Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 11:16 AM

13,949 posts, read 5,621,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yep. Show me the man and I'll show you the crime.
And he's picking an odd time to be trying to publicly bully the government into expanding his monopoly powers, given the growing anti-trust sentiment being murmured where Big Tech is concerned. Notice how silent Micro$oft, Google, Oracle and the others are all being? They can hear the grumbling among the angry villagers and don't want to see their castles stormed with torches and pitchforks.

Bezos is tilting at the wrong windmill, big time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2020, 11:17 AM

78,368 posts, read 60,566,039 times
I personally think Bezos is doing this either out of a personal grudge or crafting an excuse for shareholders or trying to make himself look like he's Mr. Anti-trump etc. because he's not going to win.

100% agree that when you start grinding on the fed govt. you can potentially be looked at for any little mistake and even if minor it generates bad press. (Labor violations, unpaid taxes, OSHA, discrimination etc. etc. etc.)

Old 02-10-2020, 11:20 AM

78,368 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Trump is not involved in procurement and if he was, they'd note it in their files. I've done the same thing whereas an ED (executive director) decided to over step boundaries and indicated that they wanted to chose a different company versus what the committee had decided upon. I did what they said since they threatened me and afterwards I noted that in the file/record and when we received an audit and a protest by multiple vendors, that ED was fired because of the note in my file. I was not. Procurement officers know what to do to not take the fall for an executive. Amazon filing in court probably has already asked for all of the determining information for the selection process (there is a process to do a protest and that is the first step - doing an FOIA request on that RFP). If there were anything of note it would have been released. This seems more like Amazon whining IMO than anything else.

On this, I'm goiing to be blunt and tell you that you are tripping. No corporation can "out lawyer" the US government lol. I noted I worked in government agencies, I've also been a consultant for government orgnaizations/agencies where we worked with them on cases of various types. I am no longer in those positions and some of those cases are still tied up in the courts lol. This was 10 years ago. One I remember was filed in 2009 and I got word that the agency won in 2018. An entire wing of the government (the State Department) are lawyers who work on salary and don't costs $1000-$20,000 an hour like Amazon's lawyers as they'll have to hire outside counsel in most instances.
Won't let me rep you again so soon.

Thanks for the education, I love learning new things.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On this, I'm goiing to be blunt and tell you that you are tripping. No corporation can "out lawyer" the US government lol.
Seriously. I cracked up when he said Bezos could "out lawyer" the US government.

Sure he can, and my Bic lighter gives off more light/heat than the Sun. Yeah.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:31 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,000 times
Take a hard look at where Bezos has his money. It’s all in things that would benefit from government expansion. Health food, online e-commerce(as opposed to traditional retail), automation, journalism. He wants big government because he has stake in it not because he cares about that little guy, the little guy would be most adversely affected by the policies. It would largely make their lives more expensive and kill their jobs and upward mobility.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:33 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Seriously. I cracked up when he said Bezos could "out lawyer" the US government.
That was me who said it and obviously it was tongue in cheek. Sarcasm apparently goes over some heads here.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:34 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Do you think a President has the time to do that? If you do, you are mad as in crazy.
He doesn't have to do it himself you know. Plenty of people in the WH to do the legwork.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:35 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
That was me who said it and obviously it was tongue in cheek. Sarcasm apparently goes over some heads here.
tell us how anyone is supposed to spot alleged sarcasm in this statement:

LOL. Bezos can out-lawyer the US government any day of the week. His claim has solid merit - AWS was the front runner until Trump interfered. Trump is not the king. Good for Bezos to put Trump in his place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Read the rest of your post. It wasn't tongue in cheek; that's just your retreat now that you've been clowned.
^this, all day long.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Read the rest of your post. It wasn't tongue in cheek; that's just your retreat now that you've been clowned.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:39 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,420,628 times
Bezos is right. Trump has tried to come after Bezos personally for years. Bezos ain't laying down this time. Trump wants people backing down from him. When people stand up to him, he backs down. That's how bullies operate. Bezos isn't going to be a pushover to the bully. It has nothing to do with money for Bezos...guaranteed. Bezos has time and money to go after Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies