Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 12:59 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,968,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Retirement savings are not in the cards for a good chunk of labor paid just enough to keep working. Do not play stupid rightwing crap.
In Communist Countries, the government is run on a tight budget for the workers, just enough to survive but not much more. I have never heard of a Communist Country with high wages for workers.

When Big Business took over the government, the first objective in their for profit scheme was crushing wages by hopping in bed with cheap labor Communist countries.

It has been downhill ever since. A country that has workers with rights is an abomination to the profiteers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 01:00 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,677,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
There was a time when most Americans did not have stocks on Wall Street but only pension funds are nothing at all. Being for or against unions had no impact on them.

Even the 40% of Americans that have stocks, is in low values and not enough to retire on from research that has been done.

The most richest Americans at the .5% level made their wealth from the stock market, they also account for the majority of wealth held in the stock market.

The brightest idea they ever had was hitching a chunk of American Workers to the stock market so that they would go against labor, because the more labor makes, the less profits there are to go to wall street.
This is true. I'm celebrating my 25th year with the same company. It is owned be a hedge fund. Top management keeps hammering us middle managers about our labor costs. I say to them "But we have contractual requirements with our contracts to staff if we have any exposure to the event."
They say, use less staff and pay them less. When you reach your labor quota, use salaried people to fill the gaps. In other words, "Do twice as much with half the staff.

Cost of labor has been the biggest carbuncle on the corporate ass since the first company started manufacturing cloth.

Without unions and employee unity, all labor will be done by AI in the future.

Old 02-01-2020, 01:01 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,658,319 times
Quote:
Responsibility is a two way street.
How come Big Business need Organizations and Lobbyists to go up against the government?

How come an individual business does not do it on its own?

Why?

Because there is $$$power$$$ and money in numbers.

How come we do not send out one man to fight our wars instead of a brigade, because there is power in numbers.
Businesses can CHOOSE to join industry groups if they want.

I support your right to CHOOSE to join a union, but nobody should ever be required to join to get a job.

Do you agree or are you against choice?

BTW, do you need government to help you save for a car?

Old 02-01-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
In Communist Countries, the government is run on a tight budget for the workers, just enough to survive but not much more. I have never heard of a Communist Country with high wages for workers.

When Big Business took over the government, the first objective in their for profit scheme was crushing wages by hopping in bed with cheap labor Communist countries.

It has been downhill ever since. A country that has workers with rights is an abomination to the profiteers.
And the workers barely survive in those communist countries.

Old 02-01-2020, 01:04 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,701,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Not true. Upon taking office the Obama administration was handed a financial situation so bleak that it threatened to bring down the entire world economy. Saving the economy was his first priority, while republicans blocked every move he made, if they could.
Well, they certainly "took the money" so they didn't block everything...and, remember, some of the programs were either approved or well underway since GWB had 3 months in office after he (and his beliefs and forces aligned) destroyed the economy.

I remember seeing all the projects underway - it was a really good thing. Many of our big interstates were repaved, bridges fixed, runways improved and lengthened and even bike paths were finished.

Most Righties tend to complain first and then learn later...if ever. I took the time to actually look up the projects within 100 miles of my home and there was a multitude...and I agreed with virtually every one of them.

As one example, look at Tesla - making America truly great again. Sure, they (and many other) benefit from 100's of millions in tax credits but now the company is the most valuable automaker on the planet (or #2). The sums involved will dwarf the "stim".

Long term planning is not one of the strengths of the Right in this country. They tend to want tax cuts now...out of debt and deficit and like being "against" things (like health care) rather than actually tackling hard issues.

Old 02-01-2020, 01:05 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,968,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
We already had standing on your own.

This was when the average life span in the UK of a factory worker was 38. This was child labor and 12+ hour days 6 days per week....and a life of abject poverty whether you were working or not.

I'm not big on Unions "American Style" - but if our Unions can morph more into the German or other models (good for workers, management, the country, the product, etc.), then it would truly Make America Great Again.

Hint: Capitalism doesn't care one iota if a worker contracts cancer and dies poor. There are 10's of millions of such stories and instances and you and I will never hear about them.
Profiteers only care about money.
Workers are nothing less than machinery.
Owners in their gated mansions that live thousands of miles from the polluted rivers and skies could care less.

Business owners should be required to live where their widgets are made, like on the Yangtze River where the industrial waste comes out like sludge and the air is so thick you need an oxygen mask to breathe.

They need to have skin in the game.

Old 02-01-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

The Government may subsidize your car and they may actually pay a lot of the expenses for it if you use it for business, volunteer work, etc.

So, yes, the Government does help many "save" for or on a car.

Any other questions??

Old 02-01-2020, 01:07 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,677,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Businesses can CHOOSE to join industry groups if they want.

I support your right to CHOOSE to join a union, but nobody should ever be required to join to get a job.

Do you agree or are you against choice?

You do have a choice. If the shop you want to work for is a union shop and you don't like unions, get a job in a different shop.
The percentage of non union workplaces far exceeds those of union shops. That's just a fact.

Old 02-01-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The Government may subsidize your car and they may actually pay a lot of the expenses for it if you use it for business, volunteer work, etc.

So, yes, the Government does help many "save" for or on a car.

Any other questions??
You mean a tax break where I might pay less taxes?

BTW, I want taxes to be x% for everyone with no deductions at all and no corporate taxes.

So don't pretend that I like what you call "subsidies"

Old 02-01-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Profiteers only care about money.
Workers are nothing less than machinery.
Owners in their gated mansions that live thousands of miles from the polluted rivers and skies could care less.

Business owners should be required to live where their widgets are made, like on the Yangtze River where the industrial waste comes out like sludge and the air is so thick you need an oxygen mask to breathe.

They need to have skin in the game.
Yep, it's telling that Koch had his favorite Mansion on Cape Cod and spent vast sums fighting against off-shore wind farms that would be visible (one inch high...in the long view)....from there.

He's not hanging near one of his plants, that's for sure.

Carnegie, perhaps the original industrialist, moved to NYC and clearly said he did so because of the horrible pollution in the midwest cities. Same with Frick and the other Barons of Coal, Coke and Steel.

We have many Texans among the Mansion owners in Newport (RI). For whatever reason they don't want to be near Houston and the Chemical plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies