Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2020, 08:39 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Absolutely! LMAO...they all qualify. They need to quit pump faking!!

Seriously tho! The cost to do taxes is ridiculous nowadays. Turbo Tax is charging like $170.00 for a basic return.
I am 100% certain that no one is required to spend a penny on filing their tax returns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 11:27 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,764,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
If you have a high income and spend every dime of it, that's your problem, not mine. Didn't you ever hear the term Rainy Day Fund? Or the story of the ant and the grasshopper?
Some people paid tens of thousands to for education, and just start to work. Their net value is negative although their paycheck is decent. Not to mention 3 months' rent and deposit, etc.

Old 03-18-2020, 12:03 AM

3,850 posts, read 1,792,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It's not a refund, it's a distribution. It should be the same amount provided to every adult citizen. Anything else is a bs lie.
Agreed, this could make a real difference for people. I do think Americans that earn millions or higher will be exempt ------as they likely won't suffer financially.

I do hope every other American will be included.

Old 03-18-2020, 03:02 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,847,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
Just wanted to bump this to note that at the press conference this morning, Pence refused to say whether bailout funds will have restrictions that they can’t be used for executive bonuses.

The rich will get richer and the poor will die, which is all they want anyway.

Republicans are overjoyed that a bunch of poors might die from this.
^^^^^^

Old 03-18-2020, 03:33 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,847,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
LOL. I would buy a new fly rod and reel and invest the rest in PP&L or something like it.
I am looking forward to the "bonus," seems like hope and trump is listening, to others, that is really good.

We are in a crisis, right now, but it sounds like great minds are working to bring us out of this nightmare.

There is some good news. It's hard to stay positive; but here is a quote I found recently,

"Life is not about waiting for the Storm to Pass.......it's about learning to Dance in the Rain."

Old 03-18-2020, 06:06 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
Yes, that's true. US taxes are actually relatively flat once you include all taxes. Actually, billionaires pay less in taxes than the people at the bottom in terms of percentage of their income.
No, they're not.

Federal taxes are highly progressive:

Chart: Average Effective Federal Tax Rate by Income Group

(That chart is interesting in that it includes how federal excise taxes and the corporate income tax affects each income group. Most people don't realize that corporate income tax is included as overhead in the pricing formula for goods/services and is therefore embedded in the price of everything we buy. Corporations don't actually pay it. It's passed on to the end users/consumers. It's a hidden tax on whoever buys/rents a corporation's goods/services/etc., including those in the bottom income quintile.)

While state and local taxes are mildly regressive.

Chart: State and Local Effective Tax Rate by Income Level

The combination of the two -- the total local, state, and federal effective tax rate by income level -- is still very progressive.

The top 1% pays a total effective tax rate of 37%
The middle quintile pays... 22%
The bottom quintile pays... 14.3%

Old 03-18-2020, 06:19 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
I am looking forward to the "bonus," seems like hope and trump is listening, to others, that is really good.

We are in a crisis, right now, but it sounds like great minds are working to bring us out of this nightmare.

There is some good news. It's hard to stay positive; but here is a quote I found recently,

"Life is not about waiting for the Storm to Pass.......it's about learning to Dance in the Rain."
Buying votes is like dancing in acid rain. The government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take it away.

How are we going to pay for this?

Old 03-18-2020, 06:25 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,220,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, they're not.

Federal taxes are highly progressive:

Chart: Average Effective Federal Tax Rate by Income Group

(That chart is interesting in that it includes how federal excise taxes and the corporate income tax affects each income group. Most people don't realize that corporate income tax is included as overhead in the pricing formula for goods/services and is therefore embedded in the price of everything we buy. Corporations don't actually pay it. It's passed on to the end users/consumers. It's a hidden tax on whoever buys/rents a corporation's goods/services/etc., including those in the bottom income quintile.)

While state and local taxes are mildly regressive.

Chart: State and Local Effective Tax Rate by Income Level

The combination of the two -- the total local, state, and federal effective tax rate by income level -- is still very progressive.

The top 1% pays a total effective tax rate of 37%
The middle quintile pays... 22%
The bottom quintile pays... 14.3%
Actually according to your source, as far as state taxes go, especially sales tax they are really regressive.

https://itep.org/wp-content/uploads/...s-figure06.jpg

https://itep.org/wp-content/uploads/...s-figure08.jpg

Property and sales tax makes up a good bulk of revenue for the states. Both of these taxes are regressive across the board.

https://taxfoundation.org/sources-st...-tax-revenues/

Old 03-18-2020, 06:28 AM

9,728 posts, read 14,273,043 times
Romney is the only Republican politician I actually find repulsive. I supported him once, and am ashamed to say so. I won't be suckered in again to believing anything he says. I wish he'd migrate to the other side!

Old 03-18-2020, 06:30 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,601,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Happy to say I supported Yang and this is his idea.. a really good one at that.
This is exactly true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies