Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 06:33 PM

62,974 posts, read 29,162,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
How will they get comfortable using English if they refuse to speak it? English is the language that binds us all. Doubt it? Pay attention sometime. In my local Macy's most of the sales clerks are foreign born. They come from different countries but when speaking to their co-workers, they all speak English. Without English, none of them could do their jobs.
lol, so native English speakers in their own damned country should wear ear plugs now because of unassimilating, rude foreigners who live here, are not tourists but know how to speak English but refuse to in public? I just have to roll my eyes at those kinds of stupid remarks, don't you?

Geez, I can't even go into a department store anymore and the ads over the intercom are all in Spanish. I guess us native English speakers don't spend any of our money there? Our national de facto language is English not Spanish. Most Hispanic-Americans know English so just whom are they trying to reach? There are just as many tourists from other countries as there are from Spanish speaking countries so why are the ads only in Spanish? The greedy ba**ards are trying to reach the millions of illegal aliens here, that's why. Anything for a buck, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2019, 06:38 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
California and Sanctuary Cities are irrelevant in this conversation because it's not good for your argument?

lvmensch/California politicians: hey you Uncle Sam, I think your immigration agents/officers from ICE/CBP cannot enforce immigration law effectively because you don't have resources

ICE/CBP: really? watch this!!

lvmensch/California politicians: hey hey easy CBP/ICE, we are going to put handcuffs on you (figuratively speaking) if you don't slow down with enforcing immigration law
My argument is to be rational and realistic. As you appear to support the current idiocy it is not surprising you find it difficult to understand. If you actually believe the present situation has any hopes of coming out well it shows how deeply flawed are those trying to defend that idiocy.

Idiocy is its own reward...

Old 12-31-2019, 07:14 PM

62,974 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
We have a problem with undocumented aliens. The southern border issue is only about half of it and diminishing. We will never stop illegal immigration so get that idea out of your skull. Separating families and putting kids in cages is Trump's theatrical solution...a reality show for immigrants and a feel-good sop to his base. It makes no difference nor will his wall. We will not deport all undocumented aliens, nor do we want to. Greedy employers like them and that is why there is no enforceable e-verify. We have already made a commitment to 'Dreamers'. Any bandaid solution such as the wall, citizen ID cards, and e-verify will be effective maybe 90 days at the most. The only lasting solution is (1) proper control and monitoring of visas for visitors, and (2) reform and economic development in Central America to make those places livable and productive in their own right.

Democrats are not supporting illegal immigration but they recognize the reality of the situation much more than Trump-Republicans do. If we think we have an immigration problem now, wait until we see climate change refugees.
Who said we had to stop illegal immigration 100%? If we could just stop half of it (and we can) it isn't worth doing?

No, putting aliens in holding facilities (not cages) is what Obama did way before Trump. There were many good reasons for doing so but you and yours just like to make it seem like it was just to be cruel rather than the real reasons as the latter doesn't fit your bleeding heart agendas.

It's not Trump's wall. The Secure Fence Act was passed in 2006 by a bi-partisan congress with both Obama and Schumer's signatures on it. It was not built according to specs, however. Much of it was mere flimsy fencing that could be breached and Trump is just trying to fix that and build an additional 300 miles of the good physical barriers. Where they are in place already it has cut back illegal entry very effectively (links provided numerous times in here). So yes, good walls do work in spite of your erroneous claims.

No one is saying that we can deport all illegals (not undocumented) but we should deport them as they make themselves known and remove all of the incentives for them to remain here. Why would you have a problem with that especially since e-verify would stop the greedy employers from hiring them for profits? E-verify can be enforced. So WTH are you talking about? There have already been several that have been caught and held accountable.

There is no committment to the Dreamers nor should there be. They shouldn't benefit from their parent's law breaking.

We know the reality of it and that is why all of the steps above should be taken including monitoring the visa over stayers. We already send remittances to the countries of those who are fleeing them so that's not a viable solution as it never goes to the people. We need to secure our own border from illegal entry and let those other countries fend for themselves. Tired of being the saviors of the world anyway.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:32 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,302,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
So basically at the end of the day your only really opposed to paying your fair share of taxes.....
No, basically I'm for EVERYONE to pay their fair share of taxes, and that includes the super rich and the rich corporations, who got a permanent tax break, while a wage slave like me has to pay more.

Old 01-05-2020, 10:26 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,800,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
No, basically I'm for EVERYONE to pay their fair share of taxes, and that includes the super rich and the rich corporations, who got a permanent tax break, while a wage slave like me has to pay more.
You apparently do not understand the complete tax system.....

The rich and their corporations do not pay much income tax (obviously), rather they pay Corporate taxes, currently 21% after the Trump tax reduction. It was at 35%, the highest in the world, which is why companies like Apple set up shop in places like Ireland. Then they pay Capital Gains taxes on their profits.

The top 30 richest corporations in America pay 26% of their profits in taxes.....

And some of the evil corporations you hate do not do as well as you think.....
The company [Exxon Mobil] says that in the decade to 2015 it made $82 billion in net income and paid out $110 billion in U.S. taxes.

Feel better now, you poor little wage slave..?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies