Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 11:41 AM

5,860 posts, read 3,299,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
And ... here we have yet another avoidance of the question. Pretty telling.
It comes down to choice. Of course I could own a Golden Retriever. However I love pit bulls. So therefore I own a pit bull. I have that choice. So I choose to own a pit bull. I could live in another neighborhood. However I choose to live in the one I currently live in. I can drive another vehicle however I choose to own a pick up. That's my choice. You may not like my choice in dogs. However it is not for you to decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2020, 12:25 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
I have never understood the large dog craze going on. Large dogs kill and injure many people annually. But let's obsess over a very low risk of illness due to cat poop.

Old 02-16-2020, 01:05 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Chocolate doesn't kill people at greater rates than vanilla.

The fact that that's all you could come up with for a rebuttal is proof of how weak your position is.

Anybody who chooses a pitbull over just about any other breed has some screwy things going on between the ears. One would think they might be hooligans at heart, perhaps.
Many reasons to own a pit bull. In the south, where hogs are becoming a greater and greater nuisance, pit bulls are the number one dog for hunting them. I guess you could try hunting hogs with a golden retriever, but it isn’t going to go well. I grew up with pits, as my father was an avid hog hunter back in the seventies. I have pictures of me riding his favorite pit like a pony when I was a kid. I’ve known people who had pits for dealing with prize bulls, and even a horse rancher whose pit was better at corralling than any cowboy.

Pits aren’t for everyone, and anyone who is thinking about acquiring one should research both the breed and the breeder before going ahead with it. They’re smarter than most other breeds, and will react to any perceived threat to “their” person or people very quickly. This trait accounts for many of the cases where pits go after other dogs. Pits take a lot of training, and quite frankly many who own them aren’t capable of training them properly. Many bloodlines have been corrupted by breeding for aggression, but if you can find a good bloodline you’ll have a dog that is loyal, loving, and protective.

Old 02-16-2020, 01:26 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
It comes down to choice. Of course I could own a Golden Retriever. However I love pit bulls. So therefore I own a pit bull. I have that choice. So I choose to own a pit bull. I could live in another neighborhood. However I choose to live in the one I currently live in. I can drive another vehicle however I choose to own a pick up. That's my choice. You may not like my choice in dogs. However it is not for you to decide.
You're still dancing around the question, going to great lengths to avoid answering it directly.

Old 02-16-2020, 01:29 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,541,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Many reasons to own a pit bull. In the south, where hogs are becoming a greater and greater nuisance, pit bulls are the number one dog for hunting them. I guess you could try hunting hogs with a golden retriever, but it isn’t going to go well. I grew up with pits, as my father was an avid hog hunter back in the seventies. I have pictures of me riding his favorite pit like a pony when I was a kid. I’ve known people who had pits for dealing with prize bulls, and even a horse rancher whose pit was better at corralling than any cowboy.

Pits aren’t for everyone, and anyone who is thinking about acquiring one should research both the breed and the breeder before going ahead with it. They’re smarter than most other breeds, and will react to any perceived threat to “their” person or people very quickly. This trait accounts for many of the cases where pits go after other dogs. Pits take a lot of training, and quite frankly many who own them aren’t capable of training them properly. Many bloodlines have been corrupted by breeding for aggression, but if you can find a good bloodline you’ll have a dog that is loyal, loving, and protective.
Right. But probably 95% of the people who want and own pit bulls do not hunt hogs. Or probably anything else for that matter. Which, once again, begs the question as to why they would want to own one when there are tons of far less dangerous breeds out there.

Old 02-16-2020, 01:37 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
Quote:
Right. But probably 95% of the people who want and own pit bulls do not hunt hogs. Or probably anything else for that matter. Which, once again, begs the question as to why they would want to own one when there are tons of far less dangerous breeds out there.
Men kill their romantic partners more often than women do. Why would anyone be with a man when they could be with a woman instead?

Old 02-16-2020, 02:15 PM

5,860 posts, read 3,299,469 times
Quote:
You're still dancing around the question, going to great lengths to avoid answering it directly.
Because I love pit bulls. I have owned pit bulls for over 25 years. What can you not comprehend?

Old 02-16-2020, 02:39 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Yep, pitbull owners are pretty much garbage.
You are incredibly ignorant.

Old 02-16-2020, 03:11 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
At least read and try to comprehend the entire post before you respond. I answered your question quite well. Pretending that the only reason to own a pit bull is to hunt hogs after I gave other examples, some sound reasons, and advice on whether or not a pit bull would be a good fit for potential owners makes you sound whiny. If I want to have a conversation with whiny people I can do so without going online, I have teenage daughters.

Old 02-16-2020, 03:12 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
There are 3.6 million pitbulls in the US, 203 people were killed in a ten year period, that is a 0.0005% chance of death by a pitbull over a ten year period, it is even a lower percent any given year.

Now, go compare that with other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies