Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 01:24 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,253,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Capital gains should be capped at a lower rate because it encourages invest which grows the economy and provides jobs.

Your envy and jealousy of the rich is counter productive.
Why is investment normatively superior to labor?

BTW "my kind" have already captured the Republican party. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 01:26 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,961,090 times
Quote:
And the workers barely survive in those communist countries.
So we agree on why profiteers jumped in Communist China.
It could have been 1990 through 2020 or it could have been 1920.

All those years would have been more profitable for Big Business because labor under Communism is always cheaper.

So, it settles the Bull **** that Corporations moved to China because of Unions.

LABOR IS ALWAYS CHEAPER UNDER COMMUNISM.

Old 02-01-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, they certainly "took the money" so they didn't block everything...and, remember, some of the programs were either approved or well underway since GWB had 3 months in office after he (and his beliefs and forces aligned) destroyed the economy.

I remember seeing all the projects underway - it was a really good thing. Many of our big interstates were repaved, bridges fixed, runways improved and lengthened and even bike paths were finished.

Most Righties tend to complain first and then learn later...if ever. I took the time to actually look up the projects within 100 miles of my home and there was a multitude...and I agreed with virtually every one of them.

As one example, look at Tesla - making America truly great again. Sure, they (and many other) benefit from 100's of millions in tax credits but now the company is the most valuable automaker on the planet (or #2). The sums involved will dwarf the "stim".

Long term planning is not one of the strengths of the Right in this country. They tend to want tax cuts now...out of debt and deficit and like being "against" things (like health care) rather than actually tackling hard issues.
There should have never been any bail outs under Free Market Capitalism, which we do not have.
It is a controlled economy by Banks and Corporations.

Suffice to say, I would have rather seen the homeowners bailed out instead.
I mean, there are many saying these same deadbeats are poor because they spend all their money anyways, so it ends up in the same hands. The bankers.

Instead, we bailed the bankers out and many ended up homeless and poor, or dead.

Old 02-01-2020, 01:35 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
There needs to be a point in the future I hope where workers start fighting back because I do not see it happening now.
No, it doesn't seem to be happening now. Since Clinton handed Bush a robust economy with a balanced budget, the republicans and corporations have been on a 20 year spending binge and the removal of all protections for labor, especially organized labor. Meanwhile, they've also been looting the nations treasury for personal and corporate gain with massive tax cuts to corporate and rich 1%.

The middle class are the workers of America. Everyone, Republican or Democrat , agrees that the middle class is getting screwed and the actual average middle class wage has gone down over the last 20 years.

Middle Class voted for Trump for exactly that reason. Little did they know that all Trump will ever be to them is the big "JohnsonRod" to the middle class.

Old 02-01-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
You do have a choice. If the shop you want to work for is a union shop and you don't like unions, get a job in a different shop.
The percentage of non union workplaces far exceeds those of union shops. That's just a fact.
Yep
5% of the workforce is unionized.
That means job seekers have 95% other jobs to look elsewhere if they do not want to join a union.

Old 02-01-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
You mean a tax break where I might pay less taxes?

BTW, I want taxes to be x% for everyone with no deductions at all and no corporate taxes.

So don't pretend that I like what you call "subsidies"
Business Owners really have no right to complain.

I pay $100 dollars to make a widget and the government also taxes me.
I would normally charge $120 dollars for the widget, but because of taxes, will charge $125 dollars.

The customer ends up paying the taxes which, most consumers are the middle and lower class that make wages.

As a wage earner, how can I include the cost of my purchases to be passed to other people like business owners can?

Old 02-01-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Yep, it's telling that Koch had his favorite Mansion on Cape Cod and spent vast sums fighting against off-shore wind farms that would be visible (one inch high...in the long view)....from there.

He's not hanging near one of his plants, that's for sure.

Carnegie, perhaps the original industrialist, moved to NYC and clearly said he did so because of the horrible pollution in the midwest cities. Same with Frick and the other Barons of Coal, Coke and Steel.

We have many Texans among the Mansion owners in Newport (RI). For whatever reason they don't want to be near Houston and the Chemical plants.
Yea, poor Houston, used to live there.
I lived in Baytown as well and the whole city stunk from the refineries.
Up north now where the air is fresh and clean

Old 02-01-2020, 01:46 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Business Owners really have no right to complain.

I pay $100 dollars to make a widget and the government also taxes me.
I would normally charge $120 dollars for the widget, but because of taxes, will charge $125 dollars.

The customer ends up paying the taxes which, most consumers are the middle and lower class that make wages.

As a wage earner, how can I include the cost of my purchases to be passed to other people like business owners can?
Well, it was one presidential corporatist who once said, "The business of America is business"

So we should have felt the bat to the back of the head coming when we elected the crooked, most corrupt, insecure, shyster, snake oil salesman on the planet and handed him the free world on a platter with no restrictions.

Old 02-01-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
What you like is irrelevant. And pretending is not a sane way to run the world or a country.

It's more a matter of models that work.

It's very easy to be a critic. Try me. Name one subject that I cannot critique. I will critique Ghandi for you if you like.....

It's much hard to actually accomplish things. Tweeting is easy. Working is hard.
There is an old running joke I heard.

A bunch of millionaires fed up with taxes pool their money together to purchase a tropical island, deserted, with no people on it to pester them.

The only problem is, it will require taxed products and services from the main land to feed them, build for them and wipe their asses.

Without that, their money is better used a toilet paper or fire a starter.

Last edited by J746NEW; 02-01-2020 at 02:02 PM..

Old 02-01-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
So you'd be ok with companies being able to ban unions, and if you want to work for a union, just apply to a company that allows them?
There are already companies that ban unions are shutdown altogether as has been done.
Actually, when I think about it, I support companies shutting down, that is their right.

It is also workers rights to form organizations, it is protected under freedom of speech.
No laws should be enacted that abridge that right.

Right to Work States are an affront to that freedom. Let the workers go elsewhere or let the company shut down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies