Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2021, 02:57 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,750,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
Maybe. I don't know. I am not going to spend 3 hours trying to find a post I made 1-2 months ago.

But, yes - it does enter the eyes. However - rarely do you see people with sealed eye protection or a mask.
I read just wearing eyeglasses would help, I won't walk into a store without the N95, sunglasses, gloves, and hat, on the rare occasions I do go.

Old 08-19-2021, 03:04 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,309,310 times
Vaccinated people are still much less likely to catch Covid than someone that is non-vaccinated. Less chance of a Covid related blood clot if less chance of getting Covid.

Old 08-19-2021, 03:09 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
I've posted studies before that actually show they do nothing... But, whatever world you want to live in.

I've said, I still wear them a lot too. But, do I think they are really doing anything? No. But, what else can I do...
For every study that says masks don't work, there are studies that say they do. They've been posted here ad nauseum also. I'm not trying to convince, just letting you know that there are studies on both sides.

And to be clear, you being alone wearing a mask does not work if you're the only one wearing it. There has yet to be a real study where a group of people go in a room all 100% masked with illness posted against a control group where there are partial wearers measuring how many people catch something.

Over the past 18 months, there have been several studies with great diagrams posted from other countries that do heavy contact tracing which show infections that occurred in a bus, in a restaurant, in a coffee shop, who was masked, who wasn't, who was infected and so on. Those were done against the orginial variant which is much less infective, though, so who knows how they hold up with Delta.

To answer a later poster, there was a study done showing that those who wear eyeglasses out and about with their mask, generally avoided infection. While eyeglasses are not "sealed", they offer some protection when walking through floating virus from it hitting your eyeball straight on. As you walk through that, with glasses on, much less hitting your eye in the front and maybe you blow by fast enough that it doesn't enter easily through the sides.

Old 08-19-2021, 03:12 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,999,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
She said they were noticing it in people 70 and older. More and more though people seem to be testing positive despite being vaccinated. But we are told those are milder cases. So milder cases wouldn’t cause blood clots? If the virus is in you, regardless of how sick you get, I would think if can still cause the same problems in older people regardless of vaccination. The news keep saying break through cases are rare but it seems we hear of them more frequently now.
Milder cases likely have lower viral loads and are generally tied with better outcomes for the patient therefore the vaccination is recommended. i.e. less likely to have a blood clot.

No infection will cause the exact same problems in any situation.

Old 08-19-2021, 03:27 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,547,612 times
People who develop blood clots from COVID-19 tend to be severe cases. Not always though; it can occasionally happen with mild cases.

BLOOD CLOTTING, COVID-19 AND VACCINES

Old 08-19-2021, 03:38 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,412,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Are the masked in the studies wearing eye protection also? Maybe masks aren't the failure, but lack of eye protection is.

Maybe we should have google mandates in addition to mask mandates...

Old 08-19-2021, 04:05 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,750,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Maybe we should have google mandates in addition to mask mandates...
Do you mean goggle mandates or google mandates as you posted? LOL

Old 08-19-2021, 06:01 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times
Since I posted data earlier on vaccine efficacy per other posts ... should really update here, even though this isn't the vaccine thread. Because this really isn't about the "best" vaccine but letting the data speak.

For those who got covid there is this: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...66379121002032

Janssen:
Mild: 96%
Moderate: 3%
Severe: Less than 0.05% Death: Less than 0.05%
https://sacoronavirus.co.za/wp-conte...st-2021GG2.pdf

So how can that be when hospitalization stats appear so much lower? There are multiple points of comparison:
1. Chances of infection ... data
2. Outcome of infection ... data
3. Outcome if severe ... data

Basically (with all the vaccines) chances of infection are HIGHER due to falling nAbs ... From those numbers comparing the figures to a control group, there will be an outcome - a distribution into severity of disease ... and then an outcome associated with severity.

Another interpretative complexity is that the vaccines were not given randomly. The elderly have a greater likelihood of severe disease, vaccinated or not once they become ill. And they were vaccinated first, particularly in countries like Israel (after HCWs). nAbs are falling ... increasing that chance, resulting in MORE progressing on to stages #2 and #3 with then those stats applying.

More data out of Denmark where it is Moderna that once again shines as for the U.S. Mayo study. That could result from age confounding the data since Moderna was given later in time in Denmark to then younger people + newer vaccine effect. Not so in the United States. Plus, Moderna wasn't used in Israel, except for Palestinian workers.

Preventing Hospitalization:
Alpha- Pfizer 86%, Moderna 97%
Delta- Pfizer 94%, Moderna 97%

Preventing Infection:
Alpha- Pfizer 81%, Moderna 96%
Delta- Pfizer 79%, Moderna 88%

Supposedly Moderna boosters will be 1/2 the strength of the original doses. A higher volume just isn't needed, and that should minimize the symptom profile. Frankly, I'm surprised they are boosting Moderna at all but then the Mayo data may be an artifact and the Denmark data not apply well to the US. nAbs are falling for Moderna and one of the goals in boosting is to:

(1) recapture the ability the vaccines to protect the non-vaccinated to lower overall hospital burden.
(2) minimize the hospitalizations among the elderly who are most vulnerable under any scenario.

Last edited by EveryLady; 08-19-2021 at 06:16 PM..

Old 08-19-2021, 08:27 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,412,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Do you mean goggle mandates or google mandates as you posted? LOL
Lol, meant goggles. My bad.

Old 08-20-2021, 04:01 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Lol, meant goggles. My bad.
I know you were joking but in case sometime takes it seriously, unfornately a goggle mandate wouldn't do anything since your eyes don't exhale virus particles. Goggles just protect you so no need to mandate for others' safety!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies