Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2020, 12:01 PM

30,253 posts, read 11,879,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Dr. Fauci, the smartest and most respected scientist on Trump's "Corona task force," would like to see a 14-day, nationwide shutdown.

Apparently Fauci has expressed this to Trump/Pence, let's see what happens....

I think this is where we are headed. I agree. It would at least slow the spread enough so we can get up to speed.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:02 PM

29,858 posts, read 24,982,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
This goes back to my original response to you:

"But you need to understand how a hospital works. The cost of running a hospital is distributed across all its services. Some services are available at a discount, while others are available at a premium. If you were to purchase Aspirin at the hospital pharmacy, it wouldn't be $10/pill and it would be readily available."

You simply have no idea how a hospital works and, as a result, you are unable to grasp a very simple concept. You can keep refusing to learn, but it doesn't change the facts. Hospitals are not price gouging Aspirin and you would understand why if you tried to learn something for a minute.
The guy in the garage can just as easily whine and complain that he needs to charge 400% more for one item to make up for a loss on another item, or to pay for expenses for incurred running his business. Business is business. No one should enjoy special privileges to screw consumers, and no government should be picking winners and losers in business, hindering the success of private citizens, etc.

Call it what you want, but hospitals charging $10 for a fricken aspirin is a perfect example of tolerated price gouging. What would happen if they tried selling aspirin for $10 on ebay? They would probably get shut down pretty quickly, although I doubt anyone would be stupid enough to buy it to begin with. But when someone is on clinging to life and doesn't have the luxury to shop around, it's totally cool for hospitals to price gouge according to you, since they apparently can't pay their bills any other way.

Sounds like they aren't very good at running an honest business, if that's the case. Why is it too much to ask a hospital to charge a fair price for all services, instead of trying to rip off some customers to pay for the care of other customers?

Old 03-15-2020, 12:03 PM

22,216 posts, read 19,514,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
A minimum of 6 hours for returning Americans to clear customs at O’Hare yesterday. In the meantime they were packed liked sardines. Imagine similar situations exist at the other airports allowed to accept inbound flights.

Dallas FW Airport

30,253 posts, read 11,879,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Only 5% of all countries around the world were found to be capable of dealing with a pandemic or even a lesser epidemic.
In a nutshell....we're screwed.

https://www.ghsindex.org/wp-content/...rity-Index.pdf

So why is it we are not in the top 5%? America is suppose to be great again.

7,132 posts, read 4,781,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
What do Russians have to do with it?!
Maybe nothing, maybe everything. America has a particular fascination with Russia and the Trump administration. There are zillions of other threads in POC on it.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:04 PM

1,065 posts, read 474,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The guy in the garage can just as easily whine and complain that he needs to charge 400% more for one item to make up for a loss on another item, or to pay for expenses for incurred running his business. Business is business. No one should enjoy special privileges to screw consumers, and no government should be picking winners and losers in business, hindering the success of private citizens, etc.
This goes back to another response I had to a previous post of yours:

"There's nothing stopping this guy to run his business as he wants."

So at the end of all of this, you agree with me.

5,606 posts, read 3,520,862 times
Coronavirus is officially serious.
All pubs in Ireland ordered to close from tonight.

1,768 posts, read 569,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
That article sounds so off.....

US bribing and then Germany counter bribing with even more money
And that Trump wants the vaccine for the US and only the US and no other country.
You seriously find it hard to believe that Trump would want the US to have an exclusive vaccine or cure? You really, honestly think that he wouldn’t want that?

5,717 posts, read 3,154,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
This happened when Hostess went out of business and people were selling a box of Twinkies for $20. I don't recall anyone shutting down the sellers that were gouging the public and no one was thrown in jail over it?

MMM twinkies...
Right? Or when people sell off their shares when demand shoots up. People do this on a daily basis, and no one gets outraged over it.

A few days ago, I could buy TP for about $30 on ebay. Now I no longer have that option because some pearl-clutcher deemed it immoral. I'm so sick of these people who want to impose restrictions without thinking about the actual consequences.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,946,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
So offering a bribe doesn’t matter if the person you’re bribing has the ethics to refuse it?

Got it.
Where'd I say that? Please document with my own words. My intent was to show it wouldn't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies