Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2020, 10:01 AM

39,246 posts, read 27,650,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Are you out of your mind? Trump is erratic, irrational, and a wannabe dictator and you want to give him martial law? He will cancel the election as being "too dangerous for the health of people". I have zero trust in him.

People are pretty cooperative when the situation is explained to them and will rise to the occasion and do what is necessary. Let's try that rather than forcing it down their throats with troops marching through our streets with guns and tanks.

I cannot believe someone would suggest this.
No, i am not.

because we have people who don't even obey quarantine order.

well, let's pray we don't need troops, we'll have to see about that.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:02 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,595,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
No, clearly this conversation is about your political beliefs, you are prepared to call for a dictatorship because you are scared of a virus.

If people die, they die. That's what happens in pandemics. You do no one a favor by declaring martial law and paving the way for totalitarian rule. That's long term harm caused by short term cowardice.
I don't equate a limited period of functional martial law with necessarily paving the way for totalitarian rule. They are both unappetizing choices to be sure, but we are potentially looking at seven-figures worth of deaths if we continue on our current trajectory.

During WWI and WWII, we made great societal sacrifices for the good of the nation without becoming a dictatorship. A limited quarantine period would simply be asking for a different type of sacrifice.

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
After you. And then after all of the people who are minimizing this because it's making the president looks bad. We don't need you spreading your disinformation during this crisis.
No to mention, the anti-vax, pro-disease people that want to minimize this because they think it's "not that bad", certainly nothing we need a vaccine for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Scaramucci made the same point this morning. Trump needs to stop talking and tweeting.

Pence and Co seem to be doing the best they can with the hand they have been dealt, which includes trying to manage Trump’s inconsistent messaging.
Yes, much to my surprise, Pence is doing a pretty good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/08/opini...lah/index.html

Trump assured Americans at that February 26 news conference that the number of people infected in the United States is "going very substantially down, not up." .... "the 15, within a couple of days, is going to be down to close to zero."
Yeah, yeah, yeah, we know, we know. I'm no Trump fan, not by a longshot, but do we have to keep repeating this? We know the guy is a fool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
WV is still negative.

documentation please.

where am i going to get the personnel, equipment, and lab space to run these 5 million tests per week?

and that's just from thermofisher. roche has millions more.

why will everyone testing negative have to continuously return? i don't buy that.
As you well know, the test only shows where you are at a point in time. Having worked in a medical office, I can tell you, you have your "worried well" who always want to be tested for something, some of these negatives will be exposed and need to be tested again, etc.

8,957 posts, read 2,565,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Are you out of your mind? Trump is erratic, irrational, and a wannabe dictator and you want to give him martial law? He will cancel the election as being "too dangerous for the health of people". I have zero trust in him.

People are pretty cooperative when the situation is explained to them and will rise to the occasion and do what is necessary. Let's try that rather than forcing it down their throats with troops marching through our streets with guns and tanks.

I cannot believe someone would suggest this.
Same here, it's just ridiculous how quickly some would be to install a dictator....even one they disagree with politically, out of cowardice.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
And that is why it is being forced on them via curfews, closures and crowd limitations.
I think the good news is that we are doing something.

At the end of the day, I doubt we'd be as bad as Italy. wishful thinking.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:04 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,970,806 times
Quote:
No, clearly this conversation is about your political beliefs, you are prepared to call for a dictatorship because you are scared of a virus.

If people die, they die. That's what happens in pandemics. You do no one a favor by declaring martial law and paving the way for totalitarian rule. That's long term harm caused by short term cowardice.

Bobby,

Are you ready to die?

Are you ready for your close family and friends to die?

Just curious.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Same here, it's just ridiculous how quickly some would be to install a dictator....even one they disagree with politically, out of cowardice.
well, nobody needs a martial law, yet! .... just use some common sense right now.

so you have nothing to worry about.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:05 AM

19,833 posts, read 9,402,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
The head of the Indiana State Health Commission said it's likely that 70,000 residents of the State of Indiana already have Coronavirus, but haven't been tested for it. Ohio's state health leader said it's likely 100,000 Ohio residents are positive.

Because testing is unavailable for most people, they are walking around and spreading it to others because they don't know they have Coronavirus.

https://www.wdrb.com/news/indiana-to...dc4ca7130.html
Indiana top health official estimates 70,000 Hoosiers carry novel coronavirus
Well, if there ARE close to 100,000 cases in Ohio, that is actually reassuring to me -- because if there are that many cases and there are NO deaths in Ohio yet, that would seem to me that the fatality and hospitalization rate will be MUCH less than what some experts are predicting -- but, of course, I could be wrong about that!

Last edited by katharsis; 03-16-2020 at 10:23 AM..

29,526 posts, read 22,708,719 times
Key U.S. Health Agency Suffers Cyberattack During Coronavirus Response

8,957 posts, read 2,565,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
I don't equate a period of functional martial law with necessarily paving the way for totalitarian rule. They are both unappetizing choices to be sure, but we are potentially looking at seven-figures worth of deaths if we continue on our current trajectory.
Martial rule IS totalitarianism and there's no guarantee that it would be temporary. Once you install a dictatorial scenario, you have given up all control to those in power.

7 figures worth of deaths to a virus is preferable to surrendering to a dictatorship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies