Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 06:18 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
The funny part about this is, the GOP House members never supported Trump, they complained about the process.

The GOP Senators talking are not really supporting Trump. They are complaining about process and if more information coming out since last month can be submitted.

Kind of funny no comments on his morals or honesty. Not even a Trump would never do anything like the charges.

It's like they all know he should be removed.
"Kind of funny no comments on his morals or honesty.", because ONLY people like you think this way.

TDS IS a MENTAL disorder!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2020, 06:38 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
This is the 3rd impeachment in our history. There were actually 4 sets of impeachment papers drawn up by the House, but Nixon resigned before his charges ever went onto the House floor.

None of the previous 2 impeachments were convicted by the Senate.

Andrew Johnson was spared conviction by one vote, and that Senator, a Republican like Johnson, lost his seat forever for that vote.

Clinton's impeachment never resulted in a Bill of Impeachment being voted on by the full House.
So his Senate conviction was never begun. The Senate simply halted the basic procedures with a vote on the floor, and that ended it all for good.

I doubt Trump will be convicted by members of his own party in an election year.

But each impeachment has been so different from the others, and there have been so few of them, that my belief is just that; there's nothing factual to support it.

While the trial puts Trump's presidency into great danger, the trial could also open up a path for a Republican Senator who wants to become President. The chaos that would follow in the Republican party after Trump was convicted could be the perfect time for a Senator to jump into the race and win it once the incumbent was gone.

So for me, the most honest answer to the OP's question is "I don't know." I don't know if Trump will be removed. I don't know if he won't be, either. History isn't helping form an answer, and the betting odds seem to be 50/50 to me.
Clinton was impeached and the Senate did vote to acquit on both articles.

If you set the betting odds at 50/50 on Trump being convicted, bookmaking is not the occupation for you.

Old 01-18-2020, 06:55 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Trump will be acquitted with 100% certainty. The only question is just how obnoxiously fixed this white wash comes across to the American people. That could play in the fortunes of several Republican senators this fall.

Old 01-18-2020, 07:01 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,391,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Trump will be acquitted with 100% certainty. The only question is just how obnoxiously fixed this white wash comes across to the American people. That could play in the fortunes of several Republican senators this fall.
The American People see this partisan impeachment sham for what it is, a sham.

There were NO CRIMES to "white wash"!

Old 01-18-2020, 09:09 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,667,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
The impeachment trial won't come close to removing tRump.

Hey for once, I agree with you.

We have adults in the Senate that will throw out this embarrassing hateful Democrats the House sent over.

Old 01-18-2020, 10:34 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
Took ya long enough.
Quote:
We have adults in the Senate that will throw out this embarrassing hateful Democrats the House sent over.
We have spineless Pub toadies in the senate who fear tRump's followers and will pretend to support whatever it is he's said today. Licking his boots and making butt-kissing remarks in front of cameras are what they do and who they've proven themselves to be.

It'll be a very temporary "victory' for both tRump and them.

Carry on.

Old 01-18-2020, 01:17 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
That is a fair answer. My only issue with his impeachment was the goal from day one by the democrats was to impeach. They weaponized the process. How can they honestly say they were unbiased in their decision was part of a plan ? It really was a kangaroo court.
I disagree.

If the Republicans had even the tiniest scintilla of subterfuge by Obama, he would’ve been similarly impeached, and if the Repubs had the power in the Senate, he would’ve been removed from office.

I KNOW this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
^^^Ditto.

I believe that Trumps actions were wrong but not enough for removal from office. For the health of the process and the country, I feel it should be the American people that ultimately decide upon yay or nay come November.
Absolutely. I just wanted him slapped down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Funny, you use, " Even removing a president as crooked and dishonest as Trump" and "Americans no longer care about the rule of law as much as they care about partisanship." together.

Thank you for describing yourself. You are so partisan, you ONLY see what the liberal media has told you.
Okay. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"The Republicans decided not to participate"

The dems decided to NOT LET the repubs "participate"!

It is tough to "participate" when you are DENIED being able to calling a SINGLE witness.

When you are NOT allowed to even KNOW who the non-whistleblower whistleblower is, much less be involved in interviewing him when you are locked out. etc., etc., etc.

Participation is a 2 way street!
The Republicans had a vote. They voted against his impeachment. That’s called participation.

Old 01-18-2020, 01:22 PM

25,447 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post

I don't know many who think the Senate will actually convict Trump. But impeachment is enough for me.

Old 01-18-2020, 01:25 PM

25,447 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
The American People see this partisan impeachment sham for what it is, a sham.

There were NO CRIMES to "white wash"!
The majority of the public supported impeachment. You can't have a sham or a faux or a hoax impeachment. It is either an impeachment or it ain't. And this is. Just ask Trump if he feels impeached, lol.

Old 01-18-2020, 02:15 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,100,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
The majority of the public supported impeachment. You can't have a sham or a faux or a hoax impeachment. It is either an impeachment or it ain't. And this is. Just ask Trump if he feels impeached, lol.
Trumo still has all the same power as president, soo..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies