Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2020, 12:24 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times

Advertisements

The worst thing that could happen in this particular situation is for the government to get involved.

This guy cannot and will not be able to corner the market on these products. There are too many different sources, including large manufacturers, who distribute their products through channels that this person cannot and will not be able to control, including a very impressive network of retail stores, both brick and mortar and online.

Within two weeks, aside from the face masks and maybe one or two other specific medical products, all these shortages will be history.

We are NOT having an actual shortage of toilet paper. This is nuts and the people that are hording toilet paper need to consider getting professional help. Is that you? Get help. Seriously.

Ebay is a private market. They clearly appear to have policies in place to deal with all of this, which they appear to be implementing in a responsible manner. They have got this. And again, we are not running out of toilet paper or drinking water. You will be able to get all you want within the next two week. Watch and see.

This matter appears to be handled already, as far as I can see. Next.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:25 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
What is one to think of rumors that Corona is the result of an accident at a Wuhan lab specialized on biological warfare?
According to this guy, a university in North Carolina and Fort Dietrich are also involved in that mess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5snzKNXP-S8
The shoe fits, so it's certainly possible. What we do know for certain is that there is a center of China's version of the CDC right across the street from the meat market that China initially blamed for the disease. We know that at least one doctor was experimenting on bats infected with what seems to be the same Coronavirus. At one point, it bit him and he self-quarantined. On another occasion the bat peed on him and he self-quarantined again.

So if you're a doctor at this particular lab, did you know that you can make some extra money on the side? After you lab animals die, sell them to the meat market across the street.

Considering the fact that the Chinese government it the way that it is, we will probably never know the truth about how this thing came out. At this point, China's despotic overlords are blaming it on the US military. Fountain of truth, that Chinese government!!

Old 03-15-2020, 12:25 PM

1,065 posts, read 471,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Price gauging is not smiled upon - and I’m glad you think this is ok - at a time where we all need to be extra careful. Maybe if he has all the toilet paper. You maybe don’t find any to wipe ... simply because only person hoarded all of it ! Selfish. 100%. Glad the co’s did not allow it.
Did you even read your original post? You said that Amazon and eBay suspended the sellers. I said I think this is a great thing. eBay and Amazon can do what they please in this free market society. You applied my response to a cherry picked part of your OP just to twist my words. That's insincere.

The stores near me still have TP.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:26 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
What on earth are you talking about? Why can't the guy in his garage run his business the same way? If the products are in short supply, and the customers are willing to pay a premium, whose to say what he is doing is wrong? It's certainly no worse than charging $10 for a fricken aspirin

At least the guy in his garage is obeying the laws of supply in demand, while the hospital charges whatever the hell they want, because the customer doesn't have the luxury of shopping around. At least the customers online can shop around and buy from other sellers, which keeps prices down.
There are no other sellers _ that’s the point. Those invest hog them all. So when people want football or any other sports tickets. They sure get bent out of shape when one guy buys them all - oh yes that sure gets folks upset.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:26 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Fake news. Duh. This is what they do and they are very good at it, planting false stories, even getting government ministers to believe they are true. Russia will be working overtime to turn western nations against each other during this crisis.
Russia has no stake in all this.
There are various sources confirming the story, and strange "coincidences":
https://www.biopharmadive.com/news/c...chella/574015/

Old 03-15-2020, 12:27 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
The new Italy numbers were just posted, not good.

+3,590 new cases and +368 new deaths

So in Italy:

Total cases 24,747
Total deaths 1,809
7.3% fatality rate

I find Germany's numbers amazing, if true.

+1,196 new cases and +2 new deaths

So in Germany:

Total cases 5,795
Total deaths 11
0.19% fatality rate, which is even better than Korea's
The only way this really makes sense is if there are different strains affecting different countries. Maybe Iran and Italy have some mutant form similar to the more deadly and more infectious L strain?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYPZHA-UjUY

Old 03-15-2020, 12:27 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Not if the high risk people are quarantined.

High risk people need food, medical supplies sometimes daily assistance in cooking, cleaning etc. We are just going to close them off from the world and hope for the best?

Old 03-15-2020, 12:28 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The guy in the garage can just as easily whine and complain that he needs to charge 400% more for one item to make up for a loss on another item, or to pay for expenses for incurred running his business. Business is business. No one should enjoy special privileges to screw consumers, and no government should be picking winners and losers in business, hindering the success of private citizens, etc.

Call it what you want, but hospitals charging $10 for a fricken aspirin is a perfect example of tolerated price gouging. What would happen if they tried selling aspirin for $10 on ebay? They would probably get shut down pretty quickly, although I doubt anyone would be stupid enough to buy it to begin with. But when someone is on clinging to life and doesn't have the luxury to shop around, it's totally cool for hospitals to price gouge according to you, since they apparently can't pay their bills any other way.

Sounds like they aren't very good at running an honest business, if that's the case. Why is it too much to ask a hospital to charge a fair price for all services, instead of trying to rip off some customers to pay for the care of other customers?
Takes a doctor, nurse and a pharmacist to decide if you need an aspirin or you will bleed out. It happens.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:29 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Maybe you should go back and follow the bouncing ball, with this conversation I'm having. I do know one thing, that If I knew I Had an influx of people coming into my airport I'd ramp up my personnel and damn sure would not wait for anyone to tell me, like this governor did. Unless you are saying that dem governor is to stupid and cannot govern, then I'll agree with you.
These are Federal functions staffed by Federal workers.

Not like any governor, in any state, could impose its own people.

Not like the Fed asked the states to back fill.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:30 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The shoe fits, so it's certainly possible. What we do know for certain is that there is a center of China's version of the CDC right across the street from the meat market that China initially blamed for the disease. We know that at least one doctor was experimenting on bats infected with what seems to be the same Coronavirus. At one point, it bit him and he self-quarantined. On another occasion the bat peed on him and he self-quarantined again.

So if you're a doctor at this particular lab, did you know that you can make some extra money on the side? After you lab animals die, sell them to the meat market across the street.

Considering the fact that the Chinese government it the way that it is, we will probably never know the truth about how this thing came out. At this point, China's despotic overlords are blaming it on the US military. Fountain of truth, that Chinese government!!
If the guy, who seems to be an expert on the matter and not some nut, is correct, the US military is indeed also experimenting with SARS and such viruses in North Carolina. And the Wuhan institute kind of bought itself in, if I got that right. He explains the involvement in the video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies