alone with a child, not even the family pet Golden Retriever that so many think is a "great family dog". My boy has been attacked by a Golden Retriever. Another one put us in the street when it charged us. Another one also tried to attack. Three different dogs, three different places, all Golden Retrievers.

A child does not understand dogs. The adult should before getting a dog. But if you go to YouTube, or Twitter, or Facebook, you will find hundreds and hundreds of videos or photos of small kids climbing all over, pulling on, tugging on, pushing on the family dog, or getting right up in the dog's face, hugging the dog from the front, all while the parents blabber on about how "cute" it is.

And then we hear yet another story of a child being killed by a family dog. Because people are stupid. Never, ever leave a small child around a dog. It doesn't matter if it's the sweetest, most chill dog you've ever known, you still don't do that.
When I was a kid, we had a rat terrier, a ridgeback and a bluetick..... the rat terrier ran the show and the pack. Damn little dog was after everything on the farm and the other two right behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 02:34 PM

40 posts, read 25,830 times
My wife's toy poodle was very nearly killed by an off-leash Pit a couple of years ago. The only reason she lived was that I found a brick and was able to beat the Pit in the head to make it let go. Myself and its owner tried everything up to that but nothing worked.

Before that I was a believer that its not the dog its the owner. I changed my mind then and there. There was no indication, no sign of aggression. It wagged its tail, walked up to us, and swallowed my poodle.

Owning a Pit is like living next to a field that has a landmine buried in it. You can have your kids play there for years and they're probably ok. But if one of them happens to step on the single spot with the landmine, its over.

Your choice.

Old 12-23-2019, 02:38 PM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
It's not just Pit Bulls. My neighbors Rottweiler got out of his fenced in yard, and shredded two of my other neighbors Jack Russell Terriers, killing one and severely hurting the other that did survive and recover. I hate to think what it would have done to a child or even and adult.

Old 12-23-2019, 03:27 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,480,403 times
Pit bull owners tend to be leading citizens, many who are philanthropists and other people of character. Membership in Mensa is not uncommon.

Old 12-23-2019, 03:53 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Pit bull owners tend to be leading citizens, many who are philanthropists and other people of character. Membership in Mensa is not uncommon.
put this in italics so we know it's sarcasm.

Old 12-23-2019, 04:02 PM

7,120 posts, read 4,540,768 times
Some big dogs see little dogs as prey. I don’t let mine outside without me because any big dog could get in the yard and kill them. Other large breeds have killed people.

Old 12-23-2019, 04:54 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Possibly, but the difference is the jaw of the pitbull and similar breeds. It can lock on once it gets a grip in a way that other breeds can't making it far more deadly. I learned this from Judge Judy. 99 percent of her dog attack cases involve pit bulls.
Well, she's uncorrect about that. There is nothing in the pit bull jaw's physiology that allows it to lock up any more than the jaws of any other breed.

Old 12-23-2019, 06:00 PM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
You can carry a loaded gun around where you live? Man, I need to move there! Your story above shows right there that the dog's owner is the root cause of your pit pull issue. Any responsible pit bull owner wouldn't have that type of dog off a leash in public.

Yeah, we have elderly people in our area who walk around with stuff like a golf putter or a wooden cane with a super heavy duty metal handle at the end. I too have been a little worried at times walking around late at night or super early in the morning. Not necessarily because of a dog, but also we sometimes get mountain lions in our area.
We have open and concealed carry without a permit. So yes I can carry a loaded gun and do sometimes.

Old 12-23-2019, 07:32 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Ah yes, the joys of dog ownership. I sometime wonder, should I go and get a couple of rescue dogs to try that unconditional love I hear about, naw, bad idea.

Old 12-23-2019, 07:40 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Someone will claim that pit bulls are wonderful dogs. I had one try to attack me once, busted its head with a baseball bat.
Sigh why do people, usually the same people who demonize guns insist upon blaming the animal when it is the owner who is at fault.

Bad owners= bad dogs no matter what the breed.

All breeds require owners who actually behave as owners, some require owners who can manage a strong breed.

In this case the dogs were undisciplined had bad owners and were allowed to roam. The dogs were not at fault. Their owners were.

Save the dogs and put the owners down. The world will be a better place for it.

The same is true of lousy parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies