Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2020, 09:54 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,561,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
I am not interested in having a "dictator" nor am I praising the existence of a totalitarian regime. But this discussion isn't about my political beliefs. I am simply pointing out that we have a binary choice: Flatten the curve by taking immediate and extreme protective measures or condemn a lot of people to die due to lack of health care facilities.
No, clearly this conversation is about your political beliefs, you are prepared to call for a dictatorship because you are scared of a virus.

If people die, they die. That's what happens in pandemics. You do no one a favor by declaring martial law and paving the way for totalitarian rule. That's long term harm caused by short term cowardice.

5,581 posts, read 2,310,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Of all the new headlines, it is the one from Switzerland which scares me the most.

Switzerland recorded 840 new cases of infection on Sunday, a rise that brought the national total to 2,200.

We are speaking about an extremely rich and small country. 840 in a single day.

Given how much larger the US is, and the health care of Switzerland is far better than the US, what will numbers per day look like very shortly in the US?
The head of the Indiana State Health Commission said it's likely that 70,000 residents of the State of Indiana already have Coronavirus, but haven't been tested for it. Ohio's state health leader said it's likely 100,000 Ohio residents are positive.

Because testing is unavailable for most people, they are walking around and spreading it to others because they don't know they have Coronavirus.

https://www.wdrb.com/news/indiana-to...dc4ca7130.html
Indiana top health official estimates 70,000 Hoosiers carry novel coronavirus

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/08/opini...lah/index.html

Trump assured Americans at that February 26 news conference that the number of people infected in the United States is "going very substantially down, not up." .... "the 15, within a couple of days, is going to be down to close to zero."
Obviously he never understood what "contagious" means. I think he still doesn't get it.

Old 03-16-2020, 09:55 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Freedom is not free, folks.

Do doctors and nurses have the freedom to quit their job at this time?

lol

My uncle is not scared at all and he is an emergency room doctor. My other uncle is a doctor without the border.

Yeah, you'd better believe that if you carelessly spreading the virus, you are a domestic enemy. call me a closet nazi all you want, it is what it is.

Plus, idiots, don't rush to the supermarket getting so much damned food. You are not going to starve to death. At least in this country, as long as you have SOME $$$, you will find food. Time to lose some weight and eat super clean. You have to worry about running out of prescription drugs, and you'd better pray you don't need a doctor in the next 6 month - 1 year

Old 03-16-2020, 09:56 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
My observation is that few are taking this seriously. NJ is supposed to be on “lockdown” with schools closed, no big events, no non-essential travel and shopping, and work from home if you can. On my normal drive this morning everything but the schools were business as usual. People at diners, wawa, going god knows where. Yes, some people can’t work from home but the “shutdown” doesn’t seem to be making a dent in business as usual.

Old 03-16-2020, 09:58 AM

30,261 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Is anyone wearing a face mask yet? In my county there are 5 cases.. some second generation.. two deaths nearby.. I saw a few people wearing masks in my area.. Anyone wearing a face mask in your area or are you wearing one?

Judge Jeanine said to change your clothes after anyone goes to a public place. Wash your coat every 1 or two days. Apparently they believe this virus can be brought in on your clothes. A non peer reviewed study said this virus can be airborne up to 3 hours.. We all have to keep from getting this virus.. we don't want to clog up the hospital beds so we must take every precaution.
See? This is what I was talking about many posts ago. I've been doing stuff like this for years. And people called me "OCD" and a "germaphobe". Not OCD, but no, don't want your germs.

As I said in that post, in addition to the fact that I touch as little as humanly possible in public with my bare hands, I also said that I never wear my shoes in the house, and I never keep my "street clothes" (as I call them) on when I get home. I do not come in from outside and sit on a couch, bed, chair, etc. I take my street clothes off immediately, get into my known clean pajamas, and the street clothes are in the dirty laundry where they belong.

Everyone is freaking out about this virus, but what happens when it all dies down? Are people going to go back to doing things exactly as they did them before? Because if so, welp, then you may as well prepare for the next virus, because it will spread, too, until people learn to stop touching things, stop bringing in the outside world to their home, and learning to wash their hands the proper way.

You can't do much about some idiot who hacks and spews their snot everywhere out in public except to leave their vicinity immediately, and feel free to tell them off as you're doing so. I've done it. I don't give a flying rat's furry butt if they are angry at me for it. I wonder how many of them are thinking back to me giving them a piece of my mind about their disgusting, putrid habits of coughing with their mouths wide open. I'm going to bet they are.

Just as people are starting to understand why you don't go touching everything in public, and are starting to understand why you shouldn't be wearing your outside clothes inside your home, and why I use my sleeve for so many things - and it's not like we haven't all been told this every. single. year. for as long as I can remember, yet people go right back to acting how they did before.

It's almost like redemption. The only problem is that it's the elderly who are most affected, and I have a soft spot for the elderly.

Wonder why things like this spread? Because people don't practice good hygiene, and people are disgusting pigs. (Not everyone, general.) But do people ever learn and retain?

No.

Old 03-16-2020, 09:59 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,772,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I believe this is one of the times, martial law should be declared.

we suck it up for three month.
Are you out of your mind? Trump is erratic, irrational, and a wannabe dictator and you want to give him martial law? He will cancel the election as being "too dangerous for the health of people". I have zero trust in him.

People are pretty cooperative when the situation is explained to them and will rise to the occasion and do what is necessary. Let's try that rather than forcing it down their throats with troops marching through our streets with guns and tanks.

I cannot believe someone would suggest this.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:00 AM

43,128 posts, read 18,298,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
My observation is that few are taking this seriously. NJ is supposed to be on “lockdown” with schools closed, no big events, no non-essential travel and shopping, and work from home if you can. On my normal drive this morning everything but the schools were business as usual. People at diners, wawa, going god knows where. Yes, some people can’t work from home but the “shutdown” doesn’t seem to be making a dent in business as usual.
And that is why it is being forced on them via curfews, closures and crowd limitations.

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Of all the new headlines, it is the one from Switzerland which scares me the most.

Switzerland recorded 840 new cases of infection on Sunday, a rise that brought the national total to 2,200.

We are speaking about an extremely rich and small country. 840 in a single day.

Given how much larger the US is, and the health care of Switzerland is far better than the US, what will numbers per day look like very shortly in the US?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Yikes. How's that been working out for Donny lately

Donald Trump isn't used to dealing with this type of problem. Unlike his political rivals, the playboy models he had sexual affairs with, government intelligence agencies, Donald Trump cannot simply insult coronavirus, call it "fake news," or pay off the pandemic.

This is Trump's first real crisis since taking office, and he is doing a terrible job. For the love of god, Donald Trump directly contradicted CDC, NIH, and WHO officials who said the death rate would be over 3X lower than what career public officials with PhDs said it would be. And Donald, quite literally, said he based his much lower death toll number on a "hunch."

Per usual, I feel so sorry for Trump supporters who have hitched their wagons to Donny's and are forced to continue to support this guy who they all know is a friggin' idiot.
why does switzerland have so many cases? does your polemic above apply to them as well/

19,814 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Okay, serious question here --

WHY is it good to flatten the curve? Yes, I know the answer is to have the medical personnel and facilities be better able to cope with the sick, but given the following two completely made-up scenarios --

Scenario #1 -- Three million people die in a two-month timeframe, and then everything starts to get back to normal by July or August, OR

Scenario #2 - Two million people die over a six-month period, and have millions of bankruptcies due to many millions of people being unable to work and most kids staying out of school, and things don't get back to normal until LONG after the November election --

I think it would be much better to go with Scenario #1 and have people self-quarantine for one solid month. (Btw, I'm 66 and my husband is 63.)

Last edited by katharsis; 03-16-2020 at 10:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies