Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2020, 07:43 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
The hang up over the testing is the media sees it is something that did have some snags. I truly believe that is why it is being harped on over and over. We still have one of the lowest death rates out of affected countries.
I don't think it has played a big part yet.

I also think we have way overreacted but others may have a lot more knowledge and information than me.
First diagnosis in the US occurred on 1/19. Nearly 2 months elapsed before the Federal Government focused on availability of tests , ICUs,equipment, etc., despite some mayors and governors begging for test kits.

More action in the past week has happened than over the past 2 months. No question, the Federal Government is now engaged.

Trump seriously and consistently has down played the risks/ impacts. What the heck was he doing entertaining dignitaries from Brazil at Mar-a-Lago? Nonetheless, his tone has dramatically changed in the past 24 hours.

Who or what compelled the sudden change of tone?

Old 03-17-2020, 07:45 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,936,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Yes, it is largely political to get rid of Trump. We've had Flu viruses before, and nothing like this total over reaction.
The Spanish Flu in 1918 killed 675,000 people in the US alone. Maybe they could have used some of this "over reaction".

This year, China virtually locked down their society, forcibly quarantining people. I guess you'd consider that an "over reaction", but hey, they seem to have limited the carnage to 3000 some deaths, so i guess it worked.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:45 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,060,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Not every country got hit with the virus at the same time.
The US had their first case Feb 20. We are just one month in.
You don't think how it was handled here had anything to do with when the first fatality appeared in the US.
I do believe there had to cases before the first reported one.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:46 AM

30,170 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by educator1953 View Post
If you truly believe that he was "bated" into that one, then he really isn't very smart, is he?

You don't have to answer that question. It's obvious.

I never said he was smart. And he gets bated into stuff all the time. Look at his twitter comments.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:46 AM

18,458 posts, read 8,287,342 times
...are you people so into arguing you can't even read this?

An Effective Treatment for Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Presented by: James M. Todaro, MD (Columbia MD, and Gregory J. Rigano, Esq.

In consultation with Stanford University School of Medicine, UAB School of Medicine and National Academy of Sciences researchers.

March 13, 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
We may have a treatment......

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Gn33dbdR1KyS0Q

Breakthrough: Chloroquine phosphate has shown apparent efficacy in treatment of COVID-19 associated pneumonia in clinical studies

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article...01047/_article

Old 03-17-2020, 07:47 AM

1,273 posts, read 1,640,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
Nope, not political at all, folks.
Totally went over your head I see. Yea I despise everything about Trump and what he stands for. This virus has nothing to do with that. It is terrible. I didn’t like Bush either. When Fellow Liberals criticized some of Bush’s very very first responses trivial responses day of 9-11 I pushed back. Some picked apart stupid stuff because they didn’t like him. Stuff that didn’t matter. I defended him. I could care less about trivial crap.

Never once has Trump shown any empathy or caring...because he is incapable. That makes him a danger. He discounted experts and the experience other countries were having. He has continuously crashed and burned when he could have risen and led. So if there was a conspiracy well the conspirators knew just how to play him. They knew him very well. He denied, he said it would go away when there was 15. He said it blow over despite nothing from other countries indicating this would happen. He said he was good at this..indicating he had a natural knack for science ...yea right. He really should stick to golf.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:48 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,589,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
do you have your head buried ? Forced self isolation with the shutdowns.
Where is there "forced self-isolation" happening? SF Bay area only, and even there it is arguable.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:48 AM

43,128 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
You don't think how it was handled here had anything to do with when the first fatality appeared in the US.
I do believe there had to cases before the first reported one.
Well then how would that affect that chart ? You can't create a chart with data you don't have.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:49 AM

30,170 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
If you look at the case reporting curves for China (if you believe them) and South Korea, the outbreak seems to subside 4-6 weeks after it's initial surge.

Now not every country will be the same due to all of the variables involved and some countries (Italy) are frankly notoriously disorganized so it's hard to say exactly but it is a rough bell-weather.

So, assuming the US follows a similar pattern, we should see our cases flatten out in early to mid-April.

The have subsided because of intervention. Would they subside if everyone just went about their business? That is the question.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:50 AM

43,128 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Has anyone noticed that that MSM has started to use the words "food rationing" ?

Way to start a total supermarket panic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies