Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 07:45 PM

6,475 posts, read 4,077,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Yes. It happens in black areas of towns in Appalachia. It happens nowhere near as often by poor whites in Appalachia or elsewhere. Hence the white homicide rate in the U.S. which is about 3 per 100k vs the black rate around 18 per 100k while the U.S. rate is around 4.5. These are victim rates. The black homicide offender rate is higher than the victim rate. USDOJ, FBISTATS.

7 shot in a bar in Huntington earlier today. The shooters weren’t Swedish.
City of Huntington is 87% White and 7% Black. Even with Black over-representation in the murder rate, by national standards most communities with similar demographics don't have a murder rate of 40 per 100,000 that Huntington, West Virginia has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2020, 07:46 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Oh,it happens in Appalachia. Huntington WV with a population of 48,000 had 21 homicides or murder rate 43.75 in 2017. Many of the shootings were drug-related-the city is opioid capital.
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...rate-this-year

When gangs and/or drugs are in the mixed, an impoverished city or community starts experiencing a spike in violence.
In addition, violence can occur in some of the hollows and remote parts of Appalachia. Areas that are hard to get to, where it takes a while for the police to reach.

Someone gets murdered in the city, and especially when it's gang related, finding the body isn't difficult. Someone in a remote hollow gets shot to death, there are plenty of places to hide a body.

Old 01-01-2020, 07:48 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
St. Louis, the city proper, has a population of 319,000. The Greater St. Louis Area has a population of 2.8 million.

The Lincoln, NE metro population, however, is about 334,000. Provo, UT's population is about 112,000, with the metro population being about 526,000.
so, take the city limits for one, but the metro area for others?

Are we comparing just the city proper for a homicide count, or the St Louis metro area?

Old 01-01-2020, 07:57 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
He recently started another thread that compared Bismarck N.D. and Lincoln NE (or similar cities) to Los Angeles county. He was literally comparing a population of 200,000 people to 10.2 million people.
The comparison allow deeply flawed does make a valid point.
Where would you be safer? Pretty sure it isn't St. Louis, the bad part of Chicago, Baltimore, Philadelphia or a lot of other big cities with gang and crime issues.

Sleepy Lincoln might not be as exciting but you also aren't reading about daily shootings and murders either.

Old 01-02-2020, 06:11 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I think the OP really want to say is black city= bad, white city=good.

Or this is another subliminal Democratic/liberal city=bad.
Basically!

A lot of anti-black is hidden under the guise of being anti-liberal. Well....actually they are both anti-black and anti-liberal, because most blacks are liberal (in their vote).

That having been said......that is outrageous.....but is clearly anomalous. You can find similar anomalous days in many cities at different times of the year. Usually its always an incident where multiple people were killed in a single incident, involved in the total.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 01-02-2020 at 06:25 AM..

Old 01-02-2020, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Basically!

A lot of anti-black is hidden under the guise of being anti-liberal. Well....actually they are both anti-black and anti-liberal, because most blacks are liberal (in their vote).

That having been said......that is outrageous.....but is clearly anomalous. You can find similar anomalous days in many cities at different times of the year. Usually its always an incident where multiple people were killed in a single incident, involved in the total.
I'm sad to say this, but I agree to a certain extent. I do have some conservative views on certain issues. However, there are times when I wonder if some conservatives are just anti-Black. I think about this because alot of people who are very anti-Black are themselves conservatives. I have to wonder who becomes conservative because of it.

St. Louis is just a basket case. It has always been a gang city, going back to the early 20th century. Memphis has always been violent. In fact, it was worse back in 1910, 1920 than it is now. I brought up Atlanta and it is a bigger city, higher percentage of Blacks. It's doing better than St. Louis. I notice no one has an answer for that.

Old 01-02-2020, 07:03 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
Quote:
Basically!

I was thinking that it was anti-liberal and anti-city. There are plenty of safe US cities and North and South East and west.

Gang violence and crime will distort the numbers. I wouldn't live in a high crime area if I had any choice. Unfortunately most don't.

Old 01-02-2020, 07:09 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm sad to say this, but I agree to a certain extent. I do have some conservative views on certain issues. However, there are times when I wonder if some conservatives are just anti-Black. I think about this because alot of people who are very anti-Black are themselves conservatives. I have to wonder who becomes conservative because of it.

St. Louis is just a basket case. It has always been a gang city, going back to the early 20th century. Memphis has always been violent. In fact, it was worse back in 1910, 1920 than it is now. I brought up Atlanta and it is a bigger city, higher percentage of Blacks. It's doing better than St. Louis. I notice no one has an answer for that.
The thing about today, different from the past, is that racism is seen as being a perversion. Its also gives ammunition and PROOF to their opposition forces if presented outright. They need to discredit racism as being something that exist to a degree of being significant or impacting. Hence, racist must not see themselves as racist, lest they see themselves as "perverts", so to speak. Racist also can't show racism outright because then their opposition can justify policies and programs that seek to offset this racism. Consequently, racist need proxies for their racism. They also need it to be seen as blacks have a mental problem, by seeing racism where non really exist. One of the biggest proxies is to be anti-liberal.....because that is where most blacks reside.....in liberalville. So they bomb liberalville knowing that they are bombing most of black people.

Old 01-02-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
The thing about today, different from the past, is that racism is seen as being a perversion. Its also gives ammunition and PROOF to their opposition forces if presented outright. They need to discredit racism as being something that exist to a degree of being significant or impacting. Hence, racist must not see themselves as racist, lest they see themselves as "perverts", so to speak. Racist also can't show racism outright because then their opposition can justify policies and programs that seek to offset this racism. Consequently, racist need proxies for their racism. They also need it to be seen as blacks have a mental problem, by seeing racism where non really exist. One of the biggest proxies is to be anti-liberal.....because that is where most blacks reside.....in liberalville. So they bomb liberalville knowing that they are bombing most of black people.
Yes, and no. I notice the areas people love to tout as "Democratic failures". I notice there are no mentioned of Madison,Wisconsin, litmus test liberal. No mention of Des Moines,Iowa. Very little mention of Denver,Colorado, that is, unless it involves criticizing marijuana. Hardly any mention of Asheville,North Carolina. It's always Detroit, St. Louis, Baltimore, Chicago, and in this case, Philadelphia.

I also mention when the virtues of conservative states are brought up, no one brings up West Virginia, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Alaska. North Dakota, Nebraska, South Dakota are brought up often.

Now, with Detroit, St. Louis, Chicago, Philadelphia, there are people who could easily say "see, this his what happens when your city has a large Black population". But, in this case, it is more covert. Being openly bigoted is considered a disease. Being a bigoted person, period, no matter who you are, is a disease. It's one of the most horrible things you can be. For this reason, dogwhistle terms and dogwhistle arguments are used. No one has to say "this is what you get with Blacks", you can say "this is what you get with liberals".

Of course, the persons who bring up the aforementioned cities seldom talk about Denver, Minneapolis, Madison, San Jose, Austin, Asheville, Des Moines, etc. Those cities aren't particularly bad places to live. They also share another common factor: All of them are less than 20% Black. If someone has a mind to complain about Black people, without actually mentioning Black people, Madison or Denver aren't the cities one would pick. It's Detroit, Philadelphia, St. Louis one will pick. They all have alot of problems and all happen to have large Black populations.

We all know St. Louis, Memphis, Detroit, Philadelphia, those are rough cities. I've known it for years. This is the thing. I'm not here to complain about political parties or a particular ethnicity. I know from reading about history that some cities have been rough places to live for decades, regardless of political party.

Portraying Black people as "mentally inferior, it made me think of something. Whom one destroys, one must make look ridiculous.

I brought up Mississippi earlier. Largest Black population per capita in the USA. It is also one of the most rural states in America. Alot of Black people living in a conservative state. Mississippi is also the poorest state in the USA. I don't see many people touting the value of Mississippi, except Mississippi natives. It's much poorer than the rest of the USA, and it has been among the poorest places in the USA for over a century, regardless of who is in charge. Those who want to tout how great conservatism is would have to admit that it doesn't work for everyone, especially not in Mississippi. Plenty of places there that look like 3rd world countries.

I'm not going to knock what North Dakota and South Dakota have going. I've actually applied to jobs in those states. I'm not here to criticize the way those states are ran. I am here to point out some of what you said, and to add to it. West Virginia, which is 92% White, is also one of the poorest states in the USA, and it's very Republican. That state won't get mentioned, because then one would have to admit that blight and poverty aren't specific to Democratic-ran areas.

Old 01-02-2020, 02:12 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
St. Louis 5 homicides New Years morning is same amount as similar sized Lincoln, NE had all of last year
No sheep is safe in some of these red States, especially New Years night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies